Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Have anyone here changed this fat *** OEM primary gear to Gojin?

I need some help removing this bolt, either way is going to move when torque is applied.

Any help?

Thanks!
LP

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Folks!

Below, what they say at Steadygarage.com, about this product. No Special Tool Needed. Although a special tool is indeed needed for its proper installation.

Gojin Light Weight Primary Gear for Kawasaki Z125 Pro
SKU #: GJ-1029
$60.00

Gojin Light Weight Primary Gear for Kawasaki Z125 Pro.

Best bang for the buck for a quicker throttle response is by reducing rotational weight!

Direct swap with no special tools needed.

These are in stock and ready to go!*

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the bike in gear?? I would think that would keep anything from spinning when trying to turn that bolt....
The engine is apart from the frame. I took it to the local dealership and the salesman, told me he and his wife had the same issues by trying to install themselves at their garage (they have two Zs), and end up paying the service guy to do it. It needs a special tool for fact, and you also must remove the whole clutch. I left the engine there, and they will charge one and half hour service to do it ($138), two times more expensive than the part itself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of time for that job. When I installed mine I just used an air impact gun to remove the nut after shoving a shop rag in between the gear teeth(unless you already have the special tool). Then use a torque wrench and the rag again to torque it to 40 ft/lbs. A rag won't damage the gear teeth like a metal tool can. I hope that 1.5 hours you are being charged included removing the cover, clutch basket, etc and then reinstalling everything. Because that is a lot of time to install just a single primary gear. But you will enjoy your quicker revving engine afterwards.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i just did mine yesterday dewalt impact driver with a 19 mm socket removes it pretty easy. you can remove the stock primary without removing the clutch basket ( it is tight though ). install of the lightened primary is a bit trickier with the clutch in, just a bit of trial and error to line it up and tap it in lightly to get past the clutch basket. the rag trick didn't work for me, it just ate the rags i tried, so i used an old knife sheath that was nylon with a thin kydex internal sleeve (it got chewed a bit but i did get the gear to a 45ft/lb torque). then just reassemble everything and fill with oil.

Is the bike in gear?? I would think that would keep anything from spinning when trying to turn that bolt....
i had mine in 4th gear, it did not help as much as you would think. i did the install in my stone driveway and the tire would turn digging into the stones, i imagine if it was on pavement the bike would try to roll unless you had the brakes locked up somehow.

everything took me about 25-30 minutes and i took a bit of that just to line up the gears. so an hour and a half is a ripoff and a half.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had no issue getting it off just holding with a rag, but you could always get a strap wrench(rubber probably) which could be used for other stuff as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts