Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@Kaw'ee, what DID you do? Any pictures? My plan is to delete the canister since the Hoedar wont ever actuate the purge valve...

I thought the Z had a vent in the gas cap to let air in and that tube was basically just an overflow for the guys who put too much gas in when filling up at Costco...
Pic 6 in OP is what i did but have a hose coming out of a aftermarket cap now.

The cap works as shown in pic 1

The overflow hose is the lower level hole in tank front/left as shown in pic 2

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like The purge valve needs to stay wired or check engine will come on. Or I read you can use a resister of the same value thing as a way to eliminate the purge valve. Remember seeing the resistance value in the service manual, but didnt research it much due to my CEL not working anyways.

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Because this vent is supposed to flow into a closed canister I'm guessing the location is designed to not allow liquid into it at all. Based on the schematic Kaw'ee posted it looks like the vent line in question is raised above the floor of the overflow chamber, while the overflow line sits on the bottom of that area to grab the spilled fuel.
Ya, the cap does all the venting the rubber vent hole up top excepts the nipple on the cap.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah, your picture really helps. I've never noticed that little pass-through. From the seat the cap obscures it.

What's your new gas cap look like? I don't think I've seen a post on it yet. ;]

·
Super Moderator
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ya, to busy with G-Pop daycare..Wife broke knee and shes in a hip to ankle brace so havent had time for anything last 2 weeks except all her comments. I will snap a few !! Carb still looking good waiting on pilot jets now... But shifting into second gear full throttle is breaking the tire loose with my 230lbs on it so still have high hopes ...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Great info guys! I'm likely going to run a Hoedar and I don't think it actuates the solenoid. This seems problematic to me... I have a non-Cali stock ECU I can probably swap over from my wrecked Z, or I can install the Hoedar, or remove everything and just leave the solenoid in place.... I like the @mnnthbx idea but not sure if that is going to end up trapping gas vapors.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I guess I'm not even sure what the purge valve accomplishes. Crazy emissions stuff.

As designed: Alleviates gas tank vapor pressure into emissions canister. Occasionally dumps fumes into intake.

Without purge: Alleviates gas tank vapor pressure into intake... potential to pull vacuum on gas tank?

Without purge and vented to atmosphere: Alleviates gas tank vapor pressure into atmosphere. CA cries itself to sleep, bike runs fine. Life is good?

·
Super Moderator
207 Posts
As Kaw'ee requested I've finally completed a bypass plug that I'm 99.9% sure will work. Plug and play with exact fit to the stock harness. Duplicates the signal that the stock purge valve would produce so your ECU doesn't know it's missing. No check engine light! Since I don't have access to any CA models I'll need some volunteer testers. Kaw'ee, yours is in the mail since it was your idea anyways.

Volunteer tester criteria:
Regular forum participant
Somewhat mechanically inclined
Z125 CA model owner
Desmog/race/carb conversion or for whatever reason, you need to be performing/have already performed this mod
Willing to ride a minimum of 200miles within a month of receiving and installing the prototype
Willing to provide feedback
2020-06-28 11.34.37.jpg
2020-06-28 11.38.23.jpg

If you're interested in testing please PM me or email [email protected]. It will cost you $15USD including shipping to your door (which will be about half price of retail when they finally go up on the site). When you're done it's yours. If it doesn't work I'll keep sending you revisions on my dime until it does (again, I'm 99.9% sure this will work).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts