Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem?
Condensation/water in the turn signals.
I got the front riders left turn signal replaced while it was under warranty because of this but after a good rain the same thing happened to the new one.
Now, periodically, depending on the weather conditions, all four are doing it.
It is a 2018 with less than 400 miles but I can see how this could be a problem in the future. I am in NE Ohio and I have a place to store it in the winter but during riding season every time it rains it presents itself.
It is really irritating.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
422 Posts
It's odd that you are getting all 4. My "official" answer would be to talk to your Kawasaki dealer and see what they have to say about it.

My unofficial answer is: wtf are you doing to your lights? ;)

First thing to do is check the seal around the lens. Water needs to get in from somewhere and if the lens isn't cracked, it gets in around the edge.

A super tiny silicone bead (1/16 dia) around the sealing surface will solve this problem almost forever. Also makes the lens incredibly difficult to remove so I strongly recommend putting a high quality LED in there first. You don't want to peel that lens off later to change a bulb.

Make sure you are not assembling it in a high humidity environment. If it's high humidity when assembled any drop in temperature can cause condensation without any moisture actually entering the fixture.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's odd that you are getting all 4. My "official" answer would be to talk to your Kawasaki dealer and see what they have to say about it.

My unofficial answer is: wtf are you doing to your lights? ;)

First thing to do is check the seal around the lens. Water needs to get in from somewhere and if the lens isn't cracked, it gets in around the edge.

A super tiny silicone bead (1/16 dia) around the sealing surface will solve this problem almost forever. Also makes the lens incredibly difficult to remove so I strongly recommend putting a high quality LED in there first. You don't want to peel that lens off later to change a bulb.

Make sure you are not assembling it in a high humidity environment. If it's high humidity when assembled any drop in temperature can cause condensation without any moisture actually entering the fixture.
I bought a $8 screwdriver from auto zone.
I also bought some Permatex flowable sealant, according to the guy at auto zone it will not get sticky hard. Working on it now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The only other place thats open is the electric cable and that seems doubtful to be the spot considering no one else i know of has this issue.... Can you take a picture of the condensation. Want to see how bad it is.

·
Super Moderator
422 Posts
after further consideration I now believe it may have been the condensation exposed to 31 degree F. The gasket may have failed last winter and is not able to stop it now.
Mine has been out in -40 (no that's not a typo, frickin Canadians eh?). Gaskets are all fine. I don't think that's it but they're easy to replace and not much $$ to find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the 600 mile oil change?
Should I change to a metal filter or just keep the stock (I believe it is some sort of paper filter) I'm at 400 miles now and getting ready to put it up for the winter. The oil looks pretty clean, considering but I'm wondering how long the stock filter will last before it breaks down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts