Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to figure out a good way to leave my helmet on the bike and thought I'd share what I came up with. I had already installed a Vagabond Fender Eliminator on the Z. I haven't tried this with the stock license plate location, so I don't know if that is high enough for this to work.
At any rate, the mod is pretty simple. All I did was to take the stock license holder/side reflector mount that came on the bike and remove the red reflectors. Then you put the mount behind the license plate and bolt it to the plate holder. Then I took an electrical conduit clamp and cut about 3/8 inch off the end, painted it black, and bolted it up to the hole in the mount that was originally used to mount the left reflector. It makes for a pretty decent helmet hangar and I've also ordered two helmet locks so that I can replace the hanger piece with locks on each side of the mount.
The first photo shows the mount bolted up behind the license plate. The second is a little better view of the hanger, and the third is just to show a helmet in the hanger.
If you are wondering about what I made the hanger piece from, just go to Lowes or Home Depot and look in the section where they have the electrical wiring. Look for clips to secure electrical conduit to walls.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Why not use the helmet hanger built into the bike? Under the seat on the clutch side is a hook. Hook through the D-Ring on your helmet and re-install the seat. Works great... or worked great until whatever I did that makes the seat a PITA to re-install.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crackerjac,
There are two reasons I don't use the hanger under the seat.
First, I don't think putting a helmet in a position where it can rub against painted bodywork is a good idea.
Second, I'm lazy and IMO it's a lot easier to just put the helmet on a hook than to unlock the seat, take the seat off, find a place to put the seat so I can use both hands to work a helmet D Ring on a really short strap into the hanger, and then reinstall the seat.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'll have to try it out a bit first. I got pretty good with my Suzuki to the point where key in seat, hang helmet, lock seat was a 5 second process done by feel. I put the neck roll of my helmet against the paint, but that isn't really an option on an open face I guess.

I can understand wanting an easier option, my Suzuki only released the pillion and the seat release was significantly easier to reach, so maybe I'll hate the built in Z hanger, who knows?

·
Registered
875 Posts
@Spaceteach If I'm looking at easy and insecure, I toss my helmet on one of my mirrors or RAM mount X-Grip. If I want 'the illusion of secure', I toss it under the seat. It takes an extra 10 seconds and since the bike isn't moving, who cares if it touches the paint.

Don't get me wrong, that's a nifty idea and a conundrum I've faced on other bikes, just not on the Z.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where to leave a helmet is definitely a whatever works for you kind of thing, and every point you all have made is completely valid. I just figured some of you might like to see an out of the way option that uses parts a lot of us already have.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Agreed 100%

Sorry if it seemed like we were giving you a hard time, this is a cool solution that is both effective and inexpensive. Be sure to update us once you get the locking hangers installed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Where to leave a helmet is definitely a whatever works for you kind of thing, and every point you all have made is completely valid. I just figured some of you might like to see an out of the way option that uses parts a lot of us already have.

Like I said. Neat idea and a problem I've faced on other bikes. I may steal it for my big bike as the mirrors are always covered in bug guts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts