Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this problem on both my wife's and my own Z125, but our keys seem to be made from some really soft metal. My ignition is fine and smooth, but one time my wife's steering column was really hard to unlock and I found that the key was getting bent/twisted pretty badly, I'm just glad I didn't break it off inside, but afterwards it operated smoothly.

The seat release latch is likewise very tight and I was worried I would break my key off inside today with my helmet stuck on the hook.

Has anyone else experienced this? I worry it's only a matter of time before either of our keys snaps from all the bending and straightening. I am considering ordering some extra keys from our dealership but I will be disappointed if they are made from the same soft metal.

Has anyone managed to source a higher-quality blank and have a copy cut? Or know if copies from Kawasaki are better than the ones you got with the bike?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a technique for accessing the under seat area, which is to push downwards on the passenger area to release pressure on the latch mechanism, and now the key turns much more easily.

This is after I got stronger keys copied at a local locksmith (which don't work yet - still need to Dremel down a bit), and bought helmet locks. All that money spent for nothing... but at least I am a bit more confident I won't break my key while I'm out on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It took a bit of work but I finally got both of the new keys working. I had to file each wide side just a hair thinner, as well as Dremel the cutout a bit further up the blade. So you guys can know that even if the blank isn't an exact match, you can still make a working key out of it.

edit: and now that I have 10 posts, I can edit my posts instead of spamming repeatedly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It took a bit of work but I finally got both of the new keys working. I had to file each wide side just a hair thinner, as well as Dremel the cutout a bit further up the blade. So you guys can know that even if the blank isn't an exact match, you can still make a working key out of it.

edit: and now that I have 10 posts, I can edit my posts instead of spamming repeatedly!
I got two spares made (lost my keys) at the local locksmith using my key tag code [GXXXX] but they don't work. What did you file down - I'm unsure what you're referring to by "wide side" and "further up the blade"

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got two spares made (lost my keys) at the local locksmith using my key tag code [GXXXX] but they don't work. What did you file down - I'm unsure what you're referring to by "wide side" and "further up the blade"

Thanks!
My local locksmith cut a spare for me that works perfectly. I didn't have to do an filing or tweaking and it works just as well as the oem. If you have a straight key left, take it to a good local locksmith, preferably one with experience cutting motorcycle keys, and ask them to duplicate it. The blank my locksmith used is a ILCO KW14. Like I said before, the ilco blank didn't need any filing or tweaking to work on my Z. If you lost both of your original keys, the best bet is to go to your dealer and ask them for a replacement. I doubt that it will be cheap, but they are your best bet to get a key that works correctly, and most dealers will guarantee the key will work. Even if you end up going to the dealer, I'd still suggest taking that key to a locksmith and having a couple spares cut using the ILCO blank (locksmiths usually charge a lot less than a Kawasaki dealer)
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Many thanks, I'm going to head back there at lunch and grab a couple in the KW14 blank instead - they used KAW-7P and they look different than most pictures I found on the forums here of stock keys.

*edit* The KW14 worked!! Thank you so much for the tip!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Who would have known that locksmiths need to spam to get business. Isn't that like your local grocery store trying to drum up business on the internet?

It might actually be better if people can post links right away, then we don't have useless posts being made on random threads to get them up to that magical 5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts