Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of my Harleys are down for rebuild/repair, and I was tired of not riding. Was looking for something simple and cheap, and found the Grom. Such a neat bike, but I'm just not a Honda fan. Then I saw the Z125, and knew I'd found what I wanted. I scoured Craigslist, and not a single used one in Florida. Looked up local dealers, and found a place with 4 leftover '17s. $2300. Couldn't pass it up.

Bought it yesterday and had to go straight to work. Didn't get to ride it till I got home at almost midnight. Fired it up and went around the block. I love it. So much fun.

And it's already time for mods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Both of my Harleys are down for rebuild/repair, and I was tired of not riding. Was looking for something simple and cheap, and found the Grom. Such a neat bike, but I'm just not a Honda fan. Then I saw the Z125, and knew I'd found what I wanted. I scoured Craigslist, and not a single used one in Florida. Looked up local dealers, and found a place with 4 leftover '17s. $2300. Couldn't pass it up.

Bought it yesterday and had to go straight to work. Didn't get to ride it till I got home at almost midnight. Fired it up and went around the block. I love it. So much fun.

And it's already time for mods.
I've had plenty of big bikes - although never a Harley - but a BMW R1200 GS, and a Honda CB1100. And...frankly...in urban environs...bigger is NOT better.

The Z, like other small, light cycles, can be tossed in curves in a way you wouldn't DARE with a big, heavy, ponderous road-eater. And while the little 125 isn't fast, it's faster than traffic, and that's plenty fast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loves my Harleys, and look forward to riding them again. I loves my Z125, too. I Still have my first bike, a Suzuki GZ250. I've ridden it from Jacksonville to western NC and back. That's 1,000 miles round trip. I wouldn't punish my Z or myself with that foolishness, but I could. The Z is great for what it is. A commuter. It's almost too slow for where I am now (SE corner of Tampa Bay).

But like my dad said, boats and motorcycles can only be good at one thing. If you want to do more than one thing, you're gonna have more than one boat or motorcycle.

One thing I wish the metrics would steal from Harley. Blinkers. Independent switches, one on each side. And self cancelling.

What I wish HD would get on board with? Ease of maintenance.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I loves my Harleys, and look forward to riding them again. I loves my Z125, too. I Still have my first bike, a Suzuki GZ250. I've ridden it from Jacksonville to western NC and back. That's 1,000 miles round trip. I wouldn't punish my Z or myself with that foolishness, but I could. The Z is great for what it is. A commuter. It's almost too slow for where I am now (SE corner of Tampa Bay).

But like my dad said, boats and motorcycles can only be good at one thing. If you want to do more than one thing, you're gonna have more than one boat or motorcycle.

One thing I wish the metrics would steal from Harley. Blinkers. Independent switches, one on each side. And self cancelling.

What I wish HD would get on board with? Ease of maintenance.
Your dad is exactly right. A touring bike is USELESS for commuting. The Z125 would be ridiculous, and abused, trying to eat highway miles.

I remember a few times I needed to get across my small town, and the only bike I had was the BMW. What a project...off the center stand, fire it up; get in the gear - because that thing was HEAVY and if it went down, you WERE gonna get hurt. Let it warm gently for a minute or so, then ease it out into traffic...and in two minutes you were at your destination.

Almost more work than walking. My little bike of the time, a Suzuki TU250...you just hopped on it, started it, and went to it. More nimble in traffic. I don't recommend going bareheaded, but I have done it a few times - always on smaller bikes, that's just my foible.

As for turn switches: BMW has them on both sides. I'm agnostic on that - I don't see advantages either way. Self-canceling: My 1982 Yamaha SR500 had them; and it was not a luxury ride. I thought it was nifty; but then, when I wiped out, totalling it...I was off two wheels for 20 years. When I got back into it, self-canceling was gone, except on the spendiest of BMWs.

And Harleys, too, I guess. Not sure why.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts