Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a kawasaki Z125, I own a Grom as well.

Here are just a few of my thoughts.
The Z125 is seriously a better bike all the way around. The bike is much more agile as well. I have been riding it around town.
There is definitely less vibrations coming from the Z125 than the Grom. Suspension is waaaay better on the Z125.
The biggest thing that I believe makes the difference between the two bikes is the tires. I am so much more confident on the Z125 than I am on the Grom. I can lean without worrying while on the Grom lowsiding is on the back of my mind. I will be replacing the tires soon plus I have new rear sets on my Grom.

The cool thing about the Z125 is that I feel like I dont have to spend anywhere near as much money to get the bike working the way I want to, intake, exhaust, tune and maybe different rates to fine tune my suspension for racing but thats about it, heck even the bars, I feel like I can keep them stock (it looks as if its already as low as it can be, I feel as if there would be some interference with a lower bar whether it be the tank or my knees).
On the Grom I have already replaced the rear shocks, as well as the front fork internals just to have it ride proper. I have also had to replace the clutch cover so that I can have an oil filter, and rear sets just so that I can take a corner without bottoming out my pegs.

It may be lower on power but it doesnt feel like it at all, in fact because of the gearing it should be quicker around a track than a Grom.

Next track day I will be taking the Z125.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think the Grom is lacking in some areas because Honda expect owners to put in the work whereas Kawasaki wants the Z125 to be a great bike as is for new riders. Are you going to keep the Grom now that you have the z125?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think the Grom is lacking in some areas because Honda expect owners to put in the work whereas Kawasaki wants the Z125 to be a great bike as is for new riders. Are you going to keep the Grom now that you have the z125?
The thing is the Grom is more expensive, made in Thailand, the suspension is incredibly sloppy. The front forks.... crazy. My Z125 is having fork issues where I can hear the air in them, but I would still choose these over the Grom forks in perfect condition. I just dont understand how Honda decided on the rates to spring that bike.

Yes I will be keeping the Grom. The local races are grom specific so I gotta keep it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You also have to look at the long term. So someone looking for big aftermarket support can easily support the idea of going Grom, even if it means buying used to save even more right from the start, in the end giving them a lot more for their money, the way I see it the overall end will be ideal for them. It helps if your a hands on type of person.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's tons of aftermarket for the grooms and I will admit it does make me a little jealous at times but.. I just believe the z125 is a stronger more durable platform in many ways previously discussed and what keeps me happy is all our aftermarket companies are doing a great job pumping out new parts accessories and some good r&d so I'm satisfied.. I will mention one thing when I bought my z125 I hardly knew anything about it did some research and intended to buy a grom.. I walked into the dealership both bikes were side by side I sat on the grom and it felt like I was sitting on a water bed remember I'm 6.2" 225lbs... Anyways I said to my self ahh great the s going to be a fun toy.. Then. Immediately sat on the z and it was night and day for me.. Looking closer that day on quality of plastics fasteners wiring and ergonomics I was sold on the z now my battle is opening up the space in the cockpit.. When I take the plunge into some rear sets and adjust my handle bar position forward about a half inch it will be great but that was my experience I'm a z junkie but I'm an enthusiast. And love the grom as well.. Well like the red headed step child! Lol

You also have to look at the long term. So someone looking for big aftermarket support can easily support the idea of going Grom, even if it means buying used to save even more right from the start, in the end giving them a lot more for their money, the way I see it the overall end will be ideal for them. It helps if your a hands on type of person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was a total Honda fanboy and was hating on the Z for shamelessly copying the Grom. That is, until I bought one. Everything seems much more precise and the only thing I really liked better about the Honda were the front brakes. It's almost as if Kawasaki waited to see what was wrong with the Grom and then fixed that on the Z.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was a total Honda fanboy and was hating on the Z for shamelessly copying the Grom. That is, until I bought one. Everything seems much more precise and the only thing I really liked better about the Honda were the front brakes. It's almost as if Kawasaki waited to see what was wrong with the Grom and then fixed that on the Z.
Sounds like Honda is going to have to really step up their game for next year if they continue to sell the Groms, which I fully expect them to since it has been so popular.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My brother is picking up a '17 Grom this week. I'll compare the 2 myself and see what I come up with. He would not listen I told him to go Z but he didn't like the gray :D:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you finally have them both and start racking up the miles I'm curious please keep us updated

My brother is picking up a '17 Grom this week. I'll compare the 2 myself and see what I come up with. He would not listen I told him to go Z but he didn't like the gray :D:D

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone following developments around the van van 200? Hate to make it sound like i'm trying to take away from the forum but if you haven't bought a z125 as yet, check out the van van, might be worth waiting for, all depending on what you're looking for in a bike of course.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Anyone following developments around the van van 200? Hate to make it sound like i'm trying to take away from the forum but if you haven't bought a z125 as yet, check out the van van, might be worth waiting for, all depending on what you're looking for in a bike of course.]

That bike is not even comparable to the z125 or grom. Its got two wheels but its a total different target market.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suzuki should make a 125cc to target the same market as the grom/z125

The Z is still definitely a better bike all around stock for stock, but fixing it up gives me a headache with every mod.

Also my Z is having starting issues in the mornings, which is a pain for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts

The Z is still definitely a better bike all around stock for stock, but fixing it up gives me a headache with every mod.

Double key turn to prime fuel and a slight twist of the throttle should help. I've already dealt with 40*F morning cold-starts and haven't had any issues. How many miles?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Anyone following developments around the van van 200? Hate to make it sound like i'm trying to take away from the forum but if you haven't bought a z125 as yet, check out the van van, might be worth waiting for, all depending on what you're looking for in a bike of course.
That bike is not even comparable to the z125 or grom. Its got two wheels but its a total different target market.

Van-Van is a completely different bike, but I agree both Suzuki and Yamaha need a competitor. Maybe a Yamaha fz125?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Double key turn to prime fuel and a slight twist of the throttle should help. I've already dealt with 40*F morning cold-starts and haven't had any issues. How many miles?
I have about 4000 miles on the bike.
I have been trying the slight twist, and also allowing the fuel pump to prime a few times. Granted i have been doing those steps in random order in the mornings (Ex. One morning I would crack the throttle and start the motor, if it doesn't start I will turn key off and on and do it again. Next morning I would prime the fuel and not crack the throttle, if it doesn't start I will crack the throttle and start it. The next morning I would just try to start it without doing any of those.)

Anyways I'll adjust the valves soon maybe Change the spark plugs.

maybe the bike is just bad luck for me. I have had very strange issues recently. My left peg and gear shifter strangely bent so I have to pidgin toe to shift... odd because I never dropped it. The weird thing is I tracked it and leaned it over to the right side enough to snap off the little nub that comes off the peg on the right side, but the left side is still in tact. Took it to the dealer and they are fully convinced I dropped it. I know I never have, I ride my bike to work and I leave it in my office, I keep my bike garaged, and I don't ever take my bike out to run errands, so the possibility of my bike being tipped over in a parking lot, is non existent.

On Tuesday this week, I took it into a shop to get my rear tire replaced. When I rode my bike out I heard a constant squeal coming out of my front brakes. I took it back over to them, and of course I felt a little awkward pointing a finger at them considering they shouldn't have touched the front at all. And sure enough they tell me they ever touched the front, and with a quick test ride they told me that my front brake rotor is warped. Wtf..... how would they warp.... I feel like maybe they banged the front rotor on something while pushing my bike around and bent it.

I understand they are all cheap fixes but they are still a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's pretty sexy, my Jetta is a similar color and I was considering color-matching the Z when I paint the car :grin2:
I plastidipped my z. This wasn't intentional but it ended up matching my car. Car is not plastidipped but looks good together.

On a side note if you track I would not reccomend plastidipping.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I plastidipped my z. This wasn't intentional but it ended up matching my car. Car is not plastidipped but looks good together.

On a side note if you track I would not reccomend plastidipping.
That white looks dope! Ultimate upsidedownneckbreaker pic yo :grin2::grin2:

I don't see myself on a track anytime soon lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts