Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removed kickstand kill switch assembly and trimmed wires just under the plug-in by tank and twisted the two wires together and unplugged the clutch plug-in kill switch and made a small horseshoe-wire for the plug and taped it up . also cut the tail pipe end piece off just for the more duel-sport look .
new tires will be here friday , and stock muffler mod attempt soon as i order a DB killer i think will work. if it works i save 400 bucks , if it dont I have to Buy a real pipe ...Either way a win/win

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHY on earth would you bypass the kickstand kill switch? You are just asking for problems...
I've never had a bike with these kill switches . and I've never been without a dirt or duel sport type bike for the last 40 years .must be a street bike thing ? So besides the fact that it was just screwing me being different than what i'm used to . I didnt want a failed Micro-switch type problem while riding . and have always tried to eliminate any thing that could leave you stranded or having to repair something on a ride with limited tools. .also same as safety wiring a bike for example just for the extra insurance . duel sport rides can put you 20 miles from a paved road or even cell service .

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great picture! Still don't quite agree with your reasoning behind removing the switch... If the microswitch fails, you can splice the wires on the side of the road, but I don't think I have heard of these failing... but I don't ride off road, so I'm sure that brings it's own unique set of obstacles on a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The kickstand can bounce around if you are going over really rough terrain or bring down a wheelie aburptly. Super common to bypass these on the DRZ.

Why didnt you splice the wires on the clutch instead of putting the a clip in the connector?

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-sale ... if i sell it, it just clips back in .. and no choice but to splice the kick' but I didnt try to take it apart ? and easy to hide re-wire connectors were I cut them if i hook it back up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For the clutch. I left it unplugged. I can see this would be a problem if you stalled in traffic, you have to put it in neutral to start.....

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
I too am sick of fighting with these. Yanked it on at least 10 of my bikes over the years. Found the matching harness plug so it's WAY easier way to bypass than cutting the wires and also very easy to reverse. One size fit's most for the kawi stuff too (same plug fit's all the ZX, Z, and Ninja models for the past 15 years). Bought a bulk bunch around 2010 and completely forgot about them until the an old friend asked. Made a vid, put them up on the site, and hopefully this can help someone out.

PS: I ordered up a bunch of the clutch bypass as well. Should be here towards the end of Feb.

https://youtu.be/ltOzD4XvE-c

·
Registered
875 Posts
@Kaw'ee, I'm eating crow right now... do you have a write up on bypassing the kickstand switch? I'm running down an electrical gremlin and want to rule out the switch.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12" up from the sidestand sensor wires theres a connector, Unplug it and a make a u-shape jumper to make a closed loop.
Or if you going permanent cut wires down from connector and twist them together.
Or Kawasakibrads by-pass

·
Registered
438 Posts
12" up from the sidestand sensor wires theres a connector, Unplug it and a make a u-shape jumper to make a closed loop.
Or if you going permanent cut wires down from connector and twist them together.
Or Kawasakibrads by-pass
Oftopic, you don't just take the kick stand off and keep it in the up position :p

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Except for racing most no ones doing it to run without the kickstand. The sensor is know to fail or get bad connection resulting in no start, or hard starting Especially in cold weather due to a weak connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts