Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Z125
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I’ve got a 2017 Kawi Z125 Pro with what I believe is a 147cc kit (bought the bike used so I’m not sure on everything). The bike won’t start if it’s in neutral and kickstand up like it should, and the only way I can get the bike to start and run is if I pop start it in first gear and pull out the clutch while hitting the ignition switch. I can’t quite tell if the starter is working as it should (it sounds “fine”, just very loud because the engine doesn’t catch) and the bike sputters once or twice but doesn’t catch. Any ideas? Bad starter clutch? Bad fuel? Disconnected wiring harness? Battery seems fine too. My CEL is one and I did the code thing and as far as I know it’s flashing a “21” which I think is the crankshaft position sensor.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
Bike should start with kickstand down if in neutral and kill switch off
POP START, You mean a rolling bump start
(pull out the clutch while hitting the ignition switch ?)

Starter turns, but engine not turning over and Bump starts are all signs of bad starter clutch and/or Limiter gear.

Bad crankshaft sensor (code 21) and bike should not run at all (see chart)
If you can post a video of the CEL light we can help verify
And a video of the starter sound tells us a lot.

There are Bad starter issue sounds on this thread, Scroll down about 3/4 of page "STARTER ISSUES"

SIDESTAND KILL.JPG

30703710_429693277475157_4770049129147531264_n.jpg s-l1600 (30).jpg

CEL DFI BACKUPS.JPG

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Z125
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here’s a link to the video the bike is making while trying to start it:

Here’s a link to the video with the CEL flashes. I could be misreading the flashes—and then I’ll feel really dumb:

I’m assuming the starter clutch/limiter gear is the same thing? I don’t mind taking things apart and fixing, I’d just like to know what I’m getting into. If I’m relatively mechanically inclined, is this something I can do on my own without screwing anything up?

·
Super Moderator
1,875 Posts
In first video the CEL will stay on until first engine start, then will go off
But, You do have a code 21. Crankshaft Sensor
You say it does run once bumped started ?
It might have burped and will go off after the 4 rides reset (pic)
CEL ERACING - Copy.jpg

Unplug connector, inspect pins and reconnect firmly
CRANKSHAFT CONNECTOR.JPG

You have the standard Limiter gear and or starter clutch problem
They are 2 different parts and still no proof which one gos bad first and makes the other go bad, So best to replace both while your in there.
And you need a puller (pic)

STARTER - Copy.jpg TB Flywheel Puller.jpg

Listen to these video in link above
STARTER NOISE #2 (whine / fast free spin)
FIX / Limiter # 39076-0022
https://www.facebook.com/Colticus/videos/10157957070768118/
And starting to look like a bad one-way clutch might be the cause
FIX / One way clutch # 13194-0019

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fyi u don't need to hit the starter/ignition switch as long as key is in on position and the kill switch is in the on position when trying to bump start. Just run/roll with bike in a gear and holding the clutch then release clutch.

I had a very weird sound from the bike that was sold by insurance after theft trying to bump start it once. It sounded like part of it did start up but the engine itself did not come one. So it was making funny ticking noises and had to turn it off to get it to stop. Second time bump start on a different day worked just fine. Did you have anything like that?

Of note u need a new rear tire...

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Z125
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the great information. I'll purchase the Limiter Gear and the Starter Clutch and the TB flywheel puller and see where that takes me. Thank you for the recommendation on parts. I'll also check the connector for the crankshaft sensor and the other switches and fuses just to be sure. Do I need to invest in a new gasket as well? Maybe should for piece of mind and they're pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Z125
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. I'll see about getting it to start with just the key in the ON position, bike in gear, and clutch pulled in versus also trying to use the starter--which seems to be part of the problem with it not starting in the first place because of the potentially worn out starter clutch / limiter gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts