Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

This forum has been critical in my decision to modify my bike and the parts I've chosen but, I searched and couldn't find anything definitive. I know what some have "heard" or have "been told" but what I'm looking for is a real answer based on the following. I'm not trying to be a d*** but ideally I would have someone who has the same setup or is a dealer tech, give me(and anyone who searches this in the future) some advice... Maybe include certain things that did cause your warranty to be void?

The Intro-
I'm debating on whether my bike will still be covered under warranty or if the dealer will just bill me for a couple hours to "diagnose" that popping my motor is my fault. If that's the case, I'll leave it in the garage and buy the 155cc stroker kit from MNNTHBX.

Symptoms-
My bike(engine) started vibrating heavily above 5k RPM. This was slow rolling on, but it got so bad after about a 7 mile ride that I feel I can no longer trust it. It still starts and idles fine. There have been no over-revs, and the computer isn't smart enough to know that I didn't EXACTLY follow the break-in, but I never abused the motor. I changed the oil and pulled the right cover off and there is metal specks in the filter and internally, the pre-filter that goes to the oil pump, has "large" pieces of metal and copper stuck in it. I also noticed there is some fuzz in there, like maybe a piece of a rag that got stuck in there during assembly.

I think I've spun the main.

Mods-
All from MNNTHBX*(of which I blame NOTHING, just mentioning as to note I bought quality parts)

*You guys have been so supportive and I absolutely do not believe that these parts have anything to do with the failure.

LTW Primary
HD Clutch+Springs
Bazzaz + Tune
Chimera Intake
Stretch Kit
RK Chain
Galfer Lines
Kawi Oil Filter
Redline Oil
Ohlins F+R
other non-related parts and pieces

All that said, where do you think I stand?

Thanks much for the input and advice.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No warranty can be VOIDED by or with aftermarket parts. If aftermarket parts are deemed to have cause the problem that you are trying to get warrantied, then THAT claim will be denied by the manufacturer or warranty company.

Reactions: scottmustmoto

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could the dealer make the argument that; By increasing the power the engine produces by 25% via those aftermarket parts, I have gone beyond what the warranty is intended for?

·
Registered
330 Posts
They are NOT suppose to. Suppose to left up to the warranty guarantor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are NOT suppose to. Suppose to left up to the warranty guarantor.
Much Appreciated Fox Fader - A bit of my anxiety has been relieved. I'll set up an appt and follow-up with the outcome!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Check your motor mounts and exhaust mounts. Seems like 'lots of vibes' is caused by a lose motor mount, or in my case, a broken exhaust mount.

Doubt you spun a bearing in unless you ran it low on oil.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fox Fade ris being very optimistic. You cannot expect to hotrod an engine to the extent that you have and still expect kawasaki to warranty it.

And chunks of metal, especially "large ones", indicate serious engine damage.

Jim G

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
As a service writer/tech/sales/parts guy at a licensed Kawasaki dealer the first thing I would mention to you, the customer, is that it is not up to the dealer to determine what or what is not covered by warranty. It is solely up to Kawasaki. The licensed dealer is only there to inspect, advise, and perform the repair.

The diagnosis fee will stand regardless of whether it's warranty or not. If the problem is determined to be covered by warranty then the diagnosis fee goes to Kawasaki and not the customer. If the problem is not covered by warranty than the diagnosis fee is the customers responsibility. The diagnosis fee is generally just an hour or two. With a potentially spun main bearing count on two.

NOTE: the diagnosis fee gets you to the root of the problem. If at that point it is determined that the problem is not covered by warranty the customer will be responsible for costs (parts and labor) incurred to re-assemble the motorcycle, and/or fix the problem. Some dealers (mine included) will take sympathy on you and if the problem is not covered by warranty the diagnosis fee is usually "absorbed" if you have the repairs performed there.

I ONCE saw a spun main replaced under warranty on a modified engine (bolt ons only) but that was only once. Usually once you start modding the engine it voids your warranty and Kawasaki has no shortage of disclaimers in your manual and associated bike paperwork mentioning this.

Now for my 2c:
Put as much of the stock stuff back on as you can and see if it solves the problem. If it does then you need a new tune for your intake. If it doesn't then leave the stock stuff on and drop it off at your dealer and get their 2c. A dealer is obligated to note any aftermarket accessories on the bike and report them to Kawasaki. If there are only stock parts on the bike when the dealer sees it then there is nothing to report.
Ask if they have a "winter rate" for the motorcycle off season (mostly a Canadian thing).
Off the bat I'd check if you have some pre det going on which may be caused by some overly aggressive timing (not sure if Bazzaz deals with this, I'm a Dynojet guy) and your intake kit, or just some crap gas.

You could spend $200 and get to the bottom of it now, or you could buy a new engine later. Up to you but let us know how this works out either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts