Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike has 700 miles on it.

Changed oil and filter at 75 miles.

To dealer for clutch replacement around 200 miles, they changed oil, not filter.

Just dropped oil to clean screen and take a look inside after warranty clutch replacement.

Oil screen had a lot of garbage on it. Is this normal?

Also I am concerned because primary gear teeth look very sharp and there seems to be wear on the edges of the gear it mates with (behind clutch, I'm not sure what it is called).

I seem to remember someone else having this issue, but tied to a whine. Bike seems to run great, but if these gears are wearing prematurely I would prefer to fix it to prevent additional damage.

Can someone please weight in, I'm so paranoid about this bike after it being in the shop for a month that now I don't know what to think.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
FOX FADER TO THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE PLEASE :grin2:
And saw a video where someone said it's paint coming off from marking the bolts, but do they really do that inside the motor also ?

·
Registered
982 Posts
The filter in mine had a lo of crud, and a lot was paint, blue mostly, but a couple other colors too. Looked like a little metal too, but with only 50 miles, not enough wear to show on the gears. Some of the teeth looked pretty sharp until I caught them at a different angle. With such a small radius the teeth will be fairly sharp, but again I only have 50 miles so no way to tell if it is from wear of design.

[edit] Those pictures are almost the same as I had, minus the paint mine also had in there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yeah, Kaw'ee beat me to it. Mine was full of crap too.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fox what do you think about the wear on my teeth? Am I being paranoid?

was your screen full of crap because your gears were chewing each other up or is this normal break in?

I guess I could put it back together with a fresh screen and check in after a few hundred more miles.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I showed the pics to a couple guys at work who are mechanics. They were both really surprised as to how much crap was on the screen but thought the wear on the teeth looked normal.

Will check back in after a few hundred more miles.

I'm saving the screens, not cleaning and replacing for comparison and potential future warranty claim.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a couple bucks a piece. When doing first oil change I picked up a few oil filters, 4 filter cover gaskets, and some clutch cover gaskets and oil screens. Did that for the Grom too... and stocked up on 8 qts of 10w40. I like to have parts on hand for this kind of typical maintenance. I plan on putting a lot of miles on these bikes and its not like it will go bad.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pull clutch cover. It inserts into the case along the bottom (where clutch cover covers) about midspan. Black rubber part faces out, so even if you have been in there before you may have missed it. I'll put up a pic when I get home.

The shop manual actually says to remove and clean it with every oil change!

If anyone is reading this and you have never cleaned it, get in there!!

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
I show putting it back in towards the end of my clutch video, should have shot some video of the crud before cleaning it but was too late.
I spent a 1/2 hour yesterday going thru my saved folders trying to find the video of someone saying it might be paint from the torqued bolts but couldn't find it ..... LOL ...Sorry Greg_E ... you do mention it in the video :wink2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yeah, mine definitely had blue paint in it, same color as that applied to some of the gears and nuts around the clutch. I think there was red as well and then a bunch of other crud and a little metal, really should has grabbed a shot.

The metal that I saw looked like it was flakes of cast metal, not something worn off of the gears.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fox what do you think about the wear on my teeth? Am I being paranoid?

was your screen full of crap because your gears were chewing each other up or is this normal break in?

I guess I could put it back together with a fresh screen and check in after a few hundred more miles.

Mine looked like that and the new one does too, nothing to worry about unless yours has a whine as loud as mine was.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i probably wouldn't stress about it mine has similar marks. As for crud in the screen every couple couple oil changes ill clean mine out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts