Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

installed this ebay slim control switch having to splice wires etc. pretty sure i got it all wired correctly because everything but the high beam works.

when i click the high beam button, it turns off the [low beam] light.

this makes me assume either the high beam connection at the switch is defective or its wired to just interrupt the signal. im working with a AOLEAD H4 LED from amazon, which high and low beam worked with the stock control switch.

thank you for the help fam.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Reason I feel this is correct is because from the stock harness, if you touch orange power lead to the stock gray or green it makes signals work, respectively.
Orange, Green, & Gray are the Turn Signal Wires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Orange, Green, & Gray are the Turn Signal Wires. ?
Shoot sorry I'm mixing up turn signals with headlight.

If I can remember correctly, From bike: low beam is maroon yellow, high is black red. I'll double check tomorrow. Sorry about that

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
I Got these pics if it helps

TURN SIGNALS (3).JPG HEADLIGHT SWITCH.JPG HEADLIGH & BULB.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
still dont know where or how you hooked it up at. If thats the stock wiring going to the switch do you have 3 wires at switch. or is that the switch wiring coming out going down to main harness. Probably need pics of actual and inside of switch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still dont know where or how you hooked it up at. If thats the stock wiring going to the switch do you have 3 wires at switch. or is that the switch wiring coming out going down to main harness. Probably need pics of actual and inside of switch.
I'll take a pic tomorrow but yes. Stock blue yellow power goes to a black grey switch power, stock pink yellow goes to green switch low beam, and stock black red goes to brown switch high beam.

I know switch colors mean nothing until you see how it's wired into the switch, so I'll post a pic, maybe even a video tomorrow. Thank you for the help thus far.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Looks like you have OEM Black/red-stripe (high beam) going to new switch black/ white-strip power in
and Switch GREEN to OEM GREEN ?
But, Picture kind of hard to tell
Need to separate them more for me
... OR ....
If you have switch marked right (confirmed?)
Switch power in Black/white-stripe gos to OEM Blue/yellow-stripe
Switch high beam Green gos to OEM Black/red-stripe
Switch low beam Brown gos to OEM Red/yellow-stripe (LOOKS RIGHT !)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
... OR ....
If you have switch marked right (confirmed?)
Switch power in Black/white-stripe gos to OEM Blue/yellow-stripe
Switch high beam Green gos to OEM Black/red-stripe
Switch low beam Brown gos to OEM Red/yellow-stripe (LOOKS RIGHT !)
Yes this is what I have. Sorry if the pic is unclear.

Black white power in is connected to blue yellow stock power. You can see it snake under and it's heat shrunken.

Green goes to black red, you can see it's just twisted together.

Brown goes to red yellow, that's right in front.

So now what? Lol?

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
ENGINE RUNNING RIGHT ? No power to switch if not

Thinking your Switch wires color codes are wrong.
Led bulb high beam is out
New switch is bad

Let me think of some more test to try, I'll get back later

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ENGINE RUNNING RIGHT ? No power to switch if not

Thinking your Switch wires color codes are wrong.
Led bulb high beam is out
New switch is bad

Let me think of some more test to try, I'll get back later
Engine seems fine. Now that you ask it could just be placebo but sounded more bogged down. Again, possibly placebo contingent on your inquiry.

Possibly the switch being bad, maybe wrong designation of switch wires. I reached out to seller but it's Chinese translation so...

2nd is a no because I rewired stock switch and both high and low work.

Thanks for the help so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Lol, ... " IS THE " Engine running ?

Crackerjack is good with wiring stuff and Kawasakibrad.... Any Input ?

OR ANYBODY.... :unsure:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol yes. Engine is running while testing. Has to no?

I def think it's a bad switch, at least for high beam. I did swap high and low wires and no lights turn on with either high or low beam button click.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Thinking your switch wires are marked wrong.
Try, Power in OEM Bl/Y to the other two places at Green -or- Brown
Should be Brown (switch Brown & Black/w wires)

Reactions: Unseen

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried swapping the High beam wire and the power wire? If they are reversed, then the switch is connecting the low and high beam in the low position.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Crackerjack is good with wiring stuff
Thanks bud!

@Unseen I just saw this.

Do you have a multimeter? Can you measure the resistance between the switch leads on your new and old controls? It wouldn't surprise me if Kawasaki was had some black magic in the switch control (e.g. baked in resistor). Measuring the switch with a multimeter should help determine if its the switch that is bad (ergo, if resistances are the same for high and low on each units, it's likely not the switch).
If the high beam resistance is ~0ohms on the old switch, can you short the wires together on your harness and get the high beam to come on?

If I had to make an educated guess, the switch mechanism in the Kawi unit isn't a simple switch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts