Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding a sound or stereo setup to the Z would be somewhat ridiculous I feel but it would be nice to listen to music without having to block off the outside world and using earplugs.

Anyone here use one of these helmet speaker attachments that let you listen to music and also hear everything going on around you at the same time? Curious at how the actual quality is. There was another brand that had one for $300 but felt it was too expensive but then somehow found this some time later on for around $120, which I would be willing to plunk down on.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've got a Sena SMH-10 installed in my helmet. I've had it about 4 years and it has treated me well. I wear ear plugs regardless but I have no problem hearing the music and/or traffic.

When I first started out, I tried one of those deals in your picture above. The one I tried was an el cheepo unit I got at an MC show. It would attach to the helmet and basically turn your helmet into the cone of a speaker. It was a neat concept, but worked terrible in practice. Basically, the wind would affect it's ability to 'vibrate' your helmet and make noise... but that was on a much larger bike than a Z with freeway speeds involved.

Long story short, buck up and buy something good.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of disappointing to read. I would say generally I'm in the 40-50mph range, I was hoping this would be something affordable and usable. Headwave was the expensive one for $299 and this is probably what I would consider a cheap version, especially since it's $120 range but everyone seemed shocked when trying it out on YouTube but that isn't saying much in real world use.

·
Registered
982 Posts
There is a stereo headset configuration for every style of helmet (including none) from some of the popular intercom brands, I'd pick one and make sure it has bluetooth to the phone for music, directions, phone, etc.

That said, I've also used wired speakers inside a full face helmet. Cord was long enough to put a music player inside a jacket pocket and play music. I've also used bluetooth receivers to helmet speakers with a lot of luck. By far the one I hated the most was the corded option.

I have a Sena unit integrated into my Bell Mag9 3/4 helmet that I use on the Harley (mostly for intercom), nothing in my Schuberth C3 helmet right now, and nothing in my Scorpion race helmet. The only thing I'd put in the race helmet would be a speaker for some kind of track control radio if the tracks ever go to anything like that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think the SMH5 is aimed at more of the 'scooter' market where bike's aren't very spread apart. But if you are just using it for music (which is all I use mine for now-a-days), they are awesome. It's like going back to a car without a radio.

·
Registered
78 Posts
+1 on the Sena. Battery seams to last forever on mine. Don't expect a "beats by dre" experience though! Sound is a little tinney but to be expected with such small speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts