Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi VersysRider
This is extremely interesting. If I can get the Z to do this them I'm sold. Do you have more details? Either PM me or point me to a URL if you don't mind.
Much appreciated
Here's a link to the dyno charts of my bike with a Brock's performance exhaust, MNNTHBX Intake & Bazzaz Fuel Controller.

http://wp.me/p6HExh-3Tc

I weight 185 lbs and the bike maintains speeds above 55 mph 98% of the time. A very long steep hill may drop it below 55 mph, but it's rare.

It hasn't been tested yet (at least by myself), but the power commander fuel controller should give more horsepower. If I were to build the bike today I would go with the power commander as it has many more options such as timing advance (could be good for an extra 1 hp).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I been riding 20+ years. I have ZRX 1100. The Z125 is fun but I wish I would have went for Duke 390 just because Id like to be able to ride on the the express way when I need to.

3 Posts
I just bought my Z but am pleased to say that it's been a barrel of fun. I have owned predominantly large bikes and still own a MG 750 Racer, but have tried smaller bikes in the past for shits and giggles. The Z's 4 speed gear box does the job and pulling away from a stop can actually wheelie if you know how... (I don't but am willing to learn on the Lil Z) so power is not an issue.

It really comes down to your expectations. I wanted a Honda Ruckus but they don't have enough power to pull my 220lb rear end up a hill without losing too much speed. It has enough power that I don't feel like I am unable to keep up in traffic. In fact, I reckon there's plenty of juice to even get out of sticky situations should the need arise. The Z fills a particular niche that also brings out the kid in you. There is a reason why the Z and Grom are so popular. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've owned a dozen bikes over the last 20+ years from an old CB750 up to an including Ninja 250, CBR600, Katana, ZX-11, a Honda Hawk GT and others. I currently own two bikes: a Vulcan S 650 and my little Z125. All I can say is that you won't regret it as long as you are aware of its limitations... it's not a speedy bike to be sure but you'll feel like you're going triple digits on it in the twisties. It's a good short-distance commuter but you'll want something bigger for long hauls.

I ride this little bike more than my Vulcan by an order of magnitude. It's simply more fun and convenient to roll out of the garage when I take short trips into town. I find myself looking for excuses to just ride around and explore on the little Z. Don't ask me why.

I plan on having a stable of 4-6 bikes in the long run but the little Z will always have a spot in the garage for sure. Here she is:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’m still running a litre bike as well as the z.
Nothing like having the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coming from my 01 CBR1100XX, it's night and day.
I love my XX more than any other vehicle I've ever operated, and I plan on keeping her around. I paid $5500 13 years and 70,000 miles ago, and it was the best money I ever spent.
I call her Ember

My Z125 I got a deal, bike was 2 years on the showroom floor, so I got the '18 model in '20 for 2/3 the price...not bad. Took her home, named her Bernadette.

All said and done, I find excuses to ride Bernadette.
Group rides with newer riders? Bernadette.
Quick trips to town for random stuff? Bernadette and a backpack.
Sunny day and an hour to kill? Bernadette
Power is fine for surface streets, back roads, around town.

If I'm planning on doing any highway, or need to go long distance, or get anywhere fast, or take my wife...Ember 10 times out of 10.

The joy of riding it is to be found in riding it in the right conditions...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Coming from my 01 CBR1100XX, it's night and day.
I love my XX more than any other vehicle I've ever operated, and I plan on keeping her around. I paid $5500 13 years and 70,000 miles ago, and it was the best money I ever spent.
I call her Ember
Gotta love the Blackbird. Was lusting over those when I was tooling around on my ZX-11...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Gotta love the Blackbird. Was lusting over those when I was tooling around on my ZX-11...
Yeah, I had a bunch of experience riding, but not a ton of street time, but I seriously lucked out falling for that bike early on...
It's an insane amount of power for a 23 yr old coming from a 77 CB750K, but she wasn't unmanageable. Throttle input is really progressive, the power below 6000rpm is really easy to control, the balance of the bike is beautiful, the weight is only noticeable at very low speeds, and the reliability... seriously, I've put so little into maintaining it over the years, and I would trust it from here in Ohio to SOCAL and back again tomorrow with zero worries of breaking anything. Knowing as little as I did about modern sport bikes at the time, I lucked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Throttle input is really progressive, the power below 6000rpm is really easy to control, the balance of the bike is beautiful, the weight is only noticeable at very low speeds, and the reliability... seriously, I've put so little into maintaining it over the years, and I would trust it from here in Ohio to SOCAL and back again tomorrow with zero worries of breaking anything. Knowing as little as I did about modern sport bikes at the time, I lucked out.
Same with my ZX-11. Not as much power as the Blackbird but, really, they were close enough for all intents and purposes. I had her lowered by an inch through a local cycle shop just so I could put the balls of both feet on the ground. I'm 5'7" and she was a heavy girl that needed both my legs to support her ;)

It's funny actually... back then on the ZX-11 I looked like a midget riding a rhinoceros but now on the Z125 I look like a clown on a circus bicycle. The irony...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I actually put a 1" spacer under the shock to raise the tail, and decrease the rake angle for improved cornering. I still tippy toe that bike when it's just me. My wife climbs on, and it almost goes to flat foot. I don't know what I look like on Bernadette, but it's a blast for it's own situations, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I weigh 240 lbs and the little Z would comfortably do 40-45 mph but anything past that and it seemed to be working hard. It's plenty fast for just putzin around town / the neighborhood on lower speed roads. My current ride is a MT-07 and sometimes I use it just like the Z but it's nice having more capability / the ability to ride higher speed roads without beating the tar out of my bike and there's no comparing the acceleration of the two. That being said the Z is like the fountain of youth on 2 wheels. I would hop on and it would feel just like I was in junior high again tooling around on my little Honda CT-70. I wish could've kept the Z for shits-n-giggles but I needed the money to go towards the new bike.

·
Registered
2021 Z 125 Pro
25 Posts
So, I have a bit of an interesting experience. in 2016 I bought a Harley Davidson Street 750 after getting my license. I honestly didn't ride it that much and dropped it twice (I realize my mistakes in hindsight) and had some life issues that caused me to get rid of the bike after only 100 miles or so.

Now I've had my Z125 for about a month and it is a ton of fun. I am rusty as a rider but have been watching tons of videos and go out to practice as much as I can. It must be funny seeing a 40 year old 220lb dude in ATGATT riding this thing around the neighborhood.

Here's my dilemma and maybe it's just in my head... The Harley felt fine and normal at higher speeds but when I ride the Z at 30+ I feel almost like it's going to sneak out from under me or I'm going to fall off. The sensation of speed is quite different and something giving my mild anxiety now. What're some things I can do to get over this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's my dilemma and maybe it's just in my head... The Harley felt fine and normal at higher speeds but when I ride the Z at 30+ I feel almost like it's going to sneak out from under me or I'm going to fall off. The sensation of speed is quite different and something giving my mild anxiety now. What're some things I can do to get over this?
I imagine the smaller wheels are going to give you a slightly less "stable" feeling, smaller diameter = less gyroscopic stability.
I'd look at how stiff you have your rear shock, as for your weight, stiffer might give a less squirrely feel

·
Registered
2021 Z 125 Pro
25 Posts
I imagine the smaller wheels are going to give you a slightly less "stable" feeling, smaller diameter = less gyroscopic stability.
I'd look at how stiff you have your rear shock, as for your weight, stiffer might give a less squirrely feel
Cool thanks! I'll take a look at that. I'm sure there's a YouTube video I can consult.

·
Registered
398 Posts
if your feeling the squirly feeling while turning, part of it could be how you are turning. push the handlebar instead of leaning with your body. (still put your body out if you are trying to get your weight over but don't use that to lean the bike, that needs to happen from the push turning.. push right to go right, push left to go left

·
Registered
2021 Z 125 Pro
25 Posts
if your feeling the squirly feeling while turning, part of it could be how you are turning. push the handlebar instead of leaning with your body. (still put your body out if you are trying to get your weight over but don't use that to lean the bike, that needs to happen from the push turning.. push right to go right, push left to go left
For sure, counter steering. It's actually when I'm going straight. Just something I need to get used to I suppose.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It is basic but just recalling my younger starting out riding days years ago and thinking about what i used to do wrong. Hmm im not sure why ur feeling like that in a straight line. You feel like the rear is stepping out or your sliding back of the seat?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts