Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I just purchased a second hand bazzaz controller for my Z.
It’s currently got a custom intake, exhaust, HD clutch and lightened primary gear. Big bore kit is next but that won’t be for a month or 2.

My question is can I harm anything by installing the bazzaz WITHOUT programming/tuning.
I plan to get it properly tuned on a dyno once the big bore kit is installed.

As far as I know with the map jumper unplugged (map 2) it uses stock ECU settings.

I’d like to install it before the big bore kit but just want to make sure I won’t hurt anything.
PS- I don’t have a laptop

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go ahead install it. Use the maps that is close to your setup on bazzaz site and download them and install them using your computer to the bazzaz.

That way you know better what sort of map your running. Map 2 can be modified too so you don’t know what’s on it currently.

When you’ve done this your good to run the bike till it’s tuned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oops. I just saw you don’t have a laptop.

My method will not work. I’m sure you know someone with a laptop that you can borrow for an hour. Or buy one. I had to buy one when I got my bazzaz. I paid $30 for it. It was running windows xp but it got the job done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve got a laptop to use now :)

Also, the previous owner said they didn’t modify map 1 or map 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put it in today and I’ve got a couple issues.

Firstly, in the installation manual there’s a bit about plugging in an O2 stabilizer (section 5.9) I don’t have this? I assume it’s quite important?
The bike works without it.
I’m thinking maybe the seller forgot to send it?

Secondly, when I connect to the laptop it doesn’t communicate. A window pops up saying connect to device, but it says in red “tried all available ports - without success”.
It won’t sync to the bike for some reason. The red ‘diag’ light is on when it’s plugged in.
Any ideas?

thanks, Daniel

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I wish I could offer more help. But my experience is with Power Commander and not Bazzaz. However, you do need an O2 optimizer to run a fuel controller. Do you have a check engine light? The previous owner may have it plugged in and you just don't know it.

If I was in your shoes I'd try to make nice with a Bazzaz dealer so you can get some product support. Watch some youtube vid's, download the manual, etc. Pretty steep learning curve at the beginning with fuel controllers. But it's worth it once you get the hang of things.

·
Vendor
697 Posts
I put it in today and I’ve got a couple issues.

Firstly, in the installation manual there’s a bit about plugging in an O2 stabilizer (section 5.9) I don’t have this? I assume it’s quite important?
The bike works without it.
I’m thinking maybe the seller forgot to send it?

Secondly, when I connect to the laptop it doesn’t communicate. A window pops up saying connect to device, but it says in red “tried all available ports - without success”.
It won’t sync to the bike for some reason. The red ‘diag’ light is on when it’s plugged in.
Any ideas?

thanks, Daniel
(1) DO NOT run that bike without the stabilizer. The Bazzaz and ECU will continuously battle each other until your base ECU map is off in never land.
(2) You have to download the Bazzaz software onto the laptop before it will communicate with the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi buddy. Let’s answer some of these questions.
1st the o2 stabilizer is either a wire type that sits in between your stock harness and the stock o2. Or an updated model that is a plug type that eliminates the need for the stock o2 altogether as I understand it.
If you don’t want to pay the bazzaz price I highly recommend you get the Kawasaki Brad o2 stabilizer/ o2 eliminator. Found here.

Looks like it comes with a bung cap so you can get rid of the stock o2 altogether. That’s what I got on my bike. Works perfectly.

2nd. Try using another cable or USB port on the computer. Make sure that the bazzaz software is up to date and running. Then plug in the USB to the bazzaz.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I know my power commander lights up when its connected to the laptop. Does the bazzaz do that or have the ability to do that? Its a nice indicator to see that the unit is up and running.

·
Vendor
697 Posts
I know my power commander lights up when its connected to the laptop. Does the bazzaz do that or have the ability to do that? Its a nice indicator to see that the unit is up and running.
Yes, it will light up when it sees power from the computer USB, and communicate once the software is open.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!
1) I have downloaded the Bazzaz software - attached is a photo of the screen that pops up when I try to connect.
2) the usb cable is brand new and I have tried all USB ports on the laptop.
3) the red light on the bazzaz lights up when plugged in to the computer.
4) How can I run the bike without an o2 sensor? I’m not using the z-AFM - I plan to get it tuned on a dyno once the big bore kit is installed.

I am trying to get in contact with the seller (member on this forum) to follow up.
I have also sent bazzaz an email.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You may need to set the port manually.

press the "windows" key on the keyboard. Type Device Manager it should give you the choice of clicking to get to Device Manager, then go down to ports and see where the serial connection might be.

It is also possible that your ECU is defective/damaged.

One more thought... Do you have the ignition and run switch both turned on? It would probably need power from the battery to work.

Sorry without being there, or remoting into your computer while it is connected to the ECU, not much more I can suggest. And since I don't own one of these, even if I could get it connected I'd be hunting around for things.

·
Vendor
697 Posts
Is the switch on on the bike?

Once the O2 eliminator is installed (it has to be before you run it), the O2 sensor isn't doing anything, and the bike fuels off the map you provide it. It can go along (dead) for the ride, or you can remove it and put a plug in it's place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure I tried with ignition on, but will try again later with your suggestions.

Ok so the bike can run without the o2 sensor (provided it’s got a decent tune/map saved). Seeing as I won’t be tuning it for a little while I need to get the o2 stabilizer so I can still use the bike until then.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey. I took a few photos for you showing you what the inline o2 stabilizer looks like. Also the Kawasaki Brad o2 stabilizer which you don’t need to use the stock o2 with.

You should talk to the seller about not shipping you the stabilizer, I mean it is part of the setup. I’m selling my bazzaz with auto tune soon and will be including both types of stabilizers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still no luck - does my laptop have to be connected to the internet?

The o2 stabilizer just looks like an extension/adapter lead - what does it do?

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has resistors in it to give a steady signal to the ecu. That way the ecu doesn’t change the fuel values that the bazzaz is trying to change. Aka no fighting

laptop does not need internet. I recommend another laptop to rule out the computer.

·
Registered
971 Posts
It may need internet to get the drivers for the usb-serial device, you might be able to download/install them before connecting if someone can tell you what they are. And then you can search you computer and see if they are installed because you may still have a defective ECU.

You could also pull it out of the bike and find the two wires for power and ground and power it up in the house with a 12 to 15 volt DC power supply (battery charger???).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After uninstalling and installing the software again it has miraculously started working!!
thanks y'all for the ideas and tips 👍

If it’s a resistor can I just wire one in myself? (I’m an electrician)

thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts