Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

Hose’er down?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  North East Ohio 
#1 ·
Hello all, curious on your thoughts on something. Washing the Z… I’m new to motorcycles so some tasks that are simple to most, I have some questions on. I take detailing pretty seriously on all my vehicles. Im fully loaded with chemical guys products and tools. Once or twice since owning the bike (250 miles) I’ve cleaned it with quick detailer and waterless wash.

Certainly does a decent job but I’ll be washing my car this weekend using a pressure washer and a foam cannon and thought about adding 10 more minutes to wash the bike too. I get motorcycles are mostly made to withstand mother nature but what about focused water pressure? Would power washing it and completely soaking it in soap hurt anything? Should anything get covered first to prevent problems while washing? What needs to be lubed other than the chain afterwards? Remove battery first? (Electrical hazard?) I’d like to scrub all the nooks and crannies of the engine area. Looking forward to the advice!

#3 ·
Avoiding power washers on bikes is a good idea. Power washers are ok on engines and wheels where you need that the most like head fins and underneath also counter sprocket chain lube excess areas. But areas to avoid a directed spray is to all wiring connectors on the motor and coil, plug cap, handlebar control housings. None are waterproof connectors. and avoid under the seat. The Wheel Bearing Dust Seals, Swingarm Seals, O-ring chains, are designed for typical mother nature conditions, But the extreme pressure can override the sealing force and let water in. Also avoid direct spray into the tailpipe and airbox inlet. Always re-lube the chain after washing or riding in wet conditions. I've never disconnected my battery for washing, but I don't use power sprayers and avoid everything electrical anyways except for the necessary once or twice pass over

That said, if a bike is completely covered in mud in every nook and crannies, sometimes power washing every inch including under the seat is the only option and I have done it and not had any immediate issues

#5 ·
Nothing good can come from using a pressure washer on a motorcycle, especially a street bike. We used a pressure washer on MX/trail bikes due to extreme amounts of mud but in 8 years of riding street bikes can say I never saw a need for a pressure washer on a motorcycle. There is a product called S100 that you can spray on and rinse off that gets road grime off. I can't imagine needing anything like that in 250 miles.

Never put tire dressing on motorcycle tires, you're not that good at it and it will end up on the tread and when that happens you'll end up on the road.

#6 ·
I tend to recommend people stay away from their bikes with a pressure washer.

However, I pressure wash mine all the time. All of them except my drag bike. The problems are super rare as in maybe once a year. Even then it's always something very minor (like a malfunctioning horn switch) and nothing a blow gun won't cure in a hurry. Dealers and techs pressure wash bikes constantly. Most large dealers will have 1 or 2 "yard guys" where their main job is to wash bikes all day long. The only time they use a rag is to get the spots out when they're done.

I try and stay away from wheel bearings, seals, and of course anything electrical. We obviously don't want to force water where it shouldn't be. But guilty as charged, and it's never caused me a serious issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.