Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many z125 shocks are available right now

but my friend brought over his stock grom shock, and from only looking it seems the same as the z125

Now the z125 stock shock is larger is diameter, but length and connections look similar to the grom

Which MAY mean grom aftermarket MAY work

Since there are quite a few grom shocks out there it may be one of those things others will have to verify

as I really don't see purchasing a grom shock yet....
I would like to lower the rear a couple inches so if I do find a lower grom shock I may get one

anyways I measured the grom shock
next time I have my body panels off which will be soon I can confirm the stock z shock length

overall length, outside to outside almost 10 3/4

looks same length

EYE to EYE 9-1/2

if anyone else has mounted a grom shock, please post which brand, and if it lowered or raised the height of the bike

So far I'm satisfied with the stock
but would like a way to lower the bike a few inches

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious if any grom big bores will fit with minimal work
sadly I don't have my engine apart to see if any stock grom bores fit as I have access to some

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm curious if any grom big bores will fit with minimal work
sadly I don't have my engine apart to see if any stock grom bores fit as I have access to some
They won't that's Honda to Kawasaki that's like apples to oranges the motors internally are entirely different. However the z 125 motor is just a klx 110 motor that has been bored to a 125. So there is a much better chance to buy say the 183cc big bore kit for the klx 110 and slap it on your z but if you do that it's likely you will have to buy a bigger injector and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a KLX110L rear shock on my CRF70 and it fit perfectly and gives the bike a much better ride that wont allow me to bottom out when hitting jumps. I dont any reason why the Grom aftermarket shocks wont fit unless there is an external reservoir that wont fit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
290 Posts
if your willing to get shocks from thailand I saw quite a few cheaper ones on eBay for the grom

since the grom looks like it will fit with no issues
Shocks for Groms won't work for the Z, they're too long......

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got the shock in today
much larger outside diameter then I was expecting
now on a grom thats not too much of an issue as it mounts in the center nothing really in the way

our z we have the frame in the way

since I was trying to lower the bike I set the spring to the softest
this made the low area of the spring hit

the top hit too, but I think if I tightened the spring a lot more, maybe placed it upside down it would clear everything

but then the bike would probably be higher doing that when sitting on it

also one other thing, the bolts only went out maybe half of the threads because the eye holes were much thicker too
so you would need to use longer bolts

I guess when looking for aftermarket shock not sold for the z the outside diameter of the spring is important
try to keep that as close to stock as possible

my hunt for lowering has not come to an end yet, but I need to see someone else post lengths of shocks and see them installed before I buy another one
unless its specifically sold to fit the z 125

stock z125 and stock grom shock
basically the same height

this was putting the new shock on where the adjusted was on the bottom so as you see it here the spring hits the frame
I had mention installing it upside down it may fit, but would make it harder to adjust the ring

and here was holding it upside down
I think it was going to fit I can't remember now
anyways its not going to work easily

as looked a touch longer then the stock shock
the springs are way to hard to measure by hand so can't say for sure if the bike would sit lower once installed

·
Registered
38 Posts
LOL didnt know KW makes shocks for bikes. If those shocks are anything like their car shocks, they are twin tube so they wont work if they are flipped upside down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts