Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2017 with a bazzaz installed already. On the test ride it functioned great but as I’ve owned the bike for a couple weeks the bike will frequently flood, shut off and leave me stranded until it starts again and the problem repeats until I’m home... can anyone tell me how I can adjust this issue. Is it a literal plug and play. Take a usb and plug it into my computer and it will bring up bazzaz software and have me download it? Or is it more to were I should take it to a shop?

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
You might be thinking the Flooding is actually this issue and the most typical problem.. ?

Quote: shut off and leave me stranded until it starts again

And the video

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sounds like the Bazzaz has a shitty tune... From what I understand, you need to install some Bazzaz software, but without a decent understanding of tuning (and preferably a dyno), you are kinda shooting in the dark.

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Ok. I've been asked this one too many times but I don't have any experience with Bazzaz. Can somebody fill me in so I don't have to go down the google rabbit hole of window licking crayon eating butterfly chasing nonsense? Do they run a +/- chart as in any numbers you see in the chart are a + or - percentage of Injector PWM? I only know the Dynojet (PowerCommander) way of things.

If this was a Power Commander and/or if it works like a + or - percentage then I would set every single cell to zero. Put every number in the chart to zero and see if it duplicates the problem. At "zero" map it should be doing exactly what it would if it was stock which helps to pinpoint the problem.

My guess is you have an improper tune.

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
So the fuel controllers set wrong will actually KILL the motor ... off ?
I get the bike might not start at all set wrong, But he has been riding it and saying everything is fine, then it KILL's
I know of limp mode and running really bad, and loading up (flooding) from being to rich, but never had a bike flat out KILL the motor
Quote: [ and leave him stranded until it runs again ]....
DFI vs Carb' thing ?
Sounds like Electrical issue also maybe ?
Loose battery cables
bazzaz connector
generator, regular/ rectifier

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah sounds like a loose bazzaz. Do you just have to wait till the bike cools off to start it up again? Is it always around a set amount of time riding? Or any specific conditions (warmer day, riding more aggressively, etc)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be thinking the Flooding is actually this issue and the most typical problem.. ?

And the video

Yeah I really think it is, fuel intake is drenched with fuel when i have to pull over due to it flooding :/ I think it’s just a time issue I just don’t know how to go about it since I have never messed with tuning in my life. I’m going to download the software tomorrow and see what happens and get back to the thread with what’s going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah sounds like a loose bazzaz. Do you just have to wait till the bike cools off to start it up again? Is it always around a set amount of time riding? Or any specific conditions (warmer day, riding more aggressively, etc)?
I live in the PNW in Washington, and it’s usually after 20 min of riding when it shuts off and fuel filter is wet with fuel. Have to sit on the road anywhere between 5-20 minutes before starting again but after that wait it happens much sooner and less time in between :/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the Bazzaz has a shitty tune... From what I understand, you need to install some Bazzaz software, but without a decent understanding of tuning (and preferably a dyno), you are kinda shooting in the dark.
I think it has the auto mapping with it, in my local
I believe I also have the auto mapping unit as well, that should make it easier for me someone with no Dyno experience? Someone in my local riding group said to ride it around and just plug it in and it can make the adjustments needed for what I have installed on the bike? (Not a statement I’m asking :) )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. I've been asked this one too many times but I don't have any experience with Bazzaz. Can somebody fill me in so I don't have to go down the google rabbit hole of window licking crayon eating butterfly chasing nonsense? Do they run a +/- chart as in any numbers you see in the chart are a + or - percentage of Injector PWM? I only know the Dynojet (PowerCommander) way of things.

If this was a Power Commander and/or if it works like a + or - percentage then I would set every single cell to zero. Put every number in the chart to zero and see if it duplicates the problem. At "zero" map it should be doing exactly what it would if it was stock which helps to pinpoint the problem.

My guess is you have an improper tune.
I’m not sure about the +\- ur talking about but when I download the software and work on it tomorrow I will let you know what it looks like! Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
By flooding you meant the intake is wet on the outside ?
and not by a noticeable seat of the pants engine performance (besides motor killing)
And fuel filter is inside the tank, so ?

Kinda Sounds like a bad fuel line or connection with the wet issue and your running out of fuel
Maybe bad injector seal or cracked or fuel pump
Quote: [usually after 20 min of riding when it shuts off and fuel filter is wet with fuel ]
Maybe gas tank vent not working or pinched vent line and pressurizing the tank and overriding the fuel line seals.
Pop cap loose/up a little and ride to test that.

EDIT: In case it is a venting issue
DO NOT OPEN CAP AFTER IT KILLS

Keep posting any other thoughts or things you think of and that will usually tip someone off here on whats going on.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think it has the auto mapping with it, in my local

I believe I also have the auto mapping unit as well, that should make it easier for me someone with no Dyno experience? Someone in my local riding group said to ride it around and just plug it in and it can make the adjustments needed for what I have installed on the bike? (Not a statement I’m asking :) )
Can you post up a picture of your exhaust (your bike, not a generic google image)? I'm curious if you actually have a wideband sensor installed (required for autotune) and what was done with the stock O2 sensor (plugged off, or running both sensors).

If your exhaust has an 18mm wideband sensor and the 12mm narrowband (stock) O2 sensor is bypassed, someone local should be able to help you build up a tune... or at least show you how to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem bought mine used with one already installed , your bike doesn’t have a flooding issue. The bazzaz more than likely wasn’t installed by a professional it is very critical that a professed installs fuel tuners like the bazzaz because they have the software and can make any type of running adjustment needed be extremely careful if this hasn’t been to the shop yet you can blow your bike up if your fuel tuner isn’t 100% tuned to your bike. Go have a professional reinstall the bazzaz or in my opinion start fresh with higher end fuel tuner to be safe bazzaz is overacted I have heard way to many horror stories about people’s bikes being blown up shortly after installment. Point of the story you can be handy all you want but when it comes to tuning bite the bullet pay someone with the software equipment will save you problems in the long run. Had the same exact issues that are in your description!

·
Vendor
700 Posts
Any tuner is only as good as the map that's in it, and maps are FAR from once size fits all. If I'm reading this correctly, you have a used Bazzaz, with who knows what map in it... The Bazzaz is extremely versatile, but ONLY if you take the time to learn how to utilize it for your specific needs. You state you have the optional AFM. That will dial in the perfect map easily. Here's a very basic overlook of how that works...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By flooding you meant the intake is wet on the outside ?
and not by a noticeable seat of the pants engine performance (besides motor killing)
And fuel filter is inside the tank, so ?

Kinda Sounds like a bad fuel line or connection with the wet issue and your running out of fuel
Maybe bad injector seal or cracked or fuel pump
Quote: [usually after 20 min of riding when it shuts off and fuel filter is wet with fuel ]
Maybe gas tank vent not working or pinched vent line and pressurizing the tank and overriding the fuel line seals.
Pop cap loose/up a little and ride to test that.

EDIT: In case it is a venting issue
DO NOT OPEN CAP AFTER IT KILLS

Keep posting any other thoughts or things you think of and that will usually tip someone off here on whats going on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
Pic to close to tell where its coming from but that cant be a fuel filter, should be the crankcase vent filter. and wet with oil, not fuel ? Do a double check with finger touching smell test

If gas and blow-by issue your oil should show funky
Will Need more input on that from others here, not me

And they all get wet with oil when mounted low, and really wet if you overfill your oil..

What do you mean when you say it KILLS
Over explain it and anything else you can add..

Dead stop kills like a light switch
or
runs terrible so you pull over
Why does it seem to start later,
Anything you can add to that ? just your best guess is fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pic to close to tell where its coming from but that cant be a fuel filter, should be the crankcase vent filter. and wet with oil, not fuel ? Do a double check with finger touching smell test

And they all get wet with oil when mounted low, and really wet if you overfill your oil..

or
Well first I appreciate you trying to figure this out with me. Second okay so First I was running 91 octane. First night I got it ran good there’s back fire when I release the gas at high Rpms but I’m young and dumb and think it’s “cool” (not like flames just like pow pow pow noises). Later that night bike cuts off like it doesn’t **** off but it like brrrrrrrrs and I let off the gas and then nothing it just coasts as the rpms go down so I give it gas and just sounds like it’s drowning a lower brrrrrr. I down shift brrrrrr down shift brrrrrr. I stop lights off and it turns off.... I call the guy after I’m just trying to start it again and it won’t.... he said idk I just shake the battery.... like 10-15 minutes have gone by I do that get back on and BRAP starts back up. Down the road about a mile same thing happens.... I get it home after it cut off 3 times in 3 miles. I’m scared to death I just bought a bike that won’t work really. Next day start it up rides fine. I kinda forget now but the problem persists here and there... I’m like himmm maybe it’s the 91 octane and it actually need 87 after looking it up (recent). It’s seems to be happening more and not as far as a distance inbetween like no good days with no problems... I think your right about the oil and it going to that filter. I think that is a crankcase it’s coming from. I’m new to this stuff but go to school to be an aviation mechanic and just found out what a crankcase is actually lol. (But no one at school understands bikes well enough) but before it gets to the brrr bbrrr brrrr now I can kind of feel like bike stutter and I downshift and get a few more minutes out of it to get where I’m going (it’s my only transportation the wife uses the car for work as I go to school with the bike it’s a 15-20 minute ride and in that time I ALMOST make it to school with no issues until the very end just about everytime I take it to school) but some days it happens much sooner recently. Hopefully that helps with helping me! And I did just recently fill it with to much oil cuz I filled it with the kick stand down and it not straight up ( I’m an idiot)and I took out enough oil to where it should be now but JUST THE OTHER DAY. I’ve ridden it since so that could be aiding in this whole thing now and it happening more frequently. Hope that makes sense it’s been a loooong day sorry. I came back to edit, it will always start back up after letting it sit, I don’t have to touch it to have it start up again. I think that is important to add.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you post up a picture of your exhaust (your bike, not a generic google image)? I'm curious if you actually have a wideband sensor installed (required for autotune) and what was done with the stock O2 sensor (plugged off, or running both sensors).

If your exhaust has an 18mm wideband sensor and the 12mm narrowband (stock) O2 sensor is bypassed, someone local should be able to help you build up a tune... or at least show you how to do it.

or

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
What is going on with all that wiring... Post up more pictures (still don't see one of the exhaust and O2 sensor). If it were me, I'd figure out where all the PO's wiring goes and see if it's easy to disconnect. Hopefully it just runs to the battery and not tapped into the wiring harness in multiple places.

Next step would be to find the Bazzaz software. @mnnthbx can confirm, but I assume you can save the current tune then do a factory reset on the unit to delete the tune from the box. At that point, the Bazzaz, while still installed, shouldn't be adjusting the fuel. If the bike runs fine after that, the Bazzaz tune is bad. If it still runs like ****, it's not the tune and probably a wiring issue (based on the mess of wiring in pictures above).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts