Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just installed an M4 exhaust and I noticed the header pipe turning a blue color just after two days of riding. I’m concerned about a lean condition but then again I’m not sure if this is normal. I’ll post some pics; can someone tell me if this looks normal? If indeed lean, how would I fix?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Totally normal stainless changes color like that after a couple heat cycles. No concern about running lean if just running a pipe check out my EFIE thread I checked AFRs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I thought pipes turning blue was a sign that you are running lean and 'all the the things' are getting hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you MrEvilPirate!!! I read through it all, throroughly confused myself and went out and bought two EFEI modules.

In your wiring pdf, does this “wire it backwards” line the Grom guys? Just want to be clear of what’s going on in that step with the wires.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine turns red hot and glows, I have learned it's just the thin stainless steel they use in manufacturing process and it's normal.....it freaked me out at first too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine turns red hot and glows, I have learned it's just the thin stainless steel they use in manufacturing process and it's normal.....it freaked me out at first too!
Good to know! Seeing it turn blue after one day of riding was already freaking me out!

I figured my lash was a tad on the loose side, so I toghtened it up a bit... seems to be helping a little.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From the factory they run a little lean. Putting a pipe on it without messing with the fueling will make it run way leaner. When I threw mine up on the dyno with the Thailand sc project, and a pcv and an off the shelf map it was pretty lean, but still ran really strong. When we messing with the fuel tables, it didnt really gain any more hp. So these stock engines like to run more on the lean side than rich

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah wire EFIE "backwards" like the grom guys.

Stainless turns blue from the exhaust heat but not necessarily because you are running lean google around you don't need to worry about it. Fun fact you are supposed to wipe down your new pipe after installed on the bike but before you start it up for the first time, even the oils on your hands can cause the stainless to discolor when they get hot. But I think they look cool when they color up each one is a little different.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've always thoroughly enjoyed the highly visible discoloration on my* BMW. Don't worry about it or wrap it so it doesn't distress you.

*Not my actual bike sadly. Just a good example I found, but it does have the same engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah... That doesn't look right. I would run a compression check to verify that its not a burnt, stuck or broken exhaust valve.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn’t think it looked right either... safe to ride to the dealer or should I get it transferred?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'd toss it on my trailer and haul it down, that's is, if I had a hitch on the new car. I'd call the dealer and ask if you should bring it in a truck, or ride it. Assuming that they don't normally get this hot, the o2 might get wrecked by the higher than normal temperatures, and they are expensive to get from Kawasaki.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Fire off an email to M4 and see what they say. Your dealer might try and write it off as a 'poorly made' exhaust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fire off an email to M4 and see what they say. Your dealer might try and write it off as a 'poorly made' exhaust.
Excellent idea!!! Dealer already tried to tell me it’s normal for aftermarket pipes... I’m not buying it, but I got nothing to fire back with aside from “I don’t think it’s normal”.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Those pictures are not normal. You are likely too lean. The only way to know for sure is to test your afr.

This is exactly why good pipes come with maps for fuel controllers.

A stainless or ti header turning blue just means it's getting hot. All exhausts get hot, not necessarily too hot. To be glowing in a few minutes at idle is certainly way too frickin hot.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Did you check for exhaust leak after putting on the pipe
If it just started running Hot and the only thing you did was put the pipe on then thats about it !
It will run leaner with the new exhaust but nothing dangerous using MrEvilprites data
You might have a lot of Decel popping for 20 miles or so until the ECU learns with the new pipe (mine Did)
I guessing it's like Z125riders says (post #6) :confused:
If it still glows while riding it , then i would not ride it
If you still have the excessive ticking noise you had a while back then maybe you should have a different service department adjust the valves. A hundred different things could have happened on the 600 mile adjustment that you will just never know about... and if there still is a valve issue the pipe could add to it
But there is alot of other things that could be wrong since you did have the Excessive ticking issue
https://www.motorcycleforum.com/59-...y-red-hot-exhaust-pipe-header.html#post661730

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts