Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and i have a brand new 2017 in the garage that i picked up 2 weeks ago.
The first thing i did was to look into fuel controllers so i could start with some mods. After seeing the bazzaz and pcv are both piggy backing the stock ecu, adding more wire, more connectors, and requiring tapping into existing wires (which i am not willing to do), i found the hoedar stand alone ecu.
Unplug the stock ecu, plug in the hoedar, done. Sounds awesome!
So i ordered one, and it came yesterday. Problem is, no instructions, no info, no link to software, no anything, just an ecu in a box. There is 100 times more info on a $4 bag of tater tots.
I emailed rc scooters and the reply was:

"Hello

Just install it if the z125 only has exhaust and intake. Can start it and ride it. I still need to link up and do final adjustments to match better so its smoother.

If engine is modded, then dont start and wait till I link up.

Easier keep in touch on Facebook messenger or whats app or text message.

Also need a windows laptop and good wifi near the bike."

Really??? I just need some basic info to get started with this thing, i am not interested in "keeping in touch" with anybody to be able to use it successfully, nor am i interested in having someone else set it up for me. Apparently everyone with a hoedar is at the mercy of having to contact this guy and "link up" to be able to use it? Completely ridiculous. I don't do facebook, have no idea what "whats app" is, and do not have a cell phone so it's looking pretty grim for me.
I do however have a hoedar (which is currently as useful as an extra brick) and access to a laptop.

Does anyone here have any info on using this thing they can share?
If not, i am going to be looking to get my $530 back real quick.
Are there any other stand alone ecu's? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Problem is, no instructions, no info, no link to software, no anything, just an ecu in a box. There is 100 times more info on a $4 bag of tater tots.

I thought you were just kidding :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had to create a new account to get back in here, the one i created yesterday would not let me in no matter what i tried.
Thanks for the help, i was able to find the downloads with the link you posted. Unfortunately the translation makes most of it impossible to understand or comprehend.
It's just a $530 bad joke. Looks like i will be leaving the bike bone stock, which is a bummer because it won't climb the 50 mph hills around here at anything over 40 mph, and i have a ssp-g 138cc kit, Hindle pipe, Otb intake and kitaco cam in the garage that will all have to go back.
Fuel injection is really making ownership a disappointment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"nor am i interested in having someone else set it up for me. Apparently everyone with a hoedar is at the mercy of having to contact this guy and "link up" to be able to use it? Completely ridiculous. I don't do facebook, have no idea what "whats app" is, and do not have a cell phone..."

Well, I have a Hoedar ECU on my track bike and it works great, but due to the complexity of such an open architecture ECU the initial software setup is daunting for a first time user. Thankfully the US distributor is a wiz at setting it up remotely over teh internet and he had my engine running smoothly in no time. The Hoedar ECU is not for everybody as it requires some knowledge about EFI tuning and it's infinite tuning options means it's easy to get it wrong. Sounds like you should have done more research before buying it. Several other forum members on here are running them successfully.

I also have used a Dynojet PCV and Bazzaz ZFi in the past and they work well so I'm not sure why you have such an aversion to them. They are used by the majority of bike owners and their wiring is pretty easy for the average DIY owner to install and they are up and running in an afternoon. There are plenty of Z125 maps available for both to get your particular engine combo running in no time.

Maybe you can find a local tuning shop/mechanic to help you install it and your engine parts on your bike? Otherwise you might be right to just keep it stock. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only have an aversion to scotch locks and posi taps. If i go the pcv or bazzaz route i will buy another factory wiring harness and rebuild it to incorporate the controller within the harness.

I have scratch built over 15 motorcycles in my life, mostly top fuel drag bikes, but several street bikes as well. I can install the parts and ecu fine, i can tune fine. The problem is, if this guy suddenly becomes unavailable tomorrow, i (we) would be s.o.l. with out the info readily available.

That said, he did contact me today and has agreed to hook me up with the info so i can handle the setup myself. Turns out, according to him, 99% of people don't care how to use it and would rather have somebody else do it. That baffles me to no end.

So, we will see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Larger tires and the Hoedar are the 2 top items I've done so far.
Did you Receive enough info to set it up and use it yourself?
That's all i am wanting, don't want to be dependent on knowledge that is only stored in someone else's head. Hoping they will get back to me soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you Receive enough info to set it up and use it yourself?
That's all i am wanting, don't want to be dependent on knowledge that is only stored in someone else's head. Hoping they will get back to me soon.
Yeah, but I encouraged Chris to develop a manual for it. Chris was super helpful in getting the initial install set up. The internet thing is pretty cool...first time I've experienced that. The software has "Help" sections in it that are useful, but a manual is really needed. I've remapped a couple of Buells so I had some previous experience. Had the Bazzaz, but really wanted total control of things..ie timing etc. Hoedar does all that and then some. Running a 143cc engine with stock TB/injector and 2 Bro exhaust and Mtake. Getting over 100mpg as a daily commuter. Would be glad to share the file/tips with anyone that might be interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I only have an aversion to scotch locks and posi taps. If i go the pcv or bazzaz route i will buy another factory wiring harness and rebuild it to incorporate the controller within the harness.

I have scratch built over 15 motorcycles in my life, mostly top fuel drag bikes, but several street bikes as well. I can install the parts and ecu fine, i can tune fine. The problem is, if this guy suddenly becomes unavailable tomorrow, i (we) would be s.o.l. with out the info readily available.

That said, he did contact me today and has agreed to hook me up with the info so i can handle the setup myself. Turns out, according to him, 99% of people don't care how to use it and would rather have somebody else do it. That baffles me to no end.

So, we will see how it goes from here.
So if you don't like posi-taps or scotch locks, just straight wire it in. It's literally one wire. I have my PCV with autotune module wired straight into my tps wire very carefully so if it needed to be taken off, it could be covered and sealed back with the other wires cleanly. Had connection problems with the posi-tap, did this and haven't had an issue since. If you need instant access to info this is probably your only choice if you don't want to watch Chris at Hoedar do his thing setting you up, and then going from there. I'd say if you set up those types of bikes in the past though and have done efi tuning, you can get over this learning curve no problem.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a Hoedar as soon as I get my ECU recall done. I agree with the OP and would prefer that I had all the info I need to change things to my liking. I don't mind having someone do an initial set up, but I don't want to be dependent on someone else to update settings if I go BBK... mostly because I have to 'borrow' a laptop to do so. I've downloaded and archived the software and Z125 map from the link above, but if @dodge has a manual/tips/help guide, I would appreciate a copy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So if you don't like posi-taps or scotch locks, just straight wire it in. It's literally one wire. I have my PCV with autotune module wired straight into my tps wire very carefully so if it needed to be taken off, it could be covered and sealed back with the other wires cleanly. Had connection problems with the posi-tap, did this and haven't had an issue since. If you need instant access to info this is probably your only choice if you don't want to watch Chris at Hoedar do his thing setting you up, and then going from there. I'd say if you set up those types of bikes in the past though and have done efi tuning, you can get over this learning curve no problem.

I would love to hear / see how you straight wired it in?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a Hoedar as soon as I get my ECU recall done. I agree with the OP and would prefer that I had all the info I need to change things to my liking. I don't mind having someone do an initial set up, but I don't want to be dependent on someone else to update settings if I go BBK... mostly because I have to 'borrow' a laptop to do so. I've downloaded and archived the software and Z125 map from the link above, but if @dodge has a manual/tips/help guide, I would appreciate a copy.
Well, after multiple emails with Chris at RC scooters it is pretty clear he is not interested in putting anything in writing. I even offered fifty dollars for 30 minutes worth of beginner notes and he did not even respond to that part of the email. Bummer but I am sending it back. The only way to get info is to set something up to get him on the phone. I guess this would be ok if you were planning to set it up once and leave it, but I like to play and Would like some written reference material on the system, I can screw with the tune to my detriment or amazement, would not expect info on that part, just on system use. I told him I would pay a hundred dollars more for a new one if he ever develops a manual.

I am looking at the sp takegawa controller which is 100% direct plug in. Unfortunately the description is translated and it looks like it may not drive the factory tach? Does anybody have any first hand experience with that one?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Will Chris take the Hoedar back? I would think you would lose less if you sold it vs paying for return shipping...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don’t like how Chris makes multiple claims about how much power a hoedor ecu makes or how good his tune is without data to back it up

·
Registered
155 Posts
My take is that if you are going to spend big bucks on Bazzaz or other piggy-back style fuel modifiers, you might as well spend a tad more and go the Hoedar route. You can really dial your fuel map in with this thing. Got mine to the point where its running in open loop thru out the rpm/tps range. Starts great...never dies as it once did..pulls strong with afrs around 13:1 at WOT and is set up to run between 14.7:1 and 15.0:1 in the cruise cells of the map. Got 125mpg on my last tank of fuel. I'd get one for the Buells and VFR if they were available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Hoder is having a cold start issue... Too rich, have to crack throttle to start. Any idea how to change cold start ratio? I'm sure Chris would help, he's been great in the past, but don't want to bug him for every little issue! Also, should this ECU's not be learning? Saw someplace the auto tune settings are from 1-100 quicker to longer.... what is everybody setting them at?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts