Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to learn how to wheelie this summer, when I started to get good I put in the HD clutch. The next day doing a wheelie my chain snapped. The master link gave out, So I put in a new master link while I Was waiting for new chain and sprockets. Right away I noticed the bike is making a CLACK metal on metal sound and I can't seem to keep the chain tight. So I got new sprockets and a new protapeper chain. put it on and for a couple days the CLACK was gone. Then it came back. Last night when I was doing about 50mph the chain just snapped and I had to walk the bike home a mile. Did I **** something up really bad in the gearbox? Just a bad chain? Poor techique on my wheelies? Please help. I'm going to buy another chain today and I don't want to snap it but I also want to ride wheelies. Thanks in advance

· Registered
95 Posts
If the first broken chain wound around the countershaft sprocket you may have done some damage to the sprocket shaft. The Z125 seems to stretch the chain quickly and if you're aggressive with the clutch will be even worse.

· Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
Brand new sprockets and chain I'd guess you over-tighten the chain slack.
Didn't align the wheel/sprocket straight to the front sprocket.
Assembled the master link wrong.
Rear sprocket hub bearing bad and setting chain slack at a bad position.

Don't think anything in the gear box could do that, even if it locked up.

Happening all the time with multiple set ups really got to go with over-tightening the chain slack or bad rear hub bearing.
Firmly grab the rear sprocket at the top and shake it hard side to side and feel/watch for any excessive movement

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Happening all the time with multiple set ups really got to go with over-tightening the chain slack or bad rear hub bearing.
Firmly grab the rear sprocket at the top and shake it hard side to side and feel/watch for any excessive movement

Ok thank you I'm working on it tomorrow I'll update with my findings lol

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So I took the wheel off because I'm going to paint it. the wheel/hub assembly came off in 2 pieces, I'm guessing that's not good.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks normal. But would need to handle it to see any issues

Make sure these #3 spacers get installed right on reassembly

View attachment 27542
Thank you....I may have found the problem...the rubber Cush drive pads are pretty beat up...I'll post pics tomorrow. Could that be the issue or should I look deeper. Also the rear sprocket had about 1/8th inch or less of play in it when I tested it as you advised earlier. Should I replace the bearing while I have the rear wheel off? They don't cost much from what I've seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts