Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a Z125 yet, but I've been watching local listings to find one used. They rarely pop up, much less anywhere near my area. New ones are even more scarce, and greatly marked up. Well, today one appeared, for a good price. Only thing is it's got some graphics on it, the Monster Energy set. Has anyone removed these before? Is it a huge pain? I don't mind putting in the work to get them off, certainly not going to walk away from a good deal over it, just curious what I'm in for should I get it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
One of the years of the Z125 Kawi ran a deal to get a free decal kit with any new Z. So you do see a lot of used ones with the decals. I think removal mostly involves working them off with a heat gun. Should be OK if you take your time.

Welcome to the forum BTW! (I'm always wary of "____ owner's club" type forum names as it doesn't encourage interested parties to register and ask questions before buying.)

My D'Cor graphics are basically coming off on their own, so I wouldn't be terribly worried.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2018 had a graphics kit on it which I removed. It was fairly easy. I used a hair dryer on high heat and a plastic scraper. Once removed I used Goo Gone to get up any remaining glue and then waxed. Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Just what I was hoping for, easy removal, lol.

Must've been the 2017's that had that offer, as nearly every '17 I see has a graphics kit on it. The KRT editions are decent looking, but I can't stand the rest of 'em.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't have a Z125 yet, but I've been watching local listings to find one used. They rarely pop up, much less anywhere near my area. New ones are even more scarce, and greatly marked up.
Jeez. In my area, new ones are $500 cheaper than used, and easily found. One dealer still has new '19s for $2222 with no fees.

BTW, new plastics are pretty cheap if you find one that's rashed up you could probably go for it, get new plastics and come out ahead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez. In my area, new ones are $500 cheaper than used, and easily found. One dealer still has new '19s for $2222 with no fees.

BTW, new plastics are pretty cheap if you find one that's rashed up you could probably go for it, get new plastics and come out ahead.
Your're lucky. The Bay Area sucks for this sort of thing. New ones, if you can find them, are either MSRP, or $1-200 below, before sales tax(minimum 9%, and more depending on county), assembly, registration, and destination charge. Typically you are looking at $3700 minimum to get a new one, and that's if it's a leftover from last year. Groms are even worse. Used Z125's go anywhere from $2800-3200. And again, used Grom's are much more. Huge demand for these little bikes here, and very limited supply, plus lots of people with money to spare, and you end up with sky high prices. There's not many dealers, and even fewer that carry the mini's. The most you will see at a dealer, is one Z, and they might get one or two Groms every few months.

Where have you found the plastics? I looked around, and not many places seemed to have them, and they were not cheap, at least not compared to Grom, where you can do a whole painted set for about $150-ish. It would be fun to do a custom color myself.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't want to knock the decal kits, but what do you think? When I was buying my new Z, the dealer was trying to sell me on a 2018 that they had custom wrapped.... and it looked terrible. Brand new on the showroom floor and the edges looked like they were already starting to come up... Are the OEM graphics any better?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I paid around 2700 USD all in for my brand new one in Canada..... I think anything more and just step into a 250cc. The gsx-250r has a rebate right now so u can buy one cheap here. Again not sure about you guys south of the border.

The problem we have is used bike pricing is ridiculous. People ask for more or the same as a price of a new bike. A few good deals come up but not often.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I don't want to knock the decal kits, but what do you think? When I was buying my new Z, the dealer was trying to sell me on a 2018 that they had custom wrapped.... and it looked terrible. Brand new on the showroom floor and the edges looked like they were already starting to come up... Are the OEM graphics any better?
Ah bummer! I was going to find the one you mentioned (it was there when we bought our Z last fall) but someone apparently bought it!

OEM decals are definitely higher quality. I think the biggest issue is that the D'Cor and Factory FX kits were born in motoX so they are designed to take a hit. The resulting decal is super thick and inflexible. I don't know if you've noticed but the tank shrouds on the Z are crazy convoluted so the thick decals don't follow them very well and the small points try to pull up.

Personally I like my kit. It IS a D'Cor kit but apparently the Eli Tomac kits were installed by Kawasaki, not the dealer or some local "professional". If it were just Monster logos instead of a MX livery it would be in the trash already, but I like it for now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I see there are a few cheap ones in Oregon and south washington on craigslist. its a nice hwy ride taking the 101 or load it up in a truck and take it home (rent a uhaul van, strap it to the back and bring it home if a truck is not available, just dont tell uhaul you plan to put a motorcycle in the back of the van). Don't spend more than 2200 USD on a used one.

Are the prices in WI including fees or not? Cause if that is with fees that is cheap. How much is the tax on vehicles?
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/d/cedarburg-2017-kawasaki-z125-pro/6962115201.html
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcd/d/west-bend-2019-kawasaki-z125-pro/6963580073.html

·
Registered
933 Posts
Includes the usual dealer/assy/transport fees already. Just need to pay tax/title/reg for the state it's being registered in. I think final OTD price was ~$2500 for me. They are legit shockingly good deals.

I tried buying a Z from those guys and they told me they couldn't do a remote sale of a new vehicle, only used. Sounded like BS to me, but something to keep in mind.

Why would Uhaul care if you put a motorcycle in a van as long as it's clean when they get it back? I like the suggestion!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Includes the usual dealer/assy/transport fees already. Just need to pay tax/title/reg for the state it's being registered in. I think final OTD price was ~$2500 for me. They are legit shockingly good deals.

I tried buying a Z from those guys and they told me they couldn't do a remote sale of a new vehicle, only used. Sounded like BS to me, but something to keep in mind.

Why would Uhaul care if you put a motorcycle in a van as long as it's clean when they get it back? I like the suggestion!
Well if WI was closer to OP then go new, however as it is a bit far for him/her I believe so driving north across to Oregon for a used one with a uhaul rental if a truck is not available is the cheapest option.

These bikes are definitely fun and cheap however there's a certain price point where its better to step up as you get way more bike. The only reason I bought one is due to how cheap they are, if someone told me it would cost as much as a gsx250 or cbr300 clearance prices then i would say no thanks to the z125. Therefore on a used bike cap yourself at at 2200 USD price point and new around 2700 max.

Did the gsx250 never make it to the US market? It got terrible reviews but clearance price on them is great right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing is, these are unique niche bikes, really no comparison to the 250cc+ bikes. And really, they're just toys, at least to me they are. Heck, I've already got a Ninja 1000 with Ivan's tune and some headers, so I'm all set as far as "moving up" is concerned, lol. Now I just want a little putt putt bike to explore and hoon around on.

You are right though in regards to cost, tough to justify when they approach bigger bike prices, which is why I'm ignoring new ones in the area. Even if a new one could be bought out of state, I still need to pay sales tax on it here, and then register it($200+), and as an added bonus, since the bike would be coming from out of state, I would have to take it to a DMV office, so that they can inspect it and make sure it's stock and has the CA emissions compliance sticker on it.

Like Ando, I found out of state dealers will not ship a new bike.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Agreed... if you can get the same kicks on a full sized 17" wheel small bore, absolutely go for it. The form factor holds it's own value beyond just the numbers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Small motor on a big bike is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion. The draw to these bikes is that they're lightweight and small framed and the engine is of relative size. What's the point of a scooter sized motor in a full sized bike? The same way how I couldn't imagine living in the 70s with big heavy sedans in choked out 150hp V8's.

·
Registered
933 Posts
To be fair, we are talking about the 250-400 class not the 14hp full framed 125s in Europe and India.

So the motors scale up with the bike... But that's kinda the point isn't it? Once you scale it up to "small motorcycle" proportions it's no longer a toy and instead it's just a small bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Nice track day pics bud. May I ask, when you said plastics are not that expensive for this z125, where did you get your new set of plastics? I'm not seeing a lot of choice out there from googling. Just dealer or ebay Thailand - about high $300's for a full set. Is that around what you paid? Thanks man

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey bud. Old thread. What I posted in 2019 for costs for plastics and bikes may not be applicable anymore. It's a whole new pandemic world with supply issues everywhere now.

These days dealer lots are depleted and parts are harder to come by.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice track day pics bud. May I ask, when you said plastics are not that expensive for this z125, where did you get your new set of plastics? I'm not seeing a lot of choice out there from googling. Just dealer or ebay Thailand - about high $300's for a full set. Is that around what you paid? Thanks man
Yep, it's just like Zaph said. I looked around as I was considering a color change, but they're around $300. Sometimes you can find a used set on Ebay for a little less, just need to keep and eye out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts