Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a problem with the stock adjuster it wont even up no matter what i do. i try to get them even as possible but the chain gets too tight

·
Registered
368 Posts
Set the left one first based on correct chain slack, then set the right one to match the left.

Once done re-check slack. You may need to do it one more time.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Try setting both sides to 2 1/2 notches / Then check chain / if loose set both sides to 2 3/4 / check chain / if loose / set bot sides to 3 notches / check chain / repeat untill chain is adjusted correctly .....
In other words only check the adjustment when both sides are at the same notch settings ... otherwise you can start chasing your tail so to speak
And the difference of 1/4 of a notch movements makes a chain to tight or to loose ..
so only make 1/4 notch adjustments at a time
https://www.z125owners.com/forum/ka...e-tech-maintenance-diy-videos.html#post111418

·
Registered
875 Posts
Forget the notches. They are about as accurate as the speedo on this bike. Set the left side and adjust the right side so the sprockets are aligned.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I felt like my bike always pulled a bit to the right, but assumed it was in my head because it was new.

I took the chain adjusters off the bike and measured from the end of swingarm to different adjustment marks... and off course the marks on both sides were different!

So now I set tension, measure back from end of swingarm, and match on the other side.

If the alignment is really far off when you set the tension it can cause the "chasing your tail" thing Kaw'ee was talking about.

Overall I think the bast way is to use the marks, set equally, check tension. If it is good, measure from back of swingarm to locate adjuster on left hand side, then adjust right to match. Recheck tension, if good tighten everything up.

My GF's grom's marks are innacurate as well. Also the older Ninja 500 I flipped. The ones on my 92 Yamaha are accurate (lucky?). My old Ninja 250 had accurate marks too.

Every new bike I adjust chain on now I measure to see if I can rely on the swingarm notches or not.

I guess I'm assuming that the ends of the swingarm are the same length. Measuring from the pivot is probably the best thing to do.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Really should measure from the swingarm pivot. Harley makes a special tool for this as part of their alignment tools, the swingarm bolts have a center machined into them. The tool is essentially a long L shaped wire with a cone ground onto the short end and a brass thing with thumbscrew. Put the ground end into the swingarm pivot, move brass thing to center of the axle and tighten screw, go to other side and compare.

https://www.denniskirk.com/motion-pro/wheel-alignment-tool-08-0368.p282402.prd/282402.sku

Could probably make something similar for these little bikes, maybe a tube that fits over the pivot bolt/nut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
left side wont go past 3 notches, chain is already super tight, then i still have to adjust the right. it rides fine though

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Theres something very wrong and possibly dangerous here . I think the way you are explaining it and way you are looking at this is not how most of us do this and look at this . "If you want to pursue it" , I will help you track it down with step by step posts ? ( never give up )
I'm sure theirs others here that are doing exactly what your doing and this can help you as well as others :wink2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't even make the right ride even with the left if i wanted too and i can only make the left side so tight until the chain doesn't move, impossible to get to three notches

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Awwwwwwww , your counting the notches starting from the back of the swing arm going forward towards the engine ? / the common normal is to count from the forward most engine notch going towards the rear of the bike
If this is what your doing then set both sides at the 2nd notches counting from the front engine side towards the back ....See thumbnail pictures ...

Then with the bike on the side stand lift up on the seat then let it settle .and "MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL" or your reading is no good ... Tell me how much chain slack you have with it set there !!!

It should be loose / you do have stock sprockets on the bike , right ?
Or if post # 7 make sense now counting from the engine front notch towards the back of the bike then follow the post #7 procedure

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Forget the notches. My wife got me one of these for Christmas a few years back and it's really neat. I really only need it on the first couple of adjustments to get a feel on the 'accuracy' of the swing arm notches, but on the track bike, I use it on every adjustment as there is no need to wear out my chain/sprockets any faster than I already do.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0048-Chain-Alignment/dp/B000GTVOJQ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forget the notches. They are about as accurate as the speedo on this bike. Set the left side and adjust the right side so the sprockets are aligned.
I agree a chain alignment tool is not that expensive and the chain needs to be adjusted often on these.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts