Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY :rolleyes:

I will be going with aftermarket gas cap so it wont be hooked up anyways...

Pic 1 & 2 (blue) / Remove the vent hose at the canister only

Pic's 1 & 2 (red) / completely remove the two hoses from the purge valve that go to canister and throttle body

Pic 2 / Remove the connector from the purge valve
Pic 3 & 4 (yellow) / Remove the purge valve and holding bracket

Pic 5 (yellow) / Tape off main harness purge valve connector

Pic 1 & 2 / Remove the canister strap and canister
Pic 1 & 2 (white) / Remove canister holding bracket

Pic 6 (yellow line) / Re-route the vent hose down to bottom of frame (anywhere) and use the non Ca. model Fuel tank breather #14069-1004 if you want.

Pic 7 (yellow) / Plug off throttle body intake line

Not sure if this will throw a CEL code for others. May have to jump the purge valve connector ?

Still need to check for gas tank venting properly and will update with gas cap mod if necessary.

Attachments

Reactions: Ando

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not much. 1lb ? / surprisingly the canister is super light and purge valve weighs more than all the other parts put together. feels like a half a roll of quarters

But never known smog to benefit performance. so why have it in the mix

and seeing on FB quite a few guys are having venting problems with the gas tank . Could be something with smog stuff ?
So going with a aftermarket cap and it will bypass the Ca. model vent line anyways

All Just maybes that could be affecting performance ?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yuck. California ruins everything.... On my big red Honda I just plugged the tubes with marbles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On my big red Honda I just plugged the tubes with marbles.
Removing the solenoid will throw a code at key on unless the ECU sees a similar voltage reading to when the solenoid was connected. Plugging it back into the harness and riding for a few cycles should clear the code. Have you ridden your bike since removing it? Any CEL light on?

Leaving it plugged in or doing the "marbles" trick is much simpler. Unless you can feel the 1 lb. weight savings, this doesn't do much. It might make you feel better, though. FWIW, I pulled all but the solenoid off my race bike but now my Hoedar ECU doesn't even see the solenoid. It runs the same. But if you have a fuel venting problem, then remove it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removing the solenoid will throw a code at key on unless the ECU sees a similar voltage reading to when the solenoid was connected. Plugging it back into the harness and riding for a few cycles should clear the code. Have you ridden your bike since removing it? Any CEL light on?
Not sure if this will throw a CEL code for others. May have to jump the purge valve connector ?
my CEL has been on for 6 months due to no 02 sensor

and why i stated the above note. {quote}

Do you know if just a jumper wire can be used or is it like by passing the vehicle down sensor that needs a resistor to jump

I can not test this for anybody because my CEL is already on for other reasons

not doing it for the weight. more for avoiding a future problem with stuck valve or bad rotted, pinched, or cracked hose and a direct open air intake leak
And more of a stripped down pit bike thing

·
Registered
794 Posts
Pic 6 (yellow line) / Re-route the vent hose down to bottom of frame (anywhere) and use the non Ca. model Fuel tank breather #14069-1004 if you want.

Anyone know exactly what the plastic piece that Kawee references above actually does? Does it keep from sucking shite up back into the tank?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dunno, neither of my bikes have one. This is the in-line chamber on the left side of the bike right?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Seems like it should work assuming it will only see vapor. Though we always had those on our dirt bikes and they never fouled up from the occasional liquid gas.

This is from my limited understanding though, @Kaw'ee would have the best idea since he took the whole thing apart.

·
Super Moderator
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I myself wouldn't use a 1-way breather. Not only do you need to let air in as the fuel level gos down. On hot days especially with a low fuel level the air/fuel expands inside the tank and needs to be vented out. Or if it does mist out i would want it not over the engine.

I did not use the OEM breather but figured most would want to use the non-ca model stock design when doing the smog delete.

The cap itself is vented so no need for anything as long theres a line thats long enough away from the tank just to make sure nothing backtracks into the cap vent I thinking.

Tank Pressure

·
Vendor
686 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Works perfectly in that application.

On the Grom or the Z as well?

@Kaw'ee, what DID you do? Any pictures? My plan is to delete the canister since the Hoedar wont ever actuate the purge valve...

I thought the Z had a vent in the gas cap to let air in and that tube was basically just an overflow for the guys who put too much gas in when filling up at Costco...

·
Registered
896 Posts
^Agreed^ I think the venting to prevent a vacuum condition in the tank should theoretically still be working as designed after this mod. They are separate vents.

For my own sanity, which way do these one way valves check? I'm used to seeing them on top of a gas cap, but that could be IN or OUT only, depending on what you are trying to accomplish. We are trying to use it in an OUT only application here.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A bit of research says that those valves aren't actually one-way, but instead are two way for gasses and no ways for fuel (a ball bearing seals the valve when moved by liquid). Which makes perfect sense in an offroad application (and explains why they rattle). If installed upside down, it does seem possible that the valve would constantly be closed rendering the vent useless.

Because this vent is supposed to flow into a closed canister I'm guessing the location is designed to not allow liquid into it at all. Based on the schematic Kaw'ee posted it looks like the vent line in question is raised above the floor of the overflow chamber, while the overflow line sits on the bottom of that area to grab the spilled fuel.

So... I think the best option is just to delete the canister and add a simple mesh to the end of the line? No fancy valve needed. It's quite possible that I'm missing something still.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts