Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

Finally hit 67 (or 63?)

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  EK. 
#1 · (Edited)
Best I've seen before this was 63. It must be getting broken in. 875 miles as of today.

#6 · (Edited)
If I am about three car lengths in front of a car on a local highway with 55mph speed limit, I do not have to tuck in at all. I can hit 67mph. I try to keep more than three car lengths as much as possible from a car in front of me for safety.

When I am just cruising sitting up I can hit 60mph. Then when I tuck in I can hit 67 mph.

#5 ·
With 740 miles on it, I've not gotten it faster than 55.

Now, I'm a few pounds heavier than most; but that shouldn't slow it down THAT much. As well, the main drag here has some undulations; and 58 is tops on the easy downhill slope. Then it drops down to 53.

Wondering if something's wrong. The engine seems to have a decided lack of torque at the low end, but I just figured, well, it's a revver. But I hear of these higher speeds others are making...

#8 ·
Little things matter a lot for top speed on this bike. The other thing is the tire pressure. If you are running around 20/20 F/R which might be good for cornering traction at the track, the rolling resistance of that might cost you 1-2 mph in top speed.

In addition to tucking, size of the rider punching a hole through the wind matters too. 140 lbs 5'-7" might get 1-2 mph more than 225 lbs 6'-1". (I have no idea if this is true) But tiny differences in rolling resistance and aerodynamics will be huge on a low power bike like this. That's why we are going to see many different top speed numbers.

Just something to keep in mind.

#15 ·
I hit 70mph on the freeway the other day using a GPS. I was tucked to hit it though. Up one tooth front and rear with Dunlop that are a little taller than stock. I'm 205 pounds and the motor has been massaged a little. With tuning and different gearing I may shoot for 75.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.