Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be the wrong section to put this in but I need any input I can get because I'm not mechanic. I can install any of the parts and do basic maintenance and valve adjustments and all that, but I can't diagnose issues.

Now keep in mind the bike has been riding just fine prior to this. I did do another valve adjustment a few days prior but that's the only thing I messed with. was out riding last night and it was about 8 or so miles in, I was going up a hill and the bike hiccuped. I rolled off the throttle and back on thinking maybe just a little bad gas or something, then I hear a loud pop and the bike shuts off. Start looking and see that the cam gear carrier piece on the end of the camshaft has come off. This is a TB cam and cam gear in a V2 head. Is that piece on the end of the cam that the gear bolts to just pressed on, or was it made onto it and I sheared it off?

I just need to know what all damage I need to be looking for so I make sure I replace anything needed to keep this from happening again or any other damage, and also what could even cause an issue like this? Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's potentially bad in a lot of ways. You'll need to pull the head and pull the valves to make sure that none are bent. At the price of valves, I'd probably just replace them while I was there.

Not sure about the cam, but that's a serious failure. Looks like it was just a press fit but I don't have one so can't compare. If it was just a press fit, I wouldn't run it again, even if they gave me a new cam.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, I've installed over a dozen V2 and +R heads over the years and I've never seen that failure before. You are right, the flange is pressed on, but it normally takes a lot of force to remove it. I have pulled them off with a gear puller and reinstalled them using a hydraulic press while degreeing the cam and they have never budged afterward for me. But this one might have had a looser fit than normal.

Is there a chance you disturbed something in that area when you did your valve adjustment? I agree with Greg_E that you need to pull the head and inspect the valves and piston to see if they hit. TB sells replacement valves so depending on the inspection results you might not need to replace the entire head, just a bent valve if you are lucky.

I would send an email to TB with your photos to see what they think caused it. They have a pretty good reputation for selling quality parts so I would think they might be interested in this failure or they might suggest a cause. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts