Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it! (The owner of the bike even gave me the green light)

I like it, but there is a lot yet TBD.

What do you think?

Cons:
* Not a great fit to the curve of the lens. There are the two big slit reliefs but they could have used a couple more smaller ones in areas. I had to work it pretty hard with heat to get all the wrinkles out.
* They printed the graphic to display correctly in a flat configuration instead of attached to the lens.... seriously?!
* Decreases headlight efficacy... at least to some unknown degree.
* Legality... it's got none, at least not in MN.

Unknowns:
* Adhesive was designed for glass, it didn't seem super sticky so I don't know how well it will last.
* I'm betting it's gonna be a huge PITA to clean bugs off of.
* Haven't put it back on the bike yet, no idea how much it will scatter/block light.
* As Greg_E pointed out, some racing orgs might let you use this product in lieu of tape.

Pros:
* [subjective] Looks great! Tones down the bright chrome of the reflector and ties into the black bodywork. Fits well with the "tough but playful" theme of the Z125. Inverted throwback to simple "X" taped lenses for racing.
* Bang for Buck. It was $20. That's a big visual change for not too much cash, therefore I won't be too heartbroken if it ends up being a failed experiment.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Very cool. If you want a side-by-side comparison hit me up. We can line the bikes up and take a couple shots.... Just not when it's 11 freaking degrees out....

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just not when it's 11 freaking degrees out....
I was gonna say...

It's living inside for the time being to give the adhesive half a chance of setting up properly. Probably fine 48 hrs later, but its not like I need it for anything for the next 5-ish months. =/

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the green eye one. At night it is harder to see for sure! i haven't pulled it off yet, but i bought a LaminX headlight cover. it is green tint basically it doesn't look as cool but i think I will be able to see at night better

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the first hand knowledge. Are you running the OEM halogen bulb?

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Not going to name names or point fingers........but I have personally seen MULTIPLE situations where something like that ended up holding too much heat and subsequently melting the lens.

Keep a close eye on that and let us know if you have any issues. ;)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I did notice that despite being printed on white vinyl the backside was black. I figured that was to cut down on internal reflection and allow the beam to actually pass out of the lens, but it will also absorb a bunch of light/heat. I'm hopeful that the switch from halogen to LED may help heat a bit.

The instructions that came with it were for putting up store front advertisements so this clearly isn't the intended use of this product.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not going to name names or point fingers........but I have personally seen MULTIPLE situations where something like that ended up holding too much heat and subsequently melting the lens.

I've seen it too. A track days when guys tape up their lights but don't unplug them. The adhesive has some sort of chemical reaction and hardens onto the plastic - bam, wrecked headlights. And on supersports that's big big $.

Personally, I'd just put a decal on and unplug the headlight and ride around like that. Yeah, breakin the law, breakin the law. Plug the light back in if you get stuck on the road at night.

I'm thinking of going for Angry Birds eyes on the front of my headlights. I'm mostly track anyway.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeesh, you guys are making me nervous now. Lens is only sold as the complete sealed headlight assembly which is ~$280 from what I found. It may not be a super sport replacement but ~10% of the value of the bike is nothing to be sneezed at.

I suppose worst case scenario I'll end up with a cool round headlight like Z125Rider. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Yeesh, you guys are making me nervous now. Lens is only sold as the complete sealed headlight assembly which is ~$280 from what I found. It may not be a super sport replacement but ~10% of the value of the bike is nothing to be sneezed at.

I suppose worst case scenario I'll end up with a cool round headlight like Z125Rider. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Confirmed it's one piece sealed lens PN 23004-0362 $270CDN. Yikes! I didn't realize it was that much either.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey, what about switching to an LED headlight? They run much cooler.

Oh and I've seen some supersport headlights destroyed in the $500-$600 range.

Edit: oh I see you mentioned LED in a post. Yeah that would help.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey Fishstik, no sweat on turn around, I'm not paying you. ;] I am becoming increasingly interested in how well your graphic comes off when you decide to switch to the LaminX film.

Perfect timing though, I was just returning to this thread to post some before/after pics.

On a subjective front I fitted the other LED to my BMW and was impressed with the output and cutoff (at least in the garage).

Through the power of manual mode on a DSLR I never quite mastered I have some relevant comparison photos. I say relevant because the ubiquitous smart phone photos of lighting changes are useless. The program running the camera sensor in your smart phone automatically adjusts to get you a photo with adequate white balance and exposure. So... all three photos are the same aperture and exposure. The OEM was taken on a different day so the bike/headlight/tripod may not be in the same places, get over it.

Results:
In a word? Ick!

The OEM is pretty clearly better. Because I found good results in another reflector/lens I'm going to blame most if not all of the issues on the AMR graphic. If you only looked at the thumbnail on the original post the graphic is printed on vinyl stock with a pattern of holes removed. These holes, in addition to the two actual slits to allow the vinyl to conform to the lens shape result in the diffraction seen in the photos. The actual cut line of the light projection can still slightly be seen under all the noise, leading me to believe that the LED alone would have a nice clean cut-off.

The noise above the cut is not ideal, but I'm not too worried about people flashing their high beams at me in a blind (hah) rage. Partially this is because... It's just not that bright. Again, I'm mostly blaming the graphic here, but overall the amount of light thrown is about the same as stock if not less and it's not even pointed in the right direction. =/ I'll admit that the light output didn't wow me on the other bike either. Probably a 15%-20% increase over the halogen I took out. Mostly I like the color better, I think it's easier to spot things that aren't asphalt with cooler light. I think this is the most noticeable change and why youtubers rave about these cheapo LEDs. Cold white light just looks brighter. Then again, I was a bad scientist and changed two variables at once, I've never seen the LED in the Z125 reflector with a clear lens.

I also noticed that the highbeam doesn't seem that... high? The output definitely increases and I think these drivers are set-up to run all 4 diodes simultaneously on high beam operation. But you don't get a ton more light above the cut line. Doesn't bode well for bombing corners at night. Sorry... it somehow didn't occur to me to take a picture of the OEM highbeam. My bad.

Summary:

It's not great... Would I do it again? No. At this point I'm in love with the graphic enough to give it a shot and see how it works because it's "close enough" to OEM, but it's definitely a downgrade in performance for the sake of cosmetics. That's right, I just installed the equivalent of high heels. >.<

Anyway, I hope my experimentation/documentation has amused at least one person here.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts