Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Do you guys really stick to the rules and rev below 4000 when breaking in?

I find it difficult to stick to it and constantly doing 7000-8000 rpm that's cruise around 70-90 kph.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi all,

Do you guys really stick to the rules and rev below 4000 when breaking in?

I find it difficult to stick to it and constantly doing 7000-8000 rpm that's cruise around 70-90 kph.
I did for the first few hundred but then gave up. I can say now that I am over 1000 miles the bike runs great. Smooth running engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I stayed under 4k for about 250 then kinda just made sure to never come within 2k of redline. Just try to not stay at a constant RPM, always keep the needle moving. I feel my bike is running great after break in. These motors are a bit noisy but you'll get used to it. Something about the engine casing being fairly thin or something. Ride safe, enjoy your Z, and welcome to the community. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
didnt even make it out of the lot at the dealership before i was ripping wheelies on mine. Only part of the break in that matters is the first 10-15 miles, and you just want to vary rpm's and keep the engine loaded as much as possible. after that just ride it and change the oil often

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rev limiter every gear. Thats how I do the break in. Chain oil at 50 miles, 250 miles, 500 miles, then every 1000 miles after.

·
Super Moderator
1,848 Posts
Pandora's box question for sure .
And tons of article on . But I try not to follow anybody selling something or unsubstantiated opinions, Not to say I dont follow all opinions because if 90% of them all agree then it's a good chance to be true. But I prefer someone with some kind of facts with pictures and actual data . although somewhat still someones opinion , the statements backed up with pictures and data help "ME" decide what to believe .
The best info I've found and ''currently" believe on Break-In is here /
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
And just like this topic, this is just my opinion :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
My shop just put a 170 BBK in a Grom. You should see how it's getting broke in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just put my 143 kit in, took it easy, under 7k RPM for about 15k's, then let it loose. Pretty much exactly what I did with the bike when it was new too. Changed the oil at 500k's and again when the BBK went in at 1900 odd.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm on the side of Motoman. He knows what he's talking about. And he's right. I've personally seen the evidence via compression tests. Let's break my discussion into 2 parts.

Part 1: If the hard break in method works so well, why are manufacturers telling everyone to break in their bikes easy? The answer is they have ulterior motives driven by their lawyers. They want new riders on new bikes riding slower and taking it easy so they don't kill themselves.

Part 2: You get better compression if you break it in hard. I've seen it first hand. And even before I tested any bikes compression I saw it on one particular forum with one particular bike: The KLR650. Some had a tendency to burn oil, particularly the 2008-2009 vintage. Some didn't. And THE difference was how it was broken in. If the bike was babied, you ended up with a lower hp oil burner, guaranteed! If you properly thrashed it, you ended up with well seated piston rings, great compression and no oil usage.

Answers in this thread should be restricted to people who have compression testing kits and have used them on new bikes, many times, before and after different types of break in. Anyone else is flying blind.

The best break in is at the race track. Just be sure to drop the oil after 20 laps, then again after another 50 or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts