Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hotbodies growler exhaust and it’s scraping during hard right cornering on the kart track.
Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can you send us a picture of it on your bike and also point out where it is scraping, i haven't seen this exhaust before.
How much leaning are you doing to hit the exhaust? is the bike lowered? Is the suspension setup for your weight?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah the lack of support on that. I would recommend bending it up and finding a clamp to strap it to the passenger peg. But don't snap or break it...

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Looks like it hangs on one of the stock exhaust frame tabs.
Can you switch the location or use a longer bolt and spacer and tuck it in towards the swing arm any more :unsure:
1" could make all the difference

We'll warn you about having NO can mount later :rolleyes:

hot boddys.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
How much do you weigh? How is your body position? How much do you hang off?

Some people have had this problem with their Yosh system, but not me:

Why don't I have it? Besides cranking the preload up to full, I weigh 230 lbs. I hang off the bike a lot. I put the center of gravity way, way to the inside so I demand much less lean from my bike. And that's a good thing because all the 12" tires out there, even PMT race tires, don't seem to have as much side edge as typical full size track bike tires. My wear pattern goes right up to the edge even though my lean angle isn't that severe. Doesn't seem like more than 50 degrees.

I think everyone riding little bikes needs to really hang off a lot. But yeah that exhaust design looks like it sticks out a ways too. I'd borrow a pipe bend mandrel and tuck it in and up a bit more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here’s a better view from the side.

Unfortunately I can’t bend it it’s pretty stout stainless.

the mount t for the can uses the stock “right side” tab and it’s just a bolt. I might try to put the exhaust mount on the inside of the frame mount. That would be a few mms. That might help alittle I’m thinking. .

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'd find a shop to put a bend in that tubing, you probably only need a few degrees of bend.

Also the single tab mounting point has been shown be a weak point. We had talked about putting a spacer and longer (stock?) mounting bolt through to get some support from the far side mounting tab. Sharing any part of the load should help keep the tab from breaking off.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Unfortunately I can’t bend it it’s pretty stout stainless.
If not bend it outright, cut a couple of mild V's out of it, not all the way through, bend the pipe together and weld it.

If you can't bend, and you can't weld... hmmmm. Get the right size pipe and add and extension to raise the can up and back for more clearance.

But honestly here's what I would do. Pull that exhaust, throw it in the garbage and put a better one on. It's not like they cost that much. If you want the best cornering clearance, probably M4 system for about $360.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That m4 says 100db at 5000rpm, does it get louder than that? Tracks are increasingly going to 100db maximum noise for anything other than specially permitted race days. Seems the idiots that built houses next to tracks aren't happy with the noise (duh, don't buy a house next to a track dummy!).

A short extension might give you the room needed to get a mount up to the "passenger" footpeg to help keep things from breaking. I doubt it would ruin the "tuned length" of that system, mostly because I doubt it is really tuned for anything other than fit the bike and look cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts