Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a long shot but I figured if anybody could help it might be you fine folks. I've attached two pictures of a bolt that was on the ground near my front tire. My brother came over and wanted to try the new seat, sat on the bike and rolled it back from where I initially parked it and when he got off he saw the bolt. I've gone over the outside and under the seat as well as I can and can't find a spot where one is missing. Tomorrow I'm going to pop the sides off and go over it more extensively. I have not done any work under the ferrings, I've only replaced the seat, mirrors, and put in the Vagabond fender eliminator. The bolt has "TPC 8.8 M" on the head if that helps. It very well could be from something else or could have been kicked over on the ground or something but the bolt is nearly pristine so it can't have gone through too much abuse.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Stealth- what size socket fits on the bolt? If it is not a 10 or 8mm based on what you've been digging into may be from something else. Honestly it doesn't look familiar.

Did vagabond come with hardware? Fairings have no attachment that looks like that. Check your handlebar controls.

Ugg nothing worse than extra parts when you're done with a project.

Edit - Jim would be like "sweet weight savings!!!" hahahahaha

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vagabond came with some extra hardware but it doesn't match then. None of the bolts I've seen on the bike have markings on them like this one. Like I said I'm going to pull the sides off tomorrow and take a closer look. I'm starting to think it's not even from the bike but we'll see. If nothing else I was going to take it in for first maintenance soon so I'll see if they can check while poking around.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Honestly your inspection will be more thorough then what you will get at the dealer. I don't think this bolt is from your bike, that's my gut... but of course check for piece of mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the sides off, couldnt find a spot missing a bolt or a bolt that looks similar, so I'm just going to assume I pulled it out of wherever it was hiding when I swept the garage the other day.

Unrelated note, after pulling the side fairings off and looking at them and thinking about it with the new seat on, I definitely want to go get some plastidip and make them silver.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Unrelated note, after pulling the side fairings off and looking at them and thinking about it with the new seat on, I definitely want to go get some plastidip and make them silver.
Yes do it! I had the exact same thought when I peeped your new seat!

Ugh, extra hardware. I had an "extra" bolt when I did the water pump on my wife's Cooper. The painful part is, I knew exactly where it was supposed to go, but there were no threads to be found. Must have been a retained nut that fell into oblivion when I removed the brace and I just didn't notice... Bugged me until we sold it. I still have it sitting around to remind me not to be an idiot and take my time disassembling things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't find any bare metal bolts on the bike giving it a quick once over. Everything is zinc plated or painted. The head designates it is a metric bolt but looking over the bike all the bolts seem to be unmarked leading me to believe that bolt came from something/somewhere else other then directly from the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is a long shot but I figured if anybody could help it might be you fine folks. I've attached two pictures of a bolt that was on the ground near my front tire. My brother came over and wanted to try the new seat, sat on the bike and rolled it back from where I initially parked it and when he got off he saw the bolt. I've gone over the outside and under the seat as well as I can and can't find a spot where one is missing. Tomorrow I'm going to pop the sides off and go over it more extensively. I have not done any work under the ferrings, I've only replaced the seat, mirrors, and put in the Vagabond fender eliminator. The bolt has "TPC 8.8 M" on the head if that helps. It very well could be from something else or could have been kicked over on the ground or something but the bolt is nearly pristine so it can't have gone through too much abuse.

Any ideas?
Hello I just purchased a new KLX300. And after having it a few days I found the exact bolt wedged in the steering column near the fuel cap. I cannot find where it came from. But since you had one on your bike and I found one on mine, this has to have come from the bike. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate some info. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
400 Posts
Hello I just purchased a new KLX300. And after having it a few days I found the exact bolt wedged in the steering column near the fuel cap. I cannot find where it came from. But since you had one on your bike and I found one on mine, this has to have come from the bike. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate some info. Thanks
You do realize that this is a 2018 post?
I always applaud someone using the search function. Seems to be a lost art for some reason.
Don't hold your breath on a response though.

I'd really like to hear how/where that bolt goes.
As far as I can tell it's not OEM. But every time I say that I end up being corrected and learning something cool. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts