Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Very interesting. We need to know the VIN range this affects. Whoever finds it out, let us know. I haven't had a single stalling problem myself.

It's going to suck for those who have dropped a big bore kit in. Kawasaki dealers aren't going to touch a bike like that, and they won't just give you a new ECU to put it in yourself. Recall replacement parts are never, ever handed to an end user, the dealers insist on installing it themselves and they won't ever touch a majorly modified engine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
My bike needs the new ECU. I checked my VIN here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Argh. I avoid dealers as much as possible. Those idiots are going to want me to bring my bike bike in so one of their brain dead technicians can touch it. I will likely leave my ECU as it unless I start having problems.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having never owned anything with a recall I wonder if having a Power Commander will affect the replacement.

And yeah, I just moved and the local Kawi dealer is not high on my list at the moment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer not to have work done on my bikes at the dealer as well. With that said, I have occasional stalling issues and my bike is in the recall range. I plan to take the bike in once I've received notice from Kawasaki.

Recall #2 now for this bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Replacing the ECU is physically maybe a 10 minute job once the bike is at the dealer but the wait time for paperwork, ordering the parts, etc. is what sucks. I'd recommend calling your dealer ahead of time and ask them to order the part for your VIN to minimize your time at the dealer. Just like for cars, bike dealers get paid a flat rate for Warranty/ Recall work by the manufacturer so they will only want to swap the ECU and get paid. I had no issue when I had the shock recall done and my bike was obviously modded with a pipe & airfilter visible. I was in & out in less than an hour. YMMV, however.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got my recall in the mail today. Never had a stalling issue but I guess I'll take it in and get it replaced before I do a tune and dyno come spring. Just out of curiosity I kust now removed and reinstalled my ECM, took exactly 1 minute

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have experienced the stalling on both my own bike and my wife's, waiting to see if my dealership will send me the recall notices.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You should get a notice of the safety bulletin and a separate notice with the rest of the recall information directly from Kawasaki. I got mine last week about 2 days apart. Fortunately being an employee at a Kawi dealer I was able to get the recall done within 3 days of it being released.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should get a notice of the safety bulletin and a separate notice with the rest of the recall information directly from Kawasaki. I got mine last week about 2 days apart. Fortunately being an employee at a Kawi dealer I was able to get the recall done within 3 days of it being released.
yep, just got 2 letters in the mail...both Z's are recalled for the ECU. Just gotta get it scheduled.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I prefer not to have work done on my bikes at the dealer as well. With that said, I have occasional stalling issues and my bike is in the recall range. I plan to take the bike in once I've received notice from Kawasaki.

Recall #2 now for this bike.
What was the other recall? I did the mnnthbx 155 kit does the power commander override the stock ecu completely?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the issue is just an improper factory fuel map, then a fuel controller should fix the problem right? Few hundred bucks for a Bazzaz and you can tweak the numbers all you like.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If the issue is just an improper factory fuel map, then a fuel controller should fix the problem right? Few hundred bucks for a Bazzaz and you can tweak the numbers all you like.
It's likely not that simple and the ECU recall may still need to be done. I don't think this is an actual fuel map issue, it's something else.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Got an email from the dealer asking if I still owned the bike. I said yes and he ordered it. Said it will take 20 minutes to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the included docs that come with the ECU, they pulled timing and made the idle higher. Neither can be done with a Bazzaz. The question is, did that timing just change at idle or through the map? That's the part we don't know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's likely not that simple and the ECU recall may still need to be done. I don't think this is an actual fuel map issue, it's something else.
I have a Bazzaz AFI and my z125 still wants to die somethings when I take off. If I go for the recall and they change my ECU, will the Bazzaz maps I downloaded work with the new kawa ECU??

1 - 20 of 54 Posts