Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my gas cap with one of those Chinese twist ones with a cheap rubber O-ring. For a while I didn’t know why my engine light was on

After letting the bike sit for a year,
I put a new battery in, changed the oil and filter and gave it a shot a few days ago. It ran for a few minutes up and down the street but had a really hard time idling and now doesn’t rev past 3k 75% of the time. I can give it full throttle and it will just bounce up and down from Idle to 3000 RPM

That cheap gas cap was letting water into my tank which turned my gas into a rusty brown color. I was running that through my pump for like 50 miles. Am I able to pull the fuel pump and clean it out? Or should I go buy a pump

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
Pull the tank and remove the bottom plate and fuel pump comes right out and seperate it and you will see the filter. and you can see and clean the inside of the tank with the large opening. . Remove fuel line and run clean gas and compressed air throught it if you can.
After reasseble dont hook up at the fuel injector and turn key on and run gas out of tank to check if anything still left into container till it looks clean. Wear goggles or glasses

57343410_797409843978353_9063007093417574400_n.jpg 100_3588.JPG 100_3570.JPG 100_3582.JPG 100_7887 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the tank and remove the bottom plate and fuel pump comes right out and seperate it and you will see the filter. and you can see and clean the inside of the tank with the large opening. . Remove fuel line and run clean gas and compressed air throught it if you can.
After reasseble dont hook up at the fuel injector and turn key on and run gas out of tank to check if anything still left into container till it looks clean. Wear goggles or glasses

View attachment 26551 View attachment 26547 View attachment 26548 View attachment 26549 View attachment 26550
Oh wow, you even included pictures. Thanks a lot! I will give it a shot this week

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

View attachment 26551 View attachment 26547 View attachment 26548 View attachment 26549 View attachment 26550
Are you sure the fuel pump can be pulled apart? I’m out here now looking at service manual and it’s saying it just needs to be replaced. Do I need to glue it together or something when I’m done?? 😂😂

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
I did not pull mine apart but have pics from others that did but not sure what it took. Looks like push tabs in just like any elec connector.
Should be able to clean everything pretty good i'd think

57038391_407312333415965_3583913031827980288_n.jpg 57068442_559980547824596_5737994608588095488_n.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I did not pull mine apart but have pics from others that did but not sure what it took. Looks like push tabs in just like any elec connector.
Should be able to clean everything pretty good i'd think

View attachment 26557 View attachment 26558
Thanks for the quick response!

i think I was yanking on the wires a bit when trying to pull apart. Ended up stopping and just reinstalling since I DID find more water in my tank that I cleaned out.

now when installed, my fuel gauge continues to just blink full. know anything about that?Everything is connected properly but does not run

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
Hopefully you just disturbed the connector. Push back up in and look for wires you may have pulled out of the connector. See pic

The flashing is the sending unit wires are not making contact. (the connector)
See bottom of chart

FUEL PUMP.JPG GAS FILLING - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully you just disturbed the connector. Push back up in and look for wires you may have pulled out of the connector. See pic

The flashing is the sending unit wires are not making contact. (the connector)
See bottom of chart

View attachment 26559 View attachment 26560
Thank you very much. Wasn’t completely pushed in!

The bike ran well but I think my fuel pump is going bad. when I come to a stop It keeps bouncing from idle to 3k rpm at full throttle. Barely moves.

but at leazt now I know!

·
Super Moderator
2,018 Posts
the idle rev searching is somewhat normal. The full throttle issue is probably the spark plug cap

If new cap dosent fix issue you can some what test the fuel pump for blockage but not pressure but yours would probably be from your gas issue so should be a good check

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would toss that pump and order a new one, they aren't crazy expensive, your injector probably needs sent out for cleaning or replacement also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seafoam...

I ran seafoam through my bikes for the first couple tanks of gas for the past decade, keeps injectors nice and clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts