Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
no, but tucked under the gas tank, seat area is the charcoal canister
thats all I've seen so far

never looked to see if these engines have that air injection reed valve on the engine, which is one thing people block at the same time removing the charcoal canister and when changing out the exhaust

but I don't think these engines have that my guess its in the ecu to make it emission friendly since its fuel injected

I don't mind the charcoal canister keeps the fuel smell down and is hidden from view

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah that is all I've seen as well. I ordered a check valve to put on sensor, allowing me to remove charcoal filter. I would like to remove the line from TB headed to sensor that creates the vacuum but that would throw a check engine light. If you guys come up with a solution or something let me know. I'm sure there is a small voltage divider that could be used somewhere out there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I dont remember if the canister keeps items from falling out under the seat, since I needed more room I relocated relays and stuff that was in the way when I put in my fuel controller. actually freed up a ton of under seat storage now

but I think if the canister was removed it would leave a hole where stuff could fall out unless a cover was made

I really don't see anything negative keeping it, except for minimal weight savings if removed \\\

whats your reason to remove it

·
Registered
165 Posts
Depending on what state you live in, your bike may not even have a canister. The California models were the first ones to require them and now more states require them. I have to agree I don't think there is any good reason to remove it since there is no power gained by doing it and it weighs about 1/2 a pound. But if you like the smell of gas in your garage on a hot day then go right ahead and remove it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Depending on what state you live in, your bike may not even have a canister. The California models were the first ones to require them and now more states require them. I have to agree I don't think there is any good reason to remove it since there is no power gained by doing it and it weighs about 1/2 a pound. But if you like the smell of gas in your garage on a hot day then go right ahead and remove it.

someone has said all z125 are ca models

so they all should have the canister

it makes sense, easier to sell them if its configured for sale in all states here

·
Registered
4 Posts
they all have the canister. there is also a solenoid valve that as soon as you remove it throws a code. I have removed the canister, bracket for the canister, solenoid, and plugged the port by the throttle body. over 600 miles with the light on but no loss in performance

·
Registered
14 Posts
they all have the canister. there is also a solenoid valve that as soon as you remove it throws a code. I have removed the canister, bracket for the canister, solenoid, and plugged the port by the throttle body. over 600 miles with the light on but no loss in performance
Will having that light on constantly cover up any other codes trying to be thrown?? I will leave the canister on..but for those wanting to remove it...having the light on, may cover up other codes leading to failure elsewhere...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah, keep the canister, etc. off but you should plug the solenoid back in and clear the code for it so that the light will go out. If it's always on then you can't tell if the engine just developed a new problem that you need to take care of. Not sure why you would want the light on all the time just to save a couple ounces?

·
Registered
347 Posts
yeah I don't understand the need to remove it either
it keeps the fuel smells out of the garage and I think gives a place for over filled fuel to go into
instead of spilling all over the ground

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me in the past it has usually cleaned up the working area under the hood so to speak. My tiger 800 is the only bike I have owned prior to this one with it still attached and that is because I haven't taken the time to work on that item. No gas smell yet on any of the other 5 bikes I yanked it off of that i have noticed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
the only bike I ever removed it on, stinks of gas all the time now

and I had only removed it because of the aftermarket exhaust needed certain things removed
and some tied into the canister so decided to take it all off

but my very old bikes that never had that also smell of gas too but thats expected

but on the z the canister is hidden under the seat
so you will never see it or gain anything with it missing to save space

1 - 13 of 13 Posts