Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so just noticed my chain was missing a couple rollers and wondered what could have caused this random damage. Could rocks getting in between and just cracking them be a cause or is it something else? Bad chain tension?

This is a EK 420 O-ring chain.
I have had it for maybe almost a year.
Stock front sprocket and a Superlite rear sprocket with stock teeth count.

Arm Glove Dress Textile Safety glove

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,206 Posts
If your using 420 sprockets and feel confident about adjusting the chain properly, Rear sprocket alignment to the front counter sprocket, And frequent chain maintenance and lubing It most likely a MFG defect or just the fact the EK chains are not really known as a quality chains
The SRO420 O- RING guessing is what you got are only rated for a 100cc max engine and only a tensile strength of 4300

EK compared to other brands

Product Font Rectangle Material property Parallel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oooh, thanks for the quick reply guys. Thats a pretty inclusive chain chart! Yeah, that sounds like the chain I put on. Everything looks fairly aligned. I check it once a week, clean/lube chain every 2 weeks or after a ride in the rain and usually the day after a gymkhana session.

Either a rock got jammed up in the chain and sprocket, or it's a manufacturing defect such as the hardening process went wrong at some point.
I am beginning to think it could have been rocks/gravel. The parking lot I use does impart a lot of little rocks and I find them all over after a session.

I did switch to an RK 420MKZ chain. It could be placebo but it does feel perkier and quicker to rev lol

Its just so weird and unexpected. Oh well 😂

1 - 4 of 4 Posts