Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a Z this last Saturday and put on a whopping 20 miles for the first ride. I'll admit at first I was like aw...weak sauce. But I was expecting scooter like performance and so far that's about what I'm getting. But I took a pit stop at 17 miles and when I left it did seem to already be loosening up a bit. My question is how many miles does it take before it really wakes up? Also, my manual has 2 different oil capacities listed. In the specs it's says 1.1 us qt. But in the oil change section it says 1.0 us qt. It's only about a 3 oz difference so probably not a big deal either way but just wondering which one is the typo? Oh, and I couldn't believe all the comments I got in the parking lots and even at stop lights. This little bike sure seems to get a lot of attention. So far I'm having a blast, it makes me feel like a little kid again riding my Honda CT-70...

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Never Ever go by a recommended set volume.
Good for reference to know how much to buy and have on hand
BUT, Always go by the dipstick reading because you never know how much oil didn't come out during the oil change and seems even the slightest bit of overfill blows oil up into the air box from the crankcase vent line and saturates the air filter

Seen a lot of posts say around 100 miles it wakes up a little .

+1 Big Bikes are exciting, Little Bikes are fUn ... :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
257 Posts
HAHA. I had a CT70 too way back in the day........ think it was an 83. I hadn't thought about that bike for a while now and it always brings a smile to my face.

The volume discrepancy is the difference between doing oil and filter, or just oil. I'll +1 on the dipstick is the boss regardless of what the measuring cup told you.

It will loosen up in a hundred miles or so depending on how hard you ride. If it's at the rev limiter on a regular basis I'd say it will loosen up around the 80 mark. If you're expecting a large difference spoiler alert don't hold your breath. I'm not entirely sure there actually is a measurable difference. My butt dyno says there is but it's been wrong before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts