Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seek the collective knowledge of the group on this question. Like many here I am going to do the BBK with all the necessaries but.... I do not want the VOLUME that seems to be associated with the aftermarket pipes even though I am not crazy about the sewing machine sound put forth by the stocker. My question is basically this;

1. Is the stock exhaust compatible with installing the BBK , V2 race head, intake, throttle body, ECU etc ? (I know I will not gain the full power potential of the build with using it)

2. What data is available as to what I will sacrifice in hp and/or torque if stock exhaust is compatible but use it anyway? I have seen the wonderful table that was put together by Kaw'ee in another thread that showed the various mods & $$ & associated hp gain. ( that might be the answer to my second question).

After scanning this forum it appears that most of the inexpensive pipe options are of low build quality and have demonstrated poor mounting options that break away - and are loud.

I appreciate the input !

·
Registered
34 Posts
The stock exhaust is restrictive with a stock motor, adding an aftermarket exhaust along with getting the fueling correct improves performance. Adding more exhaust gas volume with a BBK to a restrictive exhaust will not help. You will pick up some performance but will be restricted by the stock exhaust. You get what you pay for, the less expensive exhaust options are not the same build quality as the more expensive options. The cheap stuff is a copy of what has had R&D time & $'s invested. You can start with a $100 exhaust and upgrade latter if you want, the stainless is lower quality and thinner. A Time and money spent on the mods you outlined with a stock exhaust seems to be a waste. If you're trying to keep noise down then keep the stock air box/filter, the intake noise from an aftermarket intake system is loud.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have heard of someone putting a baffle in the Yoshi exhaust to turn the volume down. I love the Brute exhaust on my bike, but if I had to do it again (3rd time), I'd go with the Yoshi.

·
Super Moderator
380 Posts
I feel your pain @Dean. I have two fairly loud bikes in the garage and just can't bring myself to make the Z annoy the neighbors too. Part of this little bikes charm to me is it's unimposing nature. Loud would destroy that.

Following because I want to see how this turns out. But as others have mentioned if you want the power it needs to breathe better. I'm hoping someone will find a relatively quiet exhaust that flows higher volume than the stocker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel your pain @Dean. I have two fairly loud bikes in the garage and just can't bring myself to make the Z annoy the neighbors too. Part of this little bikes charm to me is it's unimposing nature. Loud would destroy that.

Following because I want to see how this turns out. But as others have mentioned if you want the power it needs to breathe better. I'm hoping someone will find a relatively quiet exhaust that flows higher volume than the stocker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will let you and the others know. I spoke with two of the popular after market companies . Knowing I won't get all the power from the BBK "can I use the stock exhaust " one answer was yes ... the other answer was " you better be careful, I have heard some guys have over heated... " which I can see how this might happen since the gasses might not be able to escape quickly enough. Just don't know what to think. There doesn't seem to be any true db measurements out on the net with the different pipes.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
I’ve run the 143kit with stock exhaust and it loses a bit of top end but seems better in the low to mid range.
The one thing I noticed is it runs a bit hotter so maybe get a oil cooler if you want to run stock exhaust.
The other thing that kills the power on the Z is the stock intake it stops the engine from breathing.
If you go with a pipe and don’t do the intake the pipe will do squat!
If your still running the stock intake try running the bike without it and see the difference even if its still a 125 you will be impressed.
I’ve actually put my bike back to stock but still running Kawasaki Brads 02 eliminator plus intake mod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts