Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I am considering buying a Z125 Pro, I have never ride a motorcycle before but I always have this dream of owning one.
I go to college in NYC, lots of traffic and rude drivers.
The dealer near me offered a spring sale on z125 Pro which made it very very very affordable, $1,999 USD yes you heard me right.
I don't think I can get better deals other than this one.

Just a few general questions that concern me, appreciate any sort of help:smile2::
1. Do I have to have a motorcycle permit to purchase the bike? (Is it hard to pass?)
2. What protective gears are ABSOLUTELY necessary? (I do not want to wear an armored suit to class:) )
3. I always heard people talking about "as long as you take care of your bike, your bike will last very long". What kind of taking care it is? Sorry I am absolute newbie out here. Please help me out. Thanks!
4. Do I have to worry about theft on my Z125 pro? I mean it is a pretty bike but will thieves risk their lives on a 2000 dollar bike? If it is necessary which lock I should purchase? Thanks!

If you have more suggestions for a rookie rider please comment below!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not sure if you need a permit to purchase a bike, the dealer should know, but you'll need one to ride it home. The best thing you can do is take an MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) beginner course. They will provide a bike and teach you how to ride. I'm not up on the current requirements, but it used to be you needed to have your permit to attend, then if you pass, it waives the roadtest. In NY, check out Trama. Trama's Auto School | Motorcycle School -

I'm a firm believer in ATGATT. All the gear all the time. At the very least you need a good helmet, leather or textile jacket with armor in the shoulders and elbows, motorcycle riding gloves and motorcycle boots, over the ankle. I strongly recommend riding pants, too. There are decent options for kevlar-lined jeans with removable knee and hip pads that would be easier to wear to class.

By taking care of you bike, they are referring to doing the maintenance. On a bike like the Z, or really any Japanese bike, this is oil/filter changes at the recommended intervals, keeping the battery maintained, changing brake fluid once a year. It will need a valve check/adjustment, but not till several thousand miles - I forget the exact number, but probably over 10k - just a guess, I don't have my manual handy.

Theft? in NYC? Yeah, probably a concern. Where will it be kept? It's s light bike and easy to pick up. Probably not a prime target compared to other more expensive bikes, but still. Not sure about what kind of lock, most of them can be cut, so it's just a deterrent.

Make sure you take a rider course!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! Appreciate!
I will take a motorcycle safety course first before anything else.
For helmet I am looking at Arai for about $300~400 range? City driving should be no more than 40mph most of the time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you so much! Appreciate!
I will take a motorcycle safety course first before anything else.
For helmet I am looking at Arai for about $300~400 range? City driving should be no more than 40mph most of the time.
Speed doesn't matter when selecting a helmet, every crash is different. A good rule is to get the best gear you can afford. An Arai is one of the best, and the brand I've been wearing for the past 25 years. Fit is extremely important. I purchase Arais at The Service Pavilion. TSP - The Service Pavilion Home
For no extra charge they will properly fit you, changing out cheek, crown pads as needed. Even making custom pads if needed. They're out in PA, worth the trip. I think they do online fitting as well. It's worth checking them out, anyway. Not sure if they have discounted older helmets. Arai says they're good for 7 years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I paid around $3200 out the door including taxes so it would be a good price. I started out with scooters and the Z is my favorite. It'll get up to 45 pretty quick and Max. About 63 with the wind at your back. It's pretty stable and I'm setting about 2,000 miles. The first key to safety is BE SEEN. I always wear a Lime Yellow Jacket. I installed a Wolo or Nautilus Air Horn, Reflective Tape and LED's Front and Rear. Suitable Helmets are available for $35 to $100. They need a DOT mark. I wear Leather Gauntlet Gloves. Sooner or later you WILL fall down, so you won't have as far to fall or as much weight to pick back up. I do have a $200 First Gear Jacket, but it is bulky and rarely wear it. I usually wear the ANSI construction type jacket with reflective tape. The first thing to hit when you do fall is usually your head on the pavement. I have had my share of accidents, one a deer ran into my Kymco Xciting going 55 mph at 5 am. One other key is you need to pay absolute attention to what's around you. I do find riding is safer than driving my car. When you pull up to an intersection for a left turn, keep far left for visibility to on-coming traffic. You can also consider a cheap theft alarm. I do all my own maintenance which keeps costs in line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts