Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my new graphite Z125 Pro. I only put 30 miles on it so far in the past few days.

Is it even possible to keep this thing below 4k RPM on American roads? I can't imagine keeping that up for 600 miles, this thing is just too fun!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congrats on your purchase but it's next to impossible to keep it below 4k. Where I live it's all really rural so most of the roads I travel are 45mph and above. I ended up just staying off the redline till after my first oil change and after that it was game on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, really hard, as that's only about 40mph, LOL. I tried to keep mine under 5k for those first 600 miles, somewhat, but not totally successfully!
Had the 600 mile service done, then flogged it at a private event at Grattan Raceway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at the dealer said to keep it as low as possible into 4th then use that gear to go as fast as I need to.

I think as long as I wait until the first oil change to get up higher in the RPMs I'll be fine, and do my best to keep it below 6 or 7 before then. At least that's what I tell myself, because I don't think I have a choice!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just "break it in" like you're gonna ride it.

That break in BS has been in every Kawasaki owner's manual (from 100 cc's to 1400 cc's) since 1975. Sheesh. Ride it. Rev it. Rap it out. Go Go Go. Have fun.

That crap language is only there for Kawasaki's benefit: so they think they're minimizing their warranty risk.

Ride it Junior!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
As long as you don't Redline it break it in like you would normally ride it I had mine up to nine and a half thousand RPMs at 65 miles an hour

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im at 300 miles and never kept it low. I ran up to 7-8k with only a few miles on it. I aint skeered. It runs great now. A lot looser than it was new. I even had it up to 9.5k and it had some vibration in the bars but not much you can do with a single cylinder motor. Ride it like you stole it. I broke in my pitbike motor by running it high RPM's and its been fine for the last 4 years. Not a worry one out of me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on your purchase but it's next to impossible to keep it below 4k. Where I live it's all really rural so most of the roads I travel are 45mph and above. I ended up just staying off the redline till after my first oil change and after that it was game on.
GAME ON!! I like it!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. I took it out this evening and rode it like normal, staying away from the redline and going easy on the throttle, but not trying to baby it. I feel like it's worse for the thing when it's "bogging" at too low of an RPM for the gear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I took it out this evening and rode it like normal, staying away from the redline and going easy on the throttle, but not trying to baby it. I feel like it's worse for the thing when it's "bogging" at too low of an RPM for the gear.
Welcome! I've had the bikes in your bike list at one time or another and loved them! 1999 SV650 (road then race) and also a 1997 DR350. Welcome to the Z!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts