Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looked at this shock? It looks like it has compression and rebound damping adjustment as well as preload and ride height...twice the price of an Ohlins but more features. I've already got an Ohlins on my first Z and am building a second one and have been considering this one but support would be my only concern as getting an Ohlins serviced is pretty easy anywhere in the US.

I'm also looking at the RacingBros front fork springs since they offer rebound and compression adjustment and don't know how they might compare to the Ohlins kit, which I also have on the first Z.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I have a hard time with it, is it really twice as good as the Ohlins? My other fear is when it comes time that I need service on the shock and who knows where that thing would have to get shipped off to or how long they would have it. I can find any number of places that can do work on an Ohlins and have even found a few that will also work on Nitrons, which I considered at one point in time.

I hadn't even heard of Gears Racing until I stumbled across them on Steady Garage and doing a search on the web doesn't bring up a lot of information from people who own them.

I'm kind of thinking if Ohlins is good enough on my V4 R then it's probably good enough for the Z.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can always throw money at it but I would ask what the ohlins isn't offering that you need.

You can get a nitron R3 for this bike if you really wanted to go all out but at 1300 dollars that's half the price of the bike.

If this was high level competitive racing you were at and needed it then it might be an option. To each their own though. Some people love to upgrade and have the best on their bikes and there's nothing wrong with that either.

For me it's a skip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kind of where I am at on this...the features it offers over the Ohlins aren't worth $400 to me, at least not that I can justify unless someone comes up with a very persuasive argument. And you had to mention the R3, didn't you...that's a nice shock and it seems I have another option to consider.

This bike is nothing more than a toy and, with Kawasaki's 'sticker giveaway' with a new purchase I'm going to go with the 'H2 Carbon' kit and make a mini replica of my actual H2 Carbon but it'll still likely have the best of everything I can find on it. And amazingly enough, I've figured that going with an Over Racing single-sided swingarm, to match the H2, is about a wash compared to a Takegawa aluminum swingarm and BST wheels when all is said and done.

Just need to see if Over will sell me an individual wheel for the single-sided so I can have two sets.

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you can find a place to buy the correct shock from Fastace, they seem to make some decent products. Finding the model anywhere that you can buy them is the hardest part. I want the good shock and forks for the Honda NSF100, but can't find anyone that sells them and the factory won't sell to me unless I buy 10 of each. There is zero chance I can sell 10 fronts and 10 rears that fit a bike in the double digit numbers in this country, or the KAYO that is a clone also in the double digits of numbers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's why I'd prefer to stick with a brand that's easily serviced or warrantied if the need arises. One of the things that makes the Gears shock less attractive to me.

Ohlins and Nitron both seem to have a good number of authorized centers here in the U.S. with Ohlins obviously having more.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can always throw money at it but I would ask what the ohlins isn't offering that you need.
Adjustable rebound. Don't listen to anyone coming in here and saying you don't need to adjust the ohlins, it will be just right for everyone.

I'm not buying any rear shock unless it has rebound adjustment. It's important.

I honestly feel like the Ohlins Z125 shock is designed for people who want something gold that says Ohlins on it. That satisfies their "performance requirements".

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not saying the ohins is perfect. Far from it. Just saying the price difference is a huge consideration here and OP should decide if it would achieve what he requires. Again to each their own and different people want to do different upgrades on their bikes for different reasons.

I would love to get a nitron r3 but I don't think I can justify the cost that's for sure.

I paid 280 USD on a black Friday sale 2 years ago for my onlins and the cost was doable for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My forks cost 233. Huge improvement over stock but I see the racing bros one come with adjustability for 315 right now. That might be worth the price difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'd agree that the Ohlins is a decent buy at $250-$300 but when it starts pushing $500 I would say it starts to be less of a 'value' and becomes more of a, "Look at the gold canister and yellow spring on my bike" purchase. Ironically, I bought an Ohlins for my daughter's bike and, given that she knows nothing of Ohlins other than she sees them on my other bikes, she wants the spring powdercoated pink and the canister wrapped in a matte black vinyl although I did convince her to let me have my graphics guy design a pink Ohlins logo for her to match the other graphics and pink highlights she has on her bike. She could care less if she has an Ohlins or who knows it and is more worried that it fits her 'theme'.

I've also looked at the RacingBros fork kits and will be doing that on my bike as that's about the 'highest-end' and most adjustable front suspension I have found for the bike and with cost being within about $40 of the less adjustable Ohlins kit I figure why not.

I do like the Nitron R3 and, given they will build it exactly as I want and to fit my riding style and weight, it's worth it to me. I think that's the route I'll be going on the bike and will provide more adjustment than I will ever need but better to have it and not need it. Now to decide on the Nitron blue or Titanium black spring option...

'Peanut Edition' Graphics Installed 2.jpg 2019 Kawasaki Z125 with Spiegler Rear Brake Line 1.jpg 2019 Kawasaki Z125 with Spiegler Front Brake Line 2.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
I paid 280 USD on a black Friday sale 2 years ago for my onlins and the cost was doable for me.
That's a good price for what you got then. Would not pay $500 for it though. People used to actually be able to buy the Ohlins in Japan at Webike and ship it over here for $100 cheaper including shipping than us vendors.

Don't be afraid of buying from webike. I can vouche for them, excellent seller. I wonder what they have for shocks these days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't be afraid of buying from webike. I can vouche for them, excellent seller. I wonder what they have for shocks these days.
I can also vouch for Webike as I have purchased a number of things from them and have a list of some Takegawa and Over Racing stuff for the new Z that I will be getting through them as I can't find the parts over here.

Didn't think to look at shocks from them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the Gears Racing rear shock as well as the Racing Bros adjustable fork kit. I was going to go the Ohlins route but the lack of complete adjustability was what made me look elsewhere. No denying the cost is a significant investment. But so far I am happy with how these are working. They are both very popular brands in Asia(Made in Taiwan) but there's no US support besides Steady Garage. However, any competent suspension shop should be able to rebuild them.
Bike 142.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
They have the Gears H2 at 73motoparts.com and as a bonus they have it cheaper and in a color other than light blue. (black) if I buy a shock it will probably be that one.

I've heard a couple reports of YSS being decent for the money, but I haven't seen the fully adjustable version Z125 shock sold anywhere and the "reports" aren't really trustworthy to me. Need track riders familiar with performance and adjustability to comment before I trust YSS.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Out of the box it's firmer, but for track use I will to switch to heavier fork oil as it still moves under braking more than I prefer. I'm not sure what spring rate they use, but they are not too stiff for me. Before this kit I ran 20 weight fork oil with stock springs and it really slowed down the movement. I've ridden a Z125 with the Ohlins fork kit and now it feels very similar, but this adds clickers for compression & rebound. If you like to adjust settings at the track, it's great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen the YSS stuff but haven't been hugely impressed by it and haven't found much 'trustworthy' feedback, similar to what was stated earlier. Good find on the Gears Racing for $150 less than I had previously seen it, which does make it more attractive but I think the Nitron is still going to be the one. Found it for $200 less at Webike but they only ship it Express, which adds $213 back on to the price, so I might as well get it direct from Nitron and have it built exactly how I want it.

I figured the RacingBros springs were similar to the Ohlins but I do like the extra adjustment they provide. Mind if I ask you what you weigh Lobot?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts