Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just found out that Honda plans to bring the CB1100 to Canada, maybe as a sort of retaliation to the Z125 Pro.

The Honda bike looks like they went full retro, seems to be the popular thing to do these days and it'll go up against the sporty Z125 Pro.

I feel like the Honda CB1100 has had a few things added to it that won't be available with the standard model.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
330 Posts

Just found out that Honda plans to bring the CB1100 to Canada, maybe as a sort of retaliation to the Z125 Pro.

The Honda bike looks like they went full retro, seems to be the popular thing to do these days and it'll go up against the sporty Z125 Pro.

I feel like the Honda CB1100 has had a few things added to it that won't be available with the standard model.

Thoughts?
I don't understand this comparison, how do you even begin to compare the two? They are bikes in completely different segments with a massive difference in price, power, cc's, the list goes on.

Exactly what criteria are you using to compare the two?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My mistake, when I saw both in the same article and both coming to Canada, I automatically assumed that both were 125cc bikes. Didn't realize until now that the CB1100 is 1140cc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, while it's a battle of extremes...I had a CB1100; and I have a z125

Two entirely-different rides, as noted. Motorcycles, much more than cars, are purpose specific. I got the Honda without thinking it through - I was shopping for an old BMW; a dealer had a K100 which turned out to be garbage. But there on the showroom floor, was that recreation of the old CB750 - faithfully retro, the way Suzuki did the TU250. But bigger.

A ride had it pleasantly neutral in the handling, if a bit cramped in position. The Z125 actually does compare to it in terms of ergonomics.

I bought, anyway. Smooth power over a wide band...air-cooled and fuel injected. Marked DOWN...how could I go wrong?

Easy. I didn't know it but I was about to have a LOT of time to ride. Meaning, I was to get put on extended layoff. What better thing to do, since I was new to the West, than go on a series of multi-week rides?

The CB1100....IS...NO...TOURER. There is no luggage; I fabbed up some. It was a bit top-heavy when done. Compared to the well-decked-out Adventure bikes, I looked like a two-wheeled Beverly Hillbilly.

The naked setup left me exposed to wind. A National windshield cut it - some. Added a lot of noise, too.

Yeah, I could have had a shop fab up cases, and tailbox...but why do that on a RETRO...cafe racer?

I did like the power. It wasn't earth-shattering, at 86 horsepower; but it would ride up effortlessly to 115 mph (where the computer would stop it; EU regulations that carried over into Stateside models).

I moved from that to a V-Strom (much better tourer, but Suzuki has quality issues today) and now have a true retro bike, a Honda GL500. It's lost in time, with only 12,000 miles on it.

Obviously I'm not going to fire that one up to go get the Sunday paper. Hard on the bike and a PITA for me...babying the choke; wheeling it out of the corner spot in the garage...and it'll barely get warm in three miles.

That's what the 125 is for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts