Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Z125 imminently. I currently ride a Ducati Monster daily, and want to limit the miles I put on that, hence the smaller stablemate. Prior to that I've been riding 20+ years, mainly sport bikes and naked bikes around 800cc average.

However, I could get a Duke 390 or similar, slightly bigger bike. Right now I'm leaning towards the Z125.

If you've come from a bigger bike, how are you finding the real-world performance of the little Z?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm looking to buy a Z125 imminently. I currently ride a Ducati Monster daily, and want to limit the miles I put on that, hence the smaller stablemate. Prior to that I've been riding 20+ years, mainly sport bikes and naked bikes around 800cc average.

However, I could get a Duke 390 or similar, slightly bigger bike. Right now I'm leaning towards the Z125.

If you've come from a bigger bike, how are you finding the real-world performance of the little Z?
The KTM is a fine machine for sure and would be an excellent daily ride. As for the Z125? While, it's not quite at the level of your fine Italian breed... once you throw a leg over the little guy and tip it into that first turn, you're gonna be grinning ear-to-ear and likely going a notch or two above on your vocals as the sheer joy of what the little Z offers overwhelms your senses. This is a bike that takes me back to my youth every time I go out for a ride. It's all about fun. Look at the reviews and take note of the reviewer's faces. These guys have ridden everything imaginable and they all have that 'jackpot' grin on their faces. You only live once. I say buy 'em both and live a life with no regrets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My real world assessment of using my Z125 for a daily commuter in Rush HR. traffic. It would be like driving a new, just off the show room ( insert your favorite stock auto.) in a NASCAR event.
Sure it can be done. But the little engine is going to be pushed to it's limits & the smaller seating stance is going to be cramped.
This is my second reply to a similar question.
And I'll give the same suggestion.
Going with the Ninja 300 would be a better choice.
I really like my 125 for it's fun factor. But it has it's limits.
( My other bikes ? - 14 FatBoy Low, 16 Husky 501S, 82 FLHS)

·
Registered
15 Posts
After rethinking, my previous reply.
I decided to seek out alternatives to the Ninja 300 abs.
The Duke 390 ( OP's other choice) is a great comparable! Along with Honda's CB300 and Yamaha's R3.
I know, I know... This is the Z125 forum. But, I just can't bring myself, to thinking in terms of this small tire bike being a daily commute ride - mostly, due to it's small engine & 12" wheels. There! I said it. Please, forgive me all of you Lil Z lovers.
I'm not trolling or attempting to start a war. These are my views - Your mileage may vary.
( Pssst - Yamaha's R3 for the WIN! For a cheap commuter !!! )

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Duke 390 ( OP's other choice) is a great comparable! Along with Honda's CB300 and Yamaha's R3.
I know, I know... This is the Z125 forum. But, I just can't bring myself, to thinking in terms of this small tire bike being a daily commute ride - mostly, due to it's small engine & 12" wheels. There! I said it. Please, forgive me all of you Lil Z lovers.
I'm not trolling or attempting to start a war. These are my views - Your mileage may vary.
These little bikes are not for everyone. I bought mine to roll into or on the front of my truck camper. It is not a cruiser(comfortable) bike to ride. For me small rides are fun. If I want a big ride I Jump into my Wildcat load up with beer and snacks and hit the woods.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I basically daily mine for the simple fact that I enjoy it over the rest of my bikes. 2000 miles in 2 months to be exact. It does get cramped on long rides or when I have my son on the back but for the most part it's not all that bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a V-Strom 650 at about the same time I bought the Z125. The Z125 has twice the miles on it. The V-strom is a great bike and fun to ride, but the z125 is convenient to take off on after work for a short ride. The Z125 will also make you a much better rider. If you are commuting in town and riding less than 15 miles to work, go with the z125. Any more than that or if speeds require much above 45 mph for an extended period, look in the 250cc to 500cc range. Another option, buy a new z125 and look for a used Ninja 250, total cost being right about a new RC390. That you you can't lose.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I just got my z125 and it's a fun bike, but you better go with Yamaha R3 , if you want a small more practical light weight bike!

Z125 is just to slow and under powered, especially under my weight of 240lb :frown2:

I'm currently riding an FZ-09 and bought z125 just to have fun with my kids and wife on a parking lot :wink2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Yamy R3 is a great bike for sure, but (for myself) I personally favor the 390 Duke. Strong thumper single, slipper clutch, upright riding position, naked design. Naked bike... naked women, I've always loved 'em!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I basically daily mine for the simple fact that I enjoy it over the rest of my bikes. 2000 miles in 2 months to be exact. It does get cramped on long rides or when I have my son on the back but for the most part it's not all that bad.
I've found the same thing. I can't stop riding this thing! Every time I go out for a ride, it's usually nothing less than 60 - 80 miles. I haven't had this much fun riding in years!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought a V-Strom 650 at about the same time I bought the Z125. The Z125 has twice the miles on it. The V-strom is a great bike and fun to ride, but the z125 is convenient to take off on after work for a short ride. The Z125 will also make you a much better rider. If you are commuting in town and riding less than 15 miles to work, go with the z125. Any more than that or if speeds require much above 45 mph for an extended period, look in the 250cc to 500cc range. Another option, buy a new z125 and look for a used Ninja 250, total cost being right about a new RC390. That you you can't lose.
Good solid advice. I couldn't agree more with what you said here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ive had multiple CBR 1000rr's and done track days and such. This thing adds practicality to my garage! for the daily ride its great on gas, fun as heck to tool around on and even strap on the leathers and go play mini racer... However, I rode it to the dealer for the recall the other day and test rode the new R1 while I was there... That was a shocker and sort of intimidating once I got on that monster coming straight off the Z. But I gotta say especially if you have a family, having the little bike keeps everyone else happy and it keeps the miles down on the real bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bike I was riding before is a 1980 Zed. While I love my big bike I second that " jackpot" feeling every time I ride my Z 125. I ride that little guy from washed out dirt roads to the highway. if you can keep it under 50 MPH it's the best. I have a stupid amount of hours In restoration work on my big bike but the little guy keeps sneaking up as my favorite!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for some very interesting viewpoints.

the bmw g310r was launched today too, with positive first impressions. but when i look at the 300/400cc bikes, they are all trying to feel like big bikes. i dont need that feeling. and a small footprint is better in my limited garage space.

however its how it rides. some interesting views on commuting and speed. today, as i rode in and home, i was warching my speedo. i need something that can get up to 50-60mph and stay there for short stretches. will the Z do that?

ive seen big bore kits and better flow can bring up the power, so maybe then?

i know i could go bigger cc, but theres something different about these little bikes that make them more deaireablr than a ninja 300 or a bmw 300 or even a duke 390. i even told the wife im not getting another bike, instead a scooter that is designed to look like a bike. and she bought it!

also i like the fun factor and cheap price. i can hooligan it without worrying about the damaage. thats a big plus.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i need something that can get up to 50-60mph and stay there for short stretches. will the Z do that?

ive seen big bore kits and better flow can bring up the power, so maybe then?

i know i could go bigger cc, but theres something different about these little bikes that make them more deaireablr than a ninja 300 or a bmw 300 or even a duke 390. i even told the wife im not getting another bike, instead a scooter that is designed to look like a bike. and she bought it!
A fuel controller, exhaust and intake will allow the z125 to maintain 55 - 60 mph consistently. It will cost about $800. A big bore kit is not necessary for the needs you describe and will affect reliability. My bike runs 90% of the time at full throttle and I've had no issues so far (around 900 miles). The little bike is much more fun than it's larger counterparts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know, I know... This is the Z125 forum. But, I just can't bring myself, to thinking in terms of this small tire bike being a daily commute ride - mostly, due to it's small engine & 12" wheels.
This is interesting, because the small thumper and the 12" wheels are the reason why I like the Z over the 300/400cc alternatives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A fuel controller, exhaust and intake will allow the z125 to maintain 55 - 60 mph consistently. It will cost about $800. A big bore kit is not necessary for the needs you describe and will affect reliability. My bike runs 90% of the time at full throttle and I've had no issues so far (around 900 miles). The little bike is much more fun than it's larger counterparts.
hi VersysRider
This is extremely interesting. If I can get the Z to do this them I'm sold. Do you have more details? Either PM me or point me to a URL if you don't mind.
Much appreciated

1 - 20 of 24 Posts