Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and just bought a 2020 Z125 pro on Saturday.

I am hoping to find some good information here before I get this little machine to the track.

First question, does anyone have a guide for tire pressure on the stock tires? Looking to get a little heat here in the cold. I don't mind if they wear out quickly but wouldn't mind maximizing grip if possible.

Justin

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey. Welcome to the forums.

I'm in Vancouver Canada so our temps should be close. The stock tires are pretty awful on the track. I bought the bike and took it to a track day before starting to convert it for racing. The stock tires are okay but have to be run pretty low which also causes them to deform a bit. I started with 22 and kept decreasing them till I hit 16 or 17 psi. The more confidence you get and start to get quicker on the bike the more you notice they don't cut it. However nothing wrong with wearing them out I guess, they do give you feedback with some sideways sliding to tell you your on the edge so you know when to reign it in.

Would I do track days and have fun on them, sure. Are the competitive, nope. If your asking about the road, they are absolutely fine just drop them a few psi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm originally from Oregon and my wife and I moved back a little over 2 years ago with our kiddos. We looked at Vancouver too but the housing prices were higher than we wanted to spend. And we were coming from the San Francisco Bay Area which has some of the craziest housing prices.

Are those temps you were using hot or cold temps? I was going to start at 25 cold but if you were doing 22 cold I might start there. But today is frosty so I won't go out today unless the sun graces our asphalt :).

·
Registered
340 Posts
those are cold temps at a track. on the street where you won't get them hot especially on a cold day in the winterI wouldnt drop them that much. I think 22 is as low as I would go for the street on winter days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those are cold temps at a track. on the street where you won't get them hot especially on a cold day in the winterI wouldnt drop them that much. I think 22 is as low as I would go for the street on winter days.
Thanks, I'll start near there or even try 25 and test feel in the garage. Although the garage is a lot warmer than outside :). As soon as I feel like having numb fingers and toes I'll go out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Note that recommended pressures from Kawi are 22 front 29 rear. So I would drop the rear to 25 but dont inflate the front. I was running 16 cold on a summer day at a track for both front and rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts