Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed a bit here and there but with winter rapidly approaching I figured we could start a fresh conversation.

What fuel additives do you use?
How often?
In what conditions?
Why?

I'll start.

Seafoam.
For winterization or a hail mary troubleshooting fuelling problems.
Because that's what my dad always used and I haven't had any reason to deviate.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used nothing in my first couple tanks as it was warm and I was riding pretty much daily. As it's getting colder I can estimate that this tank will be sitting in the bike much longer than previous tanks. This last fill up I added the specified on the back of the bottle amount of stabil in the tank. I chose stabil because it was in my garage and has any easy measure device built in to the bottle. I also have two 50cc scooters and put stabil in one and seafoam in the other as a test to see how they both start this spring.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chose stabil because it was in my garage and has any easy measure device built in to the bottle.
I can relate to this "on hand" logic. The measure device sounds nice, I had a similar refillable widget for mixing gas for 2-strokes and it was a life saver. I'm OK eyeballing the correct amount on a 6ga tank but the little 2ga tank of the Z is like a thimble of stabilizer.

I also have two 50cc scooters and put stabil in one and seafoam in the other as a test to see how they both start this spring.
Yay science! My hypothesis is that they will both start perfectly fine, but I like the experiment regardless.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I use fuel additives when winterizing/sumerizing my toys.

Fill with non-oxy premium gas and add Stabil. Why? It's what my dad used. Tried Seafaom 1x and put WAY too much in the tank (if a little is good, a lot must be better mentality). Ended up with a giant mess come spring. I stick with Stabil now as its super easy to measure out the exact amount I need.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you use Stabil you need to get the new formula. The old formula doesn't work correctly with ethanol. That or Startron, both should be fine. Here is what I do:

1. Towards end of season I fill a 5 gal gas jug with dosed fuel.
2. Dose the gas in your tank. I have a tiny bottle of startron that con hold more than enough to dose a tank, so I take it with me to the gas station. I ride to the gas station, dose the tank then fill it up. With Startron you can overdose without problems, so critical measurement is not necessary.
3. Run the bike. Get that dosed fuel through the entire fuel system. Run it hard may be your last ride of the season!
4. When home top off the tank with dosed fuel from your 5 gal container... if tank is completely full it can't rust.

That's it fuel system is winterized. If you go for another ride no problem, just top it off with more dosed fuel when you get home.

Personally I also change oil/filter before winter storage and disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
368 Posts
PS seafoam... totally the hail mary play... had an old pickup with misfire in one cylinder. Moved around plugs and wires, no luck, same cylinder miss firing. Figured it was beginning of a clogged injector. At about $120 a piece that one injector represented over 20% of what I paid for the truck. Dumped a can of seafoam in the gas tank and ran it hard on the highway. **** thing NEVER missfired again!!!!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that plan, I don't really care about feeding my lawnmower dosed fuel the next spring either.

One of the years I winterized in an apartment I lapsed and didn't 100% fill the tank... It still pains me to look at all that corrosion from that winter. =[ One of these days I'll get around to cleaning the tank.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh! Forgot a use case, I'll treat fuel if I'm forced to fill up with ethanol blend. Usually this is only an issue if I have to fill up in WI before coming home and I usually just find excuses to burn off the rest of the fuel and fill up with real gas. I would never intentionally put E10 in a motorcycle.

Is Sta-bil's new formula an add-on to their lineup or did it replace the old formula? I imagine it can still be used with pure gas.

I'm probably going to convert after this year, the squeezy-metering-bottle is too nice to ignore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts