Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm super curious, since I've read that you'll actually get a "worse" performing engine if you keep it below 4K for 500 miles, then under 6K after that up to 1,000 miles. Oh and no further than 3/4 throttle...
Personally, I've been running it WOT and near the redline, I can't go slow in a 40 MPH zone.

I'm new to bikes, and I know in cars you definitely have to break in the motor carefully.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is how I broke mine in.
**** yeah that's the way to do it. Get out there, get on it and change the oil when you're done.

Some interesting facts:
All bikes have several runs up to redline at the factory. It's all part of the QC program.
Break-in requirements in the manual are written by lawyers with ulterior motives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They told me at the dealer to ride it all weaksauce style then bring it back to change the oil at 600 miles. I said screw that and am riding it like an idiot and will change the oil at 200 miles, then again at 1000 or so. Just like my sport bikes. Any thoughts with this method?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent replies, thanks guys. I had already come across Break In Secrets before, and I think I'll be listening to this guy.

However, I will warm up the engine for 3 minutes, follow the manual (<4K revs) for a trip around the neighborhood, then rip it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent replies, thanks guys. I had already come across Break In Secrets before, and I think I'll be listening to this guy.

However, I will warm up the engine for 3 minutes, follow the manual (<4K revs) for a trip around the neighborhood, then rip it.
Not a bad idea

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did not hit the rev limiter or hold it at high rpm for the first 150 miles. Oil change afterwards and then ride it like I would normaly ride my motorcycles.....hard😊. I'm at around 400 miles now and will switch to semi synthetic oil in about 200 miles.
This little bike is so **** fun to ride. I just can't stop finding excuses to go out and ride it. Never excpected to fall in love so quickly with my new mini machine.😍

3 Posts
I accidentally redlined it within the first few miles of owning it. Just did the first oil change at 500 (now at 700 miles) and it didn't consume any oil and averaged 100 mpg on the last tank. I did not follow Kawasaki's break-in procedure and everything seems a okay. For a laugh read the Grom break-in instructions which are basically "don't be stupid" for x miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree it's all-but-impossible to break it in as the manual says. The two major streets here are 45 mph...heavily-traveled 45-mph. You'll get run over by a bro-dozer rolling coal if you are any slower.

And 45 mph is 7000 on the tach.

It's not a good situation. Remember, a machine is not muscle. You don't build up strength in a machine by running it hard. And going easy on it lessens the chances of a bearing not wearing in, and then failing - in the first thousand miles. Or having rings not seat. Those problems are not nearly as common as they were fifty years ago...when my old man learned the hard way, and then later drilled the lessons into me with the new family car when I was a kid with a license....but they can happen.

I've tried to vary the speed - that's easy enough, those 45-mph stretches have stoplights. Tried to stay off full-throttle - not so easy since we have some long upgrades on some city streets here. WOT in third gear, is required; or else hitting the rev limiter in second.

Oil change at 250 - unplanned but it needed it. Synoil in there now.

I have 590 miles on it. Wish I had comfort in opening it up. From having broken in a TW, years ago, I know top speed may well increase quite a bit...which tells me that at least the TW engine, probably this one, too, is tight when new. But I'll just probably wait a few more miles...1000 is a good round number. I'll get there, since in this temperate small town, I can ride nearly all the time, on my regular business. And it's easier in traffic than taking a cage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts