Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for and opinion on this windscreen I put on the Z.
The reason I thought I'd try it is because headwind kills this little thing.
After a week with it /its like night and day,bike holds Hwy speeds so much easier but I'm not sure of the look of it/let me know your thoughts /thks

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Personally not my cup of tea. However, if it's giving you the results you were looking for and you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks. I've been asked multiple times why I bought such a small bike and told I look like a bear riding a tricycle at a circus. I bought it because it suited my needs and it's fun, screw what those people think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I get made fun of daily, mostly at work. But I also get a lot of props and thumbs up while riding it. IMO, the only people hating are the ones that haven't had the pleasure of experiencing such a fun bike. With that being said, and back to the OP, I haven't looked to much into wind screens. I feel like that one is just too tall. The distance from the top of the headlight to the top of the windscreen feels like too much to me and makes it look goofy.

·
Super Moderator
211 Posts
My opinion (take free opinions for what they're worth):

Way too big. It's not a highway bike so trying to make it one by installing a disproportionately large windscreen is kind of like trying to teach your dog to meow. Don't really see the point.

Don't forget that it's nobody else's bike. If it's putting a smile on your face it's doing it's job. +1 on "Screw them is the correct response".

·
Registered
895 Posts
The reason I thought I'd try it is because headwind kills this little thing.
Are you implying that your top speed has increased since adding it? Because that would be cool. If you are just sick of the wind on your chest you could also try bars that are lower and further forward so you aren't as upright as you break the wind.

Not going to comment on the looks, because, as has been stated, my opinion shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do like the idea of being able to cut through the wind better especially on a stock cube motor. I know we've all experienced how much speed we can pick up by going full tuck or getting into the draft of a bigger vehicle. Having a windscreen to also create this effect would be nice.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Well... the reason I asked is that all else equal I would expect a windscreen to slow the bike down not speed it up.

There is a sweet spot for windscreens where they present a more aerodynamic shape than your torso, and they effectively toss the air around your body. A little bit off in any direction and you are just pushing the air out of your way twice.

Big cruisers can compensate for this no issue and as a result they can just slap a nearly flat hunk of plexi on top of their forks. Lowers fatigue and bug splatter on your latest Sturgis t-shirt, happy rider. You would probably drop 5mph if you tried the same windscreen on a 125.

·
Super Moderator
1,747 Posts
If wind drag is your priority concern its a must have ;)

If looks is your priority concern , do YOU like the look :rolleyes:

If your asking , sounds like you need to make it pop off & on quickly to fit the priority for that specific ride :wink2:

Reactions: pistonpete

·
Registered
895 Posts
If your asking , sounds like you need to make it pop off & on quickly to fit the priority for that specific ride :wink2:
+1
Surprised this took so long to get mentioned! I had a windscreen for my SV650 that I only used for multi-day trips. It was butt ugly but after the 10th hour on the bike in a single day I didn't care. Two screws to remove it when I returned home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts