Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been riding z125 for 400 miles.

But I don't know the skill of downshift in a high speed like 70km/h when motor is on level 4. I tried it one time, I almost got throw out by the suddenly decreasing of speed.

The engine is likely going to stuck when I downshift from 4th to 3rd level. I can only downshift fluently with a speed of 20~30 km/h.

Anyone can teach me how to do it rightly?:crying:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Option 1: Rev match.

1. Pull in clutch
2. Downshift
3. Rev motor to match RPM in desired gear
4. Let clutch out

Takes practice. If I downshift at 100 kph, I just pull in the clutch, drop a gear, grab a fist full of throttle, then pop the clutch.

Option 2: Let clutch out slowly

This is the easier of the two options.
1. Pull in clutch
2. Downshift
3. Slowly let clutch out and let the RPMs catch up without upsetting the bike

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not a professional by any means. The manual that came with my bike on page 73 describes the procedure for shifting and then shows a chart on speeds.
Shifting UP km/h (mph)
1 to 2 15 (9)
2 to 3 25 (15)
3 to 4 35 (21)

Shifting DOWN km/h (mph)
4 to 3 20 (12)
3 to 2 15 (9)
2 to 1 15 (9)

IMO if you are trying to downshift at 70km\h you should stop. If you are doing so to try to accelerate more quickly to get around something you need to go full throttle as you let out on the clutch and you are so close to top end I don't know why you would want to be in third gear anyway.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Downshift from 4 to 3 at 12 MPH? That's a joke right? Can you even get our of your own way in 3rd at 12 MPH? 70 KPH is ~43 MPH which is about the right time you want to downshift to 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just don't shift down (or bump the gear lever down by mistake) at too high a speed, otherwise you will do damage, eh Greedy

·
Registered
108 Posts
And I would probably call it downshifting at high revs, rather than high speed :wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi, I have been riding z125 for 400 miles.

But I don't know the skill of downshift in a high speed like 70km/h when motor is on level 4. I tried it one time, I almost got throw out by the suddenly decreasing of speed.

The engine is likely going to stuck when I downshift from 4th to 3rd level. I can only downshift fluently with a speed of 20~30 km/h.

Anyone can teach me how to do it rightly?:crying:
Okay here is MY opinion. If you think 70kph is "high speed" your on the right bike.:smile2:
Top speed on this is about 100kph (wait for Jim to correct that lol), so down into 3rd at 70kph
is not a problem. But your technique of down shifting is. As mentioned blipping the throttle
to rev match, AND how you release the clutch are keys to a smooth downshift.
I don't understand the "going to stuck" you mentioned?
You should not have to be at 20-30kph to downshift smoothly from 4th to 3rd.
Perhaps, and this is a possibility, maybe your clutch needs adjustment,
maybe a trip to the dealer or an experienced rider could assess the bike.
Best of luck, keep practicing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Option 1: Rev match.

1. Pull in clutch
2. Downshift
3. Rev motor to match RPM in desired gear
4. Let clutch out

Takes practice. If I downshift at 100 kph, I just pull in the clutch, drop a gear, grab a fist full of throttle, then pop the clutch.

Option 2: Let clutch out slowly

This is the easier of the two options.
1. Pull in clutch
2. Downshift
3. Slowly let clutch out and let the RPMs catch up without upsetting the bike
Hi, I thought we are talking z125 rather than z125 Pro.

My z125 has no clutch handler, it’s automatical, not manual.

That’s why I confused to downshifting. I have been riding another Vulcan s650 for years, I used to ride 160km/h without any problem in downshifting with clutch handler.

Is there any people use same z125?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just don't shift down (or bump the gear lever down by mistake) at too high a speed, otherwise you will do damage, eh Greedy

Yup, if your accelerating out of a corner at redline in 3rd and hit the gear lever with your foot on the way down to shift up, resulting in banging into 2nd instead (and about 14K-RPM) can result in stripping the valve adjusters out of the rockers

and a need for fresh underwear

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ohhhh.....it's automatic.
Thus the importance of including that information in your signature line.

We ALL "assumed" it was the Pro version.

I know nothing of the automatics, so am no help at all.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How do you downshift an automatic? I think that might be your problem.

Yup, if your accelerating out of a corner at redline in 3rd and hit the gear lever with your foot on the way down to shift up, resulting in banging into 2nd instead (and about 14K-RPM) can result in stripping the valve adjusters out of the rockers

and a need for fresh underwear

Did that once when I first bought my track SV. Was set up for GP shift and I went down when I meant to go up. Lucky for me the valves didn't float enough for them to smash into the piston. Needless to say, I immediately switched back to normal shift....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts