Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a CEL during the weekend and checked it out today thanks to a video from Kaw’ee. After turning key to on, I counted 3 long 1 short then 5 long 1 short and it just kept repeating the 5 long 1 short, not showing the 3 long 1 short again. Looked it up, first(31) is vehicle-down sensor malfunction and second(51) is ignition coil malfunction. I’m no master mechanic but I can do the basics with basic tools.

Weather here is temporarily getting better and I’d like to ride ASAP without CEL worries so how can I fix these codes? Have you other riders also gotten these codes before? What’s the cause of these codes? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
After turning key to on, I counted 3 long 1 short then 5 long 1 short and it just kept repeating the 5 long 1 short, not showing the 3 long 1 short again.
Ya, my bad...
you need to disregard the first code because it is in the middle of the first code at somewhere in its cycle .. so the 3 long was just part of the 5 long in progress
I need to add something in the description for that . or maybe make a new video :rolleyes:
And its why to important to let it go through all the codes a couple of times
to make sure the first code gets disregarded..
But in your case theres just the one code :wink2:
Weather here is temporarily getting better and I’d like to ride ASAP without CEL worries so how can I fix these codes? Have you other riders also gotten these codes before? What’s the cause of these codes? Any help is greatly appreciated!
If bikes running fine I disregard the codes (mine has 8 codes right now) and running great.

If it was just a glitch, the CEL will go off automatically after 4/10mi rides if you cycle the key after each ride. (pic)

If bikes running bad see pages 432/433 & pages 143/144 n the service manual to check coil

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bike definitely feels like it’s running bad, I’m sure I can almost hear the fuel cutting out when idling. I tried referring to the book but i don’t have the “special tool set” it talks about and the instructions & illustrations are very poor, almost no help when trying to actually fix the problem. Has anyone ever had this code pop up? How’d you fix it?

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
My bike definitely feels like it’s running bad, I’m sure I can almost hear the fuel cutting out when idling.
Ya, If the coil has failures the ECU shuts off the injector (page 112)

Before having your coil tested or buying a new one, Check the 2 connectors going in, remove/inspect/reconnect and feel for good connection. And check the main wire at coil and spark plug end. (pic)

If you got friend with a Z' trade with him just to test
If it runs good after trade the CEL light will still stay on for a while as well as after a new one is installed.

Just some more guesses if your not fixed yet :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything seems fine except for maybe the spark plug end of the main wire? It’s seems more lose than it should be and makes a clicking/popping noise when trying to push and pull on it. Would this likely be the main cause of the CEL? I really appreciate the continual help with this

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts
Not sure if just the end of the wire will throw the code, but you need to fix it anyways . Looks like its sold as a separate push on part so would defiantly replace it.
Or inspect yours and reassemble first

And remember / If it runs good after trade the CEL light will still stay on for a while as well as after a new one is installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did some more inspecting and connectors seemed fine having no apparent damage but the main wire end going to spark plug is looking a little rough. As for the spark plug itself, it’s possible it’s supposed to be that way and I’m over thinking it. But here’s a pic of the wire end

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for goin MIA for about 3 months, was busy and just completely forgot about my bike as it’s been to cold to ride until this week. I ended up replacing only my oem spark plug cable with the NGK Performance Spark Plug Cable from steadygarage. Super easy, looks great and my check engine light is gone. Thanks for all the help.

·
Super Moderator
209 Posts
Sorry for goin MIA for about 3 months, was busy and just completely forgot about my bike as it’s been to cold to ride until this week. I ended up replacing only my oem spark plug cable with the NGK Performance Spark Plug Cable from steadygarage. Super easy, looks great and my check engine light is gone. Thanks for all the help.
Thanks for the update. I wish this would happen more often.

Seems to happen more often than not where someone has a problem and starts a thread. Many people take time out of their day to post answers, and then poof. OP disappears. It's great to hear the problem got solved and how. Plus you're helping out the next guy (or gal) to go through this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts