Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in my New Member post, I got my Z a few weeks ago. I had a couple friends make some snotty comments about buying a bike “this time of year”, “losing value”, etc. I had my defenses, like “doesn’t matter to me”, “could care less about your 2¢”, “bought it now to mod over the winter”, and even somewhat agreeing with them at times.

...but it got me to thinking. I want to ride as deep into the cold season as I can. I’ve bought a decent riding jacket with a thick, removable liner, full coverage helmet, nice leather armored gloves, and will soon be in the market for some quality riding pants for when the temperature REALLY dips.

How cold is too cold to ride? And what goes in on making the decision to either keep on rollin’ or hang it up for the season. My workplace is a pretty good haul, about 45-50 minutes of backroads, and I’d love to ride to and from it as much as possible.

Being from Oklahoma, we have... interesting weather here. Super Hot > Cold > ICY with very short windows for Spring and Fall. I’d obviously stay off ice or heavy rain, but I feel that if I have the right gear and experience, I could enjoy riding most of the year. I’d love any links or tips on proper (yet affordable) gear for both hot and cold seasons.

tl:dr - How cold is too cold to ride?

·
Registered
199 Posts
That depends on how much you can handle the cold. Also heated grips and vests help lots.

Just watch out as people expect bikes less in the winter than summer.

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
As a commuter I don't think I'd ride below freezing. Just not much point and I'm too lazy to give up the comfort of my heated leather.

For fun I've been out in -25deg F last year but for a short amount of time. Without studs in your tires it's pointless. Also remember that the bike won't start at around 5deg F so if you stop and park it somewhere long enough to cool down you'll be walking after that. The bike will need to park somewhere warm for a while before it will run again.

·
Registered
895 Posts
+1 YMMV

We can't give you an accurate answer. Depends too much on your gear and tolerance of cold. If you don't have a good baseline for your gear/personal limits I'd recommend taking shorter trips to find out. It's pretty rough needing to be somewhere and realizing you can't feel your hands/toes halfway there. (Ask me how I know...)

As an aside, don't feel bad at all about buying right before the off season. Having your warranty run out in April 2021 is essentially the same thing as November 2020 and after the warranty is up literally nobody will pay attention to the age of the bike beyond the model year and tire codes. So unless you were going to wait for the 2021 M.Y. to drop you really haven't lost any value by buying now. (Unless you're storing it outside I guess?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an aside, don't feel bad at all about buying right before the off season. Having your warranty run out in April 2021 is essentially the same thing as November 2020 and after the warranty is up literally nobody will pay attention to the age of the bike beyond the model year and tire codes. So unless you were going to wait for the 2021 M.Y. to drop you really haven't lost any value by buying now. (Unless you're storing it outside I guess?)
Great points! I went ahead and maxed out the warranty at 5 years (1+4) so I should be good for a while! :smile2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
buying warranty for a Z? :p

its better to spend the cash and replace whatever goes wrong with some sweet upgraded parts. best/first thing about getting a new bike is stripping out as much factory junk and putting on the good stuff :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buying warranty for a Z? :p

its better to spend the cash and replace whatever goes wrong with some sweet upgraded parts. best/first thing about getting a new bike is stripping out as much factory junk and putting on the good stuff :)
Yea yea, I know. Total noob move, but I figured if I paid it off quick and upgraded in the next year or two it may entice a potential buyer. They also gave me the extra 4 year warranty for half price since they couldn't wiggle too much on a 2020 price. And don't worry, I've purchased plenty of upgrades ready to be installed over the cold season. :|

·
Registered
75 Posts
Safety really is the key. They have more recent studies showing that driving cold or riding cold simulates the effects of being intoxicated. Poor concentration, delayed reaction time, bad decision making.
The question is simply what you can tolerate, how you gear up, and how are the road conditions.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Safety really is the key. They have more recent studies showing that driving cold or riding cold simulates the effects of being intoxicated. Poor concentration, delayed reaction time, bad decision making.
The question is simply what you can tolerate, how you gear up, and how are the road conditions.
Very interesting factoid, I'd love to read an abstract if you have one bookmarked.

Somewhat related: Even if I'm a comfortable temperature my cold weather riding gloves are so bulky that I can't operate controls quite as quickly or as accurately as my go-to summer gloves. Between 40°-55° I'd rather crank the heated grips (aka don't ride the Z) and wear my summer gloves.

(If anyone has a cold weather glove suggestion for me please PM me, I low-key hate mine if you couldn't tell)

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's no such thing... I'm in OK as well. But I'm from Washington originally. If you have good gear, and can handle a bit of cold then you can ride all year, or be a fair weather rider, It's all about how you feel about it. I rode to work this morning, it was 17degrees outside and I'm doing just fine. As a note, the z125 isn't fast enough to worry about the painful breeze that comes from highway speeds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My truck developed a gas leak so I rode my bike for about a week straight in cold temps, between 20-35 degrees. Was it cold? Definitely. But mostly only my fingertips. I layered the F up and put on wool socks, I was fine minus the finger tips. Will say, I'm glad to have my truck back lol.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Too dangerous below freezing, one small patch of ice is no big issue in a 4 wheel vehicle, can't say the same for 2 wheels. The grip your tires have is very limited in the cold, probably should be running rain tires below about 40 degrees F. Yes I've ridden in freezing temperatures knowing that when I left work it would be warm, but not something I do anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts