Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had what I feel has been preigntion since I bought my Z. Today I confirmed that suspicion by mixing 1/2 gallon of 110 octane leaded race gas with my 93 octane fill up. After a few minutes, once the fuel had gotten through the line, the detonation noise ceased and frankly it ran better. Great, but this is a 9.8:1 engine… whats going on here? Kawasaki claims its normal, however my experiment disproves that.

Thought?

·
Registered
347 Posts
why are you even putting 93 in
im pretty sure the bike is built for low octane 87

did you try a few gas stations
maybe one had water in it causing problems

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had this issue literally since I bought it, I drained the dealer supplied fuel thinking it was stale. Refilled with premium and have just been trying to understand why this is happening. Yes to different stations, different fuels as well.
On a whim I gave the 110 a shot and the noise is gone.

Im asking here because if its only my bike doing this then I will take this to the dealer and leave it until they find the cause. It may be a ecu issue advancing the timing imo.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have had this issue literally since I bought it, I drained the dealer supplied fuel thinking it was stale. Refilled with premium and have just been trying to understand why this is happening. Yes to different stations, different fuels as well.
On a whim I gave the 110 a shot and the noise is gone.

Im asking here because if its only my bike doing this then I will take this to the dealer and leave it until they find the cause. It may be a ecu issue advancing the timing imo.

Thanks everyone.

did you ever verify the timing was correct that can be done in minutes with a couple tools

and correct spark plug/gap was being used

if you ever plan on doing any intake and exhaust mods, then just do that now and get a fuel controller

that should bypass whatever the ecu is trying to put out for timing, spark, and fuel amounts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plug gap yes, ignition timing/advance no.
Ecu, intake and pipe will be done during the winter months, however, it really is bad enough that I am looking for a solution so it doesn't melt down before that happens. Yes, its stock and has a warranty, but I hate ruining things just because.

Safe to say yours doesn't sound like a can of marbles Mike?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ecu, intake and pipe will be done during the winter months, however, it really is bad enough that I am looking for a solution so it doesn't melt down before that happens. Yes, its stock and has a warranty, but I hate ruining things just because.

So have you actually tried running just straight 87 and nothing else an entire tank or two? I've had engines that ran like absolute **** the second I put anything over 87 in them because they were meant to burn that and they were high compression ratio engines. Would recommend you go straight 87 and reset the ECU. The noise will not just magically disappear right away either, it'll be a tank or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I have drained and refilled...Refilled and rode until empty with Sunoco 87 and 93 and kwik fill 87 and 93. In between the four tanks I had the battery unhooked overnight.

I understand what you are saying totally. Ive been doing this for decades and ran 87 in my VMax for years. I run 87 or 93 in my R3…
Only my motox bikes and a big bore SR500 required anything above pump gas.

Tomorrow brings me another call to the dealer…

Thanks Mike

Mike
This Z has me confused buddy!

·
Registered
347 Posts

I've never heard an engine that was running the wrong octane so not sure what that sounds like
and mine has ticky sounds
but my other small engine 125's sound similar too
you can hear the tapping of the valves and whatever spinning inside

can you do a video of the sound
I have one of mine here somewhere on this site

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nothing worthwhile from this particular dealership to report. "Ride it, if it has issues it is under warranty "

Nice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
dealerships can't really tell you what to do
they are the middle man, probably make $125 off the sale of the bike
and don't have time to waste looking at it without getting paid

when you bring in under warranty work, they get paid when they do the work

so either it needs to sound like its about to fall apart when you bring it in, or its non functional when you do

any kawasaki dealer can do work, or warranty work on it
so you can always try someone else
maybe they will have a mechanic that can look at it for free and give suggestions

I suggest checking the timing see if it lines up with the marks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts