Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hows it going everyone the Z is my first bike and I read the manual and it said to change the oil at 500 miles I believe but when I bought the bike the salesman said he wasn't positive but he thought it was at 100 miles

I just turned over 100 miles I order a oil change kit from MNNTHBX just wondering when should I change it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the help I am already hooked on the bike can't wait to take it out all day Saturday

·
Registered
22 Posts
I change at 100 miles, 500 miles, and every thousand miles on all my bikes. Additionally I don’t switch to synthetic til 2000 miles so the rings properly seat to the bore.

did you also buy the magnetic oil drain plug from mnnthbx?

·
Registered
197 Posts
First 100 miles or so on a new engine. Period. The only reason the manual says higher is because it's the "catch all" 600mile/1000km. If people see a recommended interval less than that they assume the engine is not reliable.

Problem is those intervals were established for full size bikes that can do highway speeds. Sure a lot of them spend their entire life in the city. But 1000km's on the Z and 1000km's on a normal sized bike are not even remotely close to the same thing. But I still change the oil in the first couple hundred on all new engines anyways.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. First oil change in the first couple hundred miles/km's on ANY new engine. Period.

·
Registered
270 Posts
To each their own but I don't understand the mentality behind changing the oil far below the mfg. recommended change intervals, especially since most people seem to use the most expensive and top rated oils in these things, Motul 7100 for example. With that mentality, it seems you would not trust the oil to hold up for said recommended duration or even the recommendation of the oil manufacturer itself. Then once you get into the synthetic topic, it lasts even longer over 'real' oil anyways so this every 1,000 miles sounds like money for no reason imo other than some mythical peace of mind. Cheap oil adds up quickly. Interestingly, the manual specifies every 7,000 or so miles and while I wouldn't wait that long to do an oil change, there's no way I'm doing it every 1,000 and I've already got 5k on my 2018 and it's fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I change at 100 miles, 500 miles, and every thousand miles on all my bikes. Additionally I don’t switch to synthetic til 2000 miles so the rings properly seat to the bore.

did you also buy the magnetic oil drain plug from mnnthbx?
No I did not buy the magnetic oil drain plug is it a must or something for maybe the next oil change at 500 miles

·
Registered
881 Posts
No I did not buy the magnetic oil drain plug is it a must or something for maybe the next oil change at 500 miles
Just nice peace of mind really. I like them, always captures some gross micro particles that get through the filter media. If keeping your oil 5% cleaner sounds appealing you should get one, if that sounds overkill skip it. I certainly wouldn't say it's a must have.

·
Registered
197 Posts
To each their own but I don't understand the mentality behind changing the oil far below the mfg. recommended change intervals, especially since most people seem to use the most expensive and top rated oils in these things, Motul 7100 for example. With that mentality, it seems you would not trust the oil to hold up for said recommended duration or even the recommendation of the oil manufacturer itself. Then once you get into the synthetic topic, it lasts even longer over 'real' oil anyways so this every 1,000 miles sounds like money for no reason imo other than some mythical peace of mind. Cheap oil adds up quickly. Interestingly, the manual specifies every 7,000 or so miles and while I wouldn't wait that long to do an oil change, there's no way I'm doing it every 1,000 and I've already got 5k on my 2018 and it's fine.
The quality of the oil you put in after your first change isn't in question. It's the quality of the assembly/factory oil and how quickly you should change it out on your first service.

Even if you had the best quality synthetic oil in your engine when you brought it home for the first time (you don't). It's the sediments, assembly lube, paint marker, metal shavings, and pretty much anything else that happens to land in an engine during assembly. What I'm trying to say is let's get the s#it dirty oil out after a couple of heat cycles. Think of it as a detergent on a dirty wash cycle. After that go ahead and run the sexy oil for as long as you think you should.

·
Registered
881 Posts
What I'm trying to say is let's get the s#it dirty oil out after a couple of heat cycles. Think of it as a detergent on a dirty wash cycle. After that go ahead and run the sexy oil for as long as you think you should.
I don't think he's struggling with the justification to change oil early and often during break-in. I think he's objecting to running high quality oil and changing it 5x as often as the service manual recommends for the remainder of the bikes life. I kinda agree that it's a bit silly, but at the same time when the bike takes less than a quart of oil (if you don't replace the filter) changing often is cheap insurance.

On a vehicle that takes 6+ liters of high quality oil it's easy to justify running an oil analysis to justify longer and longer intervals until you find a sweet spot. In the case of our bikes it's significantly cheaper to skip the analysis and change often, even with expensive oil.

My oil is $7/qt. So yeah, I'm gonna keep changing at 1000 mi intervals or when the shifting gets clunky. Doesn't bother me at all. I'll just assume the guys running Amsoil and Redline have 3x as much disposable income and feel the same way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't think he's struggling with the justification to change oil early and often during break-in. I think he's objecting to running high quality oil and changing it 5x as often as the service manual recommends for the remainder of the bikes life. I kinda agree that it's a bit silly, but at the same time when the bike takes less than a quart of oil (if you don't replace the filter) changing often is cheap insurance.

On a vehicle that takes 6+ liters of high quality oil it's easy to justify running an oil analysis to justify longer and longer intervals until you find a sweet spot. In the case of our bikes it's significantly cheaper to skip the analysis and change often, even with expensive oil.

My oil is $7/qt. So yeah, I'm gonna keep changing at 1000 mi intervals or when the shifting gets clunky. Doesn't bother me at all. I'll just assume the guys running Amsoil and Redline have 3x as much disposable income and feel the same way.
Yeah, I was specifically referring to the every 1,000 mile change. I think 3,500-4,000 is the magic marker for me with new filter of course but the Motul 7100 is $18, add filter and now you're looking at roughly around $34 shipped. I realize now just how much of a cheapass that makes me sound lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm from the middle of Illinois so I don't ride on average 4 months out of the year. I also ride around town 99% of the time. That leads me into the manufacture's recommended once a year oil change. I guess maybe I don't ride as much as everyone else. I need to do my yearly oil change and am at just about 1,000 total miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts